PDA

View Full Version : Trick Shooting with the 1936 LA Sheriff’s Department (casting&reloading towards end)

Grantb
09-02-2015, 10:01 PM
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/09/02/video-dangerous-trick-shooting-with-the-1936-la-sheriffs-department/

mjwcaster
09-05-2015, 03:14 PM
What did they check at ~5:30?

Something to do with the sights, looks like an example of a good sight picture, was the instructor just points to the rear and front sight to show what it should look like?

And you could never get me to let someone shoot at me like the exhibition shooting, some of those shots looked 'danger close', but cool to watch.

And did that register really show $5.50?
I hope it was for more than one box of ammo, or really just $0.50 looked like the deputy handed over just some change.

M-Tecs
09-05-2015, 03:22 PM
Seen it in black and white. The color enhanced version is cool.

mjwcaster
09-05-2015, 03:57 PM
Just finished the video.

I loved the gathering lead and reloading.

Any idea what kind of press that was?
I would have loved to see more shots of the press, guess I suffer from the 'disease' also.

Great setup they had, and impressive if they really shot the qualification every month.

mjwcaster
09-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Also I found it interesting that they set the mould down and poured into it.
I have always held the mould, at least for the short time I have attempted casting.

I would have to get a larger work surface, but I may try that out.
I have been trying to close my mould while sitting a on a flat surface.

I plan on setting up a dedicated casting bench and am looking for ideas to make casting easier, seems like an hour or so is all I can pull right now.
And now that I just got my first 6 cavity, it may be more important.
Just scored a couple of bar stools, so my reloading bench height will be reset soon, as I made it too tall originally with the idea of cutting it down to size after trying it out. And the other one will be for casting.

But then again my casting area is whatever I had sitting out back I could set a stove on and get started, I have a long way to go.

Char-Gar
09-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Just finished the video.

I loved the gathering lead and reloading.

Any idea what kind of press that was?
I would have loved to see more shots of the press, guess I suffer from the 'disease' also.

Great setup they had, and impressive if they really shot the qualification every month.

The brass was sized in a hand die using an arbor press and loading was done on a Star or Phelps. The two are very much alike and I couldn't tell which it was.

The bullet sizing and lubrication was done in a Star, not much different from the ones sold today.

Char-Gar
09-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Also I found it interesting that they set the mould down and poured into it.
I have always held the mould, at least for the short time I have attempted casting.

I would have to get a larger work surface, but I may try that out.
I have been trying to close my mould while sitting a on a flat surface.

I plan on setting up a dedicated casting bench and am looking for ideas to make casting easier, seems like an hour or so is all I can pull right now.
And now that I just got my first 6 cavity, it may be more important.
Just scored a couple of bar stools, so my reloading bench height will be reset soon, as I made it too tall originally with the idea of cutting it down to size after trying it out. And the other one will be for casting.

But then again my casting area is whatever I had sitting out back I could set a stove on and get started, I have a long way to go.

They were using an old double sided armory mold and they are to heavy to hold for any length of time.

Char-Gar
09-05-2015, 05:14 PM
BTW...I was impressed with the Detective on the Combat Range, who drew from under his coat, turned and fired. He was darn good by any standards, yesteryear or today.

whisler
09-05-2015, 09:12 PM
I believe the cash register rang up 55 cents. Also anyone shooting a cigar out of my mouth had better expect return fire. :)

mjwcaster
09-06-2015, 01:54 PM
I just tried out my first 6 cavity lee mould today and tried sitting on a board while pouring.
I have tried using the board (2x4 sitting on my bullet catch pan, metal cake type pan) before for just closing the mould.
Keeping the mould sitting on it for pouring helped me remember to use it for closing (helping alignment), made my pouring more consistent and was less fatiguing.

Simple idea, but for some reason I had always just held the mould over the pot to pour.
I really like having it sitting flat and just pouring into it.

Leadmelter
09-06-2015, 02:25 PM
OHSA would have a fit if you tried that but they let guys hang off of garbage trucks? Our crazy world.
Leadmelter
MI