PDA

View Full Version : Another Very Cool Tool Coming To The War Against Cancer = A Wasp!

DougGuy
09-03-2015, 12:50 AM
Since many of us are of the age that cancer and surviving it is a very real concern that many of us have either had a scare or have gone through treatments, myself included, I always like to check out new technologies and how they work against cancer cells and this is a story worthy of posting here.

Seems that some researchers in Brazil have discovered that the venom of a small wasp found there has an amazing attribute. It contains a toxin that can weaken the cell membranes of cancer cells and cause the cells to die, without doing the same thing to healthy cells. Neat stuff too!

They discovered that healthy cells have types of fats that line the insides of cell membranes, while cancer cells have this fatty lining on the outside of the cell membrane, and the toxin in the wasp venom bonds to the fatty coating and breaks it down, causing holes to open in the membrane and important stuff that the cancer cells need to survive, simply leaks out through the holes and the cell dies.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/brazilian-wasp-venom-kills-cancer-cells-not-healthy-cells

Wasps get their fair share of bad press. They have painful stingers, and they're not as useful (or cute) to us as bees. However, their time to step in the spotlight may be just around the corner: Their venom has been shown to attack cancer cells while leaving healthy cells alone.

The cancer-targeting toxin in the wasp is called MP1 (Polybia-MP1) and until now, how it selectively eliminates cancer cells was unknown. According to new research, it exploits the atypical arrangement of fats, or lipids, in cancer cell membranes. Their abnormal distribution creates weak points where the toxin can interact with the lipids, which ultimately pokes gaping holes in the membrane. These are sufficiently large for essential molecules to start leaking out, like proteins, which the cell cannot function without.

The wasp responsible for producing this toxin is the Polybia paulista. The toxin has so far been tested on model membranes and examined using a broad range of imaging techniques. You can see the team's research results in the Biophysical Journal (http://www.cell.com/biophysj/abstract/S0006-3495%2815%2900768-7).

"Cancer therapies that attack the lipid composition of the cell membrane would be an entirely new class of anticancer drugs," said (http://www.eurekalert.org/emb_releases/2015-09/cp-bwv082515.php) Paul Beales (http://www.chem.leeds.ac.uk/People/Beales.html) from the University of Leeds and co-author of the study. "This could be useful in developing new combination therapies, where multiple drugs are used simultaneously to treat a cancer by attacking different parts of the cancer cells at the same time."

In healthy cell membranes, the inner layer (facing the inside of the cell) is packed with phospholipids, including PS (phosphatidylserine) and PE (phosphatidylethanolamine). However, in cancer cells, PS and PE are located on the outer layer of the cell membrane, facing the opposite way.

To test the different effects of PS and PE's presence on a cell, the scientists examined how the MP1 interacted with model membranes infused with PE and/or PS. The presence of each phospholipid had a destructive effect on the cells. PS increased the chance of MP1 binding to the membrane by a factor of seven to eight (http://www.eurekalert.org/emb_releases/2015-09/cp-bwv082515.php). The presence of PE inflated the size of the holes created by the MP1 by a factor 20 to 30.

"Formed in only seconds, these large pores are big enough to allow critical molecules such as RNA and proteins to easily escape cells," said (http://www.eurekalert.org/emb_releases/2015-09/cp-bwv082515.php) João Ruggiero Neto from São Paulo State University and co-author of the study. "The dramatic enhancement of the permeabilization induced by the peptide in the presence of PE and the dimensions of the pores in these membranes was surprising."

The next stage for this research is to adjust the amino acid sequence of MP1 to see what gives it its selective properties, and to try and refine them. "Understanding the mechanism of action of this peptide will help in translational studies to further assess the potential for this peptide to be used in medicine," Beales says. "As it has been shown to be selective to cancer cells and non-toxic to normal cells in the lab, this peptide has the potential to be safe, but further work would be required to prove that."

starmac
09-03-2015, 06:04 AM
Interesting, wonder how many times someone had to get stung before they started stuudying this.

DCP
09-03-2015, 07:27 AM
The cure is out there. We just have to find it!

Dryball
09-03-2015, 08:25 AM
bee type insects are certainly amazing. I wish I could remember the source...but, there is a similar bee sting therapy that has shown "promise" for treatment of MS.

Ithaca Gunner
09-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Leave it to nature to out-do us again.

jcwit
09-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Reminds me of the movie, "Medicine Man" starring Sean Connery.

nicholst55
09-03-2015, 11:20 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that the American medial 'system' could cure cancer if they wanted to. There is, however, much less financial incentive in curing a disease/illness/condition than there is in continuing to treat the symptoms of it. Think about it; you are diagnosed with cancer. Your Oncologist administers the cure. He never sees you (or your money) again. Compare that to the ongoing treatment of cancer with chemotherapy, radiation therapy, etc., etc. Which way makes the 'system' much, much more money? I am confident that I'm not the only one that sees this.

DougGuy
09-03-2015, 11:46 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that the American medial 'system' could cure cancer if they wanted to. I am confident that I'm not the only one that sees this.

You are correct, as much as I b1tch about our legislators tap dancing to the tune of corporate $$, big pharma wants to do the same thing to keep the cash cow alive. They do NOT want cancer or other diseases cured. They want to keep on making record profits. They rarely care if the medications are even safe or fit for humans. It's not beyond them to pay lobbyists to say that Dr. So-and-so is full of it and his research is incorrect and his results are not consistent with OUR results and therefore his/their findings should not be adopted. They HATE IT when someone pulls the curtain back and reveals what's REALLY behind it...

TheDoctor
09-04-2015, 10:45 AM
Hopefully they can extract the necessary chemical where it will not kill someone who is allergic to wasps and bees.

DougGuy
09-04-2015, 11:03 AM
I would think they would want to clone it so they can make it in large enough amounts to be practical.

LUBEDUDE
09-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Snake venom was used for a new class of anti hypertension agents, ACE inhibitors a few decades ago (?).

MrWolf
09-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Very interesting, thanks. Mother nature creates the virus and helps with the cure if are smart enough to figure it out and not destroy our environment.

outdoorfan
09-04-2015, 12:46 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that the American medial 'system' could cure cancer if they wanted to. There is, however, much less financial incentive in curing a disease/illness/condition than there is in continuing to treat the symptoms of it. Think about it; you are diagnosed with cancer. Your Oncologist administers the cure. He never sees you (or your money) again. Compare that to the ongoing treatment of cancer with chemotherapy, radiation therapy, etc., etc. Which way makes the 'system' much, much more money? I am confident that I'm not the only one that sees this.

Yes, agree 100%!

Elkins45
09-04-2015, 01:21 PM

I think this is overly cynical. This is the same kind of thinking that created that old wives tale about the 300mpg carburetor the oil companies wouldn't let be sold. If they were truly so powerful but so greedy then nobody would ever die from cancer, just drag on forever on "maintainence" therapy. After all, the dead don't keep buying pills.

The kind of people who go into medical research are generally the type who want to cure diseases, not withhold cures.

abunaitoo
09-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Amazing!!!
I wonder how long it will take for this to be used.
Cancer is a big money maker. Something like this may cost doctors big bucks.
Like the "No Pulse" heart, http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-02/no-pulse-how-doctors-reinvented-human-heart?page=all, it may never get to us.

44man
09-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Last word I had is many diseases have a cure. It is a BIG threat to big pharma.
Doctors are no better. Ever have your doctor ask if you have a problem with this or that? He will be quick to hand you free trials to get you hooked, DO NOT TAKE THEM! Pills kill more people then anything.
I got some new insurance a while back and was asked what medications I took. It set the lady back in her seat when I said NONE.

jcwit
09-05-2015, 03:43 PM
Last word I had is many diseases have a cure. It is a BIG threat to big pharma.
Doctors are no better. Ever have your doctor ask if you have a problem with this or that? He will be quick to hand you free trials to get you hooked, DO NOT TAKE THEM! Pills kill more people then anything.
I got some new insurance a while back and was asked what medications I took. It set the lady back in her seat when I said NONE.

Don't try that "No Med" thing if you get really sick.

Believe me, if its meds or death from an illness, I'd lay a bet you'd take the pills.

I.ve been there, done that. I'm alive today because of meds.

Meds? How else do you think we've conquered small pox, polio, and some forms of cancer. Just look at the survival rates & how long folks live today.

smokeywolf
09-05-2015, 04:20 PM
You have to educate yourself with regard to the more typical and widely prescribed meds. All of them are a trade-off. They fix one thing while they weaken or do damage to something else. Look at acetaminophen, it's a pretty good pain killer and a pretty good anti-inflammatory but, it plays hob with your liver. I take aspirin, but never acetaminophen (Tylenol).

Aspirin is also processed by the liver and causes a certain amount of stress to the liver.

I take Ibuprofen; sometimes over-the-counter strength, sometimes prescription. Ibuprofen is a good pain killer and a very good anti-inflammatory. However, it is hard on the stomach lining and is ultimately processed by the kidney. So, Ibuprofen is hard on the stomach and kidneys.

Codeine based narcotics are great for pain, but quite addictive. Also, while they anesthetize you to your pain, they also anesthetize your colon. That's why they cause constipation.

Whenever I'm prescribed a new med, I ask the doctor about the down side and side effects to taking it. I then, also ask the pharmacist, as they often know more of the nasty little details and since they are only filling the prescription and aren't being bribed by the pharmaceutical companies to write it, they are sometimes more forthcoming than the doctor. Then, when I get home I read much, if not most of the fine print in the accompanying insert.

44man
09-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Don't try that "No Med" thing if you get really sick.

Believe me, if its meds or death from an illness, I'd lay a bet you'd take the pills.

I.ve been there, done that. I'm alive today because of meds.

Meds? How else do you think we've conquered small pox, polio, and some forms of cancer. Just look at the survival rates & how long folks live today.
That is different, vaccines or antibiotics. Ever read side affects on some pills that include DEATH?
Tell your doctor if your throat swells or you get leg pain. This pill has caused cancer in a few!
No thanks.
My brother in law had to take 30 pills a day on a schedule and he died young.

NavyVet1959
09-05-2015, 04:35 PM
You have to educate yourself with regard to the more typical and widely prescribed meds. All of them are a trade-off. They fix one thing while they weaken or do damage to something else. Look at acetaminophen, it's a pretty good pain killer and a pretty good anti-inflammatory but, it plays hob with your liver. I take aspirin, but never acetaminophen (Tylenol).

Aspirin is also processed by the liver and causes a certain amount of stress to the liver.

I take Ibuprofen; sometimes over-the-counter strength, sometimes prescription. Ibuprofen is a good pain killer and a very good anti-inflammatory. However, it is hard on the stomach lining and is ultimately processed by the kidney. So, Ibuprofen is hard on the stomach and kidneys.

I seem to remember that aspirin was one of the safer things to take.

It seems that aspirin might in fact help with liver fibrosis.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/834662

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) damages the liver.
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/features/acetaminophen-safety-faq

Ibuprofen doesn't seem to cause liver damage that much.
http://livertox.nih.gov/Ibuprofen.htm

I tend to pay attention when one of the listed side effects on a drug is DEATH.

jcwit
09-05-2015, 04:47 PM
That is different, vaccines or antibiotics. Ever read side affects on some pills that include DEATH?
Tell your doctor if your throat swells or you get leg pain. This pill has caused cancer in a few!
No thanks.

Just wait till you get older or you really get sick. You have no idea what you will do when the Dr. comes into your room an tells you that you have cancer and a month at the most to live without treatment.

Like I said, been there, done that. Over 15 years ago. And I've watched 2 brothers die also.

BTW, I research all meds prior to taking them.

smokeywolf
09-05-2015, 05:10 PM
I seem to remember that aspirin was one of the safer things to take.

It seems that aspirin might in fact help with liver fibrosis.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/834662

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) damages the liver.
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/features/acetaminophen-safety-faq

Ibuprofen doesn't seem to cause liver damage that much.
http://livertox.nih.gov/Ibuprofen.htm

I tend to pay attention when one of the listed side effects on a drug is DEATH.

NavyVet1959, Ibuprofen doesn't do much of anything to the liver because it's processed in the kidneys.

Read earlier this week a report that suggests that regular low doses of aspirin, Ibuprofen and a couple of other NSAIDs may also discourage colon cancer.

Don't forget that anything you read on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt and researched. That includes the stuff I write.

NavyVet1959
09-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Don't forget that anything you read on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt and researched. That includes the stuff I write.

I'm pretty sure that most of the people who were diagnosed with cancer and subsequently died did so after seeing a doctor. Obviously, the solution is to not go see a doctor. :)

shooter93
09-05-2015, 06:07 PM
The one problem with the side effects listed for drugs....and I extensively research any drug I'm prescribed....is if only one person reports a side effect they think was caused by taking the med it goes on the list. I have yet to see and med that didn't have a very long list of "possible" side effects. And the truth is as jcwit said....if you get sick enough and death is a very real possibility from the disease you'll try most anything they suggest. Survival is a pretty strong instinct and if pain gets bad enough....you'll ask for a pain med.

Plate plinker
09-05-2015, 06:14 PM
bee type insects are certainly amazing. I wish I could remember the source...but, there is a similar bee sting therapy that has shown "promise" for treatment of MS.
Yep the use of honey bees. Of course the FDA does not like the therapy.

smokeywolf
09-05-2015, 06:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that most of the people who were diagnosed with cancer and subsequently died did so after seeing a doctor. Obviously, the solution is to not go see a doctor. :)

Yeah and shooting lead boolits will ruin your barrel.:kidding:

DougGuy
09-06-2015, 09:15 AM
These days you should go see a doctor if you have any abnormal swelling. ESPECIALLY in the head/neck/throat area. Tonsil cancer is a relatively new epidemic. Primarily caused by the HPV virus, which 80%+ of the population has, but only 2% know they have it. You don't even have to kiss someone to catch it. It causes tonsil cancer in both male and female, and cervical cancer in females. Usually attacks ages 45-60, pretty much has no pain or visible symptoms associated with it. You get a tumor in your throat and never even know it. Eventually you notice you have a swollen lymph node. DO NOT brush this aside thinking it's nothing and it will go away. Those who do, and have squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsilar region fall victim to this aggressive disease and allow it to double/triple in size until it is very very obvious there is something going on there that needs attention. By this time, they are stage 4, with metastisis to the larynx, back of tongue, pharnyx, esophagus, and the prognosis is quite grim. This from a cancer that is very treatable, responds very well to radiation and chemo, and has a 65%+ survival rate as compared to other types of head/neck cancer caused by smoking or alcohol, which only has a 32% survival rate. The difference in going to the doctor early and catching this early is dramatic. Even a month can make a big difference.

Elkins45
09-06-2015, 03:00 PM
No thanks.

No disrespect intended, but if your brother had to take 30 pills a day then he must have been pretty sick already.

Steve Jobs thought he would treat his pancreatic cancer with fruit juices. Not surprisingly, Steve isn't with us anymore.

44man
09-07-2015, 02:22 PM
No disrespect intended, but if your brother had to take 30 pills a day then he must have been pretty sick already.

Steve Jobs thought he would treat his pancreatic cancer with fruit juices. Not surprisingly, Steve isn't with us anymore.
Yes he was and I think it was where he lived. Many of the people on his street also were very sick over the years.
But many of his pills were to counter act results of other pills.
I had allergies until I got the shots to build immunity. Could hardly breath at work one day and a friend gave me an Allegra D pill. Started in my stomach and progressed until I thought I was Hooked to high tension lines. Thought I would pass out. It was like eating a full can of Copenhagen! It did nothing to help my breathing, had to go home sick.
My father gave me a zinc pill once and it was the same. Put me on the floor right quick. In a short time I just made it to the toilet. WOW, never again.
They tried to give me blood pressure pills and cholesterol pills, same thing, leg pains, etc. Unless I have an infection or something serious I never go to a doctor.
Cancer is serious of course.

buckwheatpaul
09-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the post....had carcenomas, squamacell and a melanoma....will get with my dermatologist and check it out.....Paul

woodbutcher
09-07-2015, 03:39 PM
:coffee: Just remember.We all have a terminal disease.It`s called CONCEPTION.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

NavyVet1959
09-07-2015, 04:47 PM
:coffee: Just remember.We all have a terminal disease.It`s called CONCEPTION.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

"We come into the world, bald, drooling, and incontinent -- and we'll probably leave the same way."

snowwolfe
09-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Interesting article about the wasp. IMO the cure for most diseases lays with either animals or plants.