PDA

View Full Version : New to casting and new here

Djei5
09-02-2015, 11:07 PM
Howdy all!
New member here and new to casting.
I've been reloading for about 10 years now and decided to start casting my own too.
Started buying some casting equipment about 9 years ago and some crack head stole it...(same guy stole a Schwanns truck when he wrecked his car, and drove it home...), but I digress.
In the last few months I've purchased a Lyman 4500 Lubrasizer with heater, NOE 5 cavity Ranch Dog 432265 mold, and today my Lyman MAG 25 casting furnace came in.
Looking forward to learning to cast, and shooting my own projectiles.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-02-2015, 11:17 PM
WELCOME,
you are well on your way.
the Ranch Dog 432 265 is a excellent one for sure.

swamp
09-02-2015, 11:28 PM
I am sure there are some members in your area. Should be able to get some hands on advice from one of them. A lot of good people on this site.
swamp

fast ronnie
09-02-2015, 11:45 PM
Howdy all!
New member here and new to casting.
I've been reloading for about 10 years now and decided to start casting my own too.
Started buying some casting equipment about 9 years ago and some crack head stole it...(same guy stole a Schwanns truck when he wrecked his car, and drove it home...), but I digress.
In the last few months I've purchased a Lyman 4500 Lubrasizer with heater, NOE 5 cavity Ranch Dog 432265 mold, and today my Lyman MAG 25 casting furnace came in.
Looking forward to learning to cast, and shooting my own projectiles.

There is a pretty good book that is free for download on this sight. I don't remember the name of it, however. Maybe someone on the forum has a better memory than mine. In the meantime, I'll try to find it. I downloaded it but don't remember where I put it.
Welcome aboard!!!!

swamp
09-02-2015, 11:58 PM
If you get out my way, you more than welcome to coffee and some casting lessons. Bring you Lyman. I would like to see how the 25 works. I have the RCBS Pro Melt. Been looking at the 25.
swamp

BrassMagnet
09-03-2015, 07:16 AM
This link points you toward DVD casting videos which can be borrowed for the cost of the postage to forward them to the next viewer:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?270987-New-Casting-DVD-set-Rules

Here is some more info on the DVD videos:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?272310-If-you-want-to-view-these-DVD-videos-but-money-is-too-tight-help-is-available!

Here is a link to the DVD video section:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?216-Boolit-Casting-DVD-Set-Lending-Library

Petrol & Powder
09-03-2015, 08:26 AM
Welcome !
I see you live in Northeast TN, are you sure it was a crack head that stole your stuff? Could have been a meth head or a pill head
:shock:
Sometimes you need a field guide to properly identify your indigenous degenerates.:bigsmyl2:

Djei5
09-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Welcome !
I see you live in Northeast TN, are you sure it was a crack head that stole your stuff? Could have been a meth head or a pill head
:shock:
Sometimes you need a field guide to properly identify your indigenous degenerates.:bigsmyl2:

This is true, I used the term loosely.
I find them all equally untrustworthy.

Walter Laich
09-03-2015, 12:59 PM
welcome.
Read the posts and start casting. when something comes up ask questions here.
I've always liked the fact that if I screw up the mistakes go back in the pot and no one is the wiser.
Do you casting out doors or with adequate ventilation + melted lead is hot, ask me how I know

Djei5
09-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Thanks Walter, safety second, right? Just kidding, I do read a lot here and have watched all of Fortunecookie45LC's videos (very informative) and others who quite frankly have made me wonder if they are still with us.

pjames32
09-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Search this site for the book "Ingot to bullet". It is free and is a pdf you can download and save. Great reading and a lot of great info.
Welcome to the forum.
PJ

pworley1
09-05-2015, 01:35 PM
Welcome. You have started with some great equipment.

Petrol & Powder
09-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Search this site for the book "Ingot to bullet". It is free and is a pdf you can download and save. Great reading and a lot of great info.
Welcome to the forum.
PJ
Here you go:
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

runfiverun
09-05-2015, 04:28 PM
knowing what your doing is handy.
just doing it will make you a better caster.
figuring out what your doing wrong or what to change to make them shoot better is priceless.