PDA

View Full Version : Making pure lead harder . . . ?

TexasJeff
04-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Like many of you, I'm stockpiling lead. I have a source on around 1500 pounds of absolutely pure lead pipe. The cost is about right--if I haul it, I can have it.

Now, next question is . . . besides mixing WW with pure lead, what are other ways to increase the BHN, once cast into boolits, to a suitable hardness for low-velocity handgun boolits? I'm mainly talking .38 special, 44 special, 45 acp, and probably some .380 acp.

I've heard about linotype, but that seems as rare as a pro-gun national journalist. Antimony, I read, is hard to melt as it takes a much hotter temp to melt and blend into the molten lead.

And, I've read about arsenic. Kinda makes the hairs on my neck stand up, but then again, so did some of the stuff I had to do in the service years ago. Do it right and you're okay, but dealing with chemicals like arsenic isn't something I have a lot of experience with.

What would any of you recommend to harden up pure lead?

Thanks.

Jeff

kawalekm
04-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Hi Jeff
I'm partial to tin myself, so I would add 0.5-1.0lb of lead-free plumbing solder to 19lbs of pure lead. The kind I get at Home Depot (don't buy Silver solder) is 95% tin and 5% antimony. It will state 95/5 on the label on the side of the roll.

Another excellent source of tin is old pewter, which I periodicly find in flea market and yard sales. Historicly, pewter was at least 85% tin by law, so if the bottom of the object (plate, vase, pitcher, ect) says the word "pewter" it is at least 85% tin. Modern comemporary pewter is lead-free and uses a 97/3% tin/antimony recipe. For old pewter add 1lb to 16lbs of lead. For new pewter add 1lb to 19lb of lead. Each will give you lead alloy with 5% tin.
Michael

HORNET
04-02-2008, 01:02 PM
95/5 lead free solder is about $12.00/pound around here. I'd start at enough to add 1% tin and try there. If poor fillout is a problem, bump it up a little, like to 2%. Adding more than 5% is wasteful and won't significantly increase hardness any more. If you want to go lots harder, contact the antimony man (web search as one word or somebody'll probably post a link) and get some of the high tin/antimony booster alloy he makes.

Alchemist
04-02-2008, 05:52 PM
TexasJeff,

Mixing with Linotype would be the better option...solder gets expensive very quickly, and tin only hardens lead a small amout. It's the antimony that hardens the alloys we use for boolits.

What would you say to a trade...pure for lino? I have a source for lino, pure is proving tougher for me to get. That way you could get the harder metal to alloy with your pure lead.

PM me if interested.

Cheers
Alchemist

idahoron
04-02-2008, 07:24 PM
If I were closer to you I would trade. I have about 600 pounds of lead that runs from 14 BHN to 22 BHN. I would rather have the soft stuff. Ron

ShrnShndl
04-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Is there enough antimony in magnum grade shot to help harden boolit alloy? I usually use an alloy of 1 part tin to 20 parts lead. I would like it a little harder and was considering using the shot for the antimony. Does anyone do this and what percentage for 20# of boolit alloy? Thanks for your help.

HeavyMetal
04-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Shot has the abilty to harden lead because of its antimony and arsenic contents.

However some shot has the good stuff and some doesn't. stick with the Magnum or "Hard" shot and you'll be OK. I wouldn't add more than 1 lb shot for 9 lbs pure lead. I might even mix 1/2 lb shot, 1lb 50/50 bar solder and the rest pure lead.

Adjust the mix as needed! If you don't have a hardness tester your working in the dark, but thats what a lot of us did, done, do!

Buckshot
04-02-2008, 10:29 PM
...........Right, magnum or 'Chilled" shot is hardened. Some bags even list the % of antimony. The arsenic is in there to increase surface tension to help form uniform shot pellets.

..............Buckshot

Lloyd Smale
04-03-2008, 07:09 AM
cheapest way would be to mix in about 1/3 wws and then water drop your bullets.

ShrnShndl
04-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the info. Will give the magnum shot a try. Didn't want to try pure antimony, sounds like a pain. I have to keep it simple.

bobthenailer
04-03-2008, 07:27 PM
50% ww mixed with 50% lead will water drop to about 15 bhn, also try mono type or foundry type they are both harder than linotype@ 21 bhn mono & foundry @30 to 35 bhn and cost about the same as linotype , if you are going to pay shipping you might as well get the most for your money, mono and foundry type can be found on ebay.