PDA

View Full Version : Help with oxidation

mallen
09-01-2015, 08:24 PM
I had to grind down my spout because i just could not get it clear. now it pours way too fast and I need to get a new one. I think i can get just the pot and replace it. But, What can I do about oxidation. As it stands right now there is a bunch of crust of oxidation on it.
How can I prevent this oxidation, or minimize it?
also, is this the right part? i have a 110v 10lb i bought a year and a half or so ago. http://leeprecision.com/pot-pro-assembly.html

Shuz
09-01-2015, 08:43 PM
To prevent oxidation of a lead alloy, simply float new kitty litter (diatomaceous earth) on the top of the melt. This prevents the air from reaching your alloy and has the side benefit of helping retain the heat.

runfiverun
09-01-2015, 08:43 PM
mold release spray stuff has it's uses.
keeping lead alloy from sticking to stuff is one of them.

mallen
09-01-2015, 08:47 PM
thanks

44man
09-02-2015, 08:44 AM
No matter what you do, there is stuff in the bottom of the pot that will not float. It finds it's way to the spout.
I pour my pot out quite a bit to test alloys and it is always down there, must be uranium or unobtainium! I scrape with a stick and pour it into my dross can. Not a whole lot you can do with the junk.
I do not bottom pour so I don't notice it. I plugged the bottom spout. Life is too easy with a ladle.

Cowboy_Dan
09-03-2015, 12:42 PM
I think the part in your link is for the 20# pot based on the pro reference, i.e. Pro IV-20.

Bad Water Bill
09-05-2015, 10:03 AM
One way of removing your ???? that I have read about BUT NEVER TRIED is to drain the pot and let it cool back to room temp.

Next fill the pot with water and bring to a low boil while scraping the sides and bottom with a wooden scraper.

Scrape till nothing more floats to the surface as you carefully remove the junk with a large spoon or ladle.

Again let it cool down and pour the dirty water out.

Next place an ingot on the bottom and turn the heat back on.

The heat is supposed to completely dry out all of the water long before the ingot begins to melt.

WARNING I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS SO YOUR DRISCRETION IS ADVISED.

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK NOT MINE.

dubber123
09-05-2015, 11:37 AM
You didn't use Marvellux casting flux did you? That stuff was invented by the devil..

mallen
09-05-2015, 01:11 PM
One way of removing your ???? that I have read about BUT NEVER TRIED is to drain the pot and let it cool back to room temp.

Next fill the pot with water and bring to a low boil while scraping the sides and bottom with a wooden scraper.

Scrape till nothing more floats to the surface as you carefully remove the junk with a large spoon or ladle.

Again let it cool down and pour the dirty water out.

Next place an ingot on the bottom and turn the heat back on.

The heat is supposed to completely dry out all of the water long before the ingot begins to melt.

WARNING I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS SO YOUR DRISCRETION IS ADVISED.

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK NOT MINE.

Done that with vinegar. don't know if it really helped. best thing was just a hammer and small flat head.

mallen
09-05-2015, 01:13 PM
To prevent oxidation of a lead alloy, simply float new kitty litter (diatomaceous earth) on the top of the melt. This prevents the air from reaching your alloy and has the side benefit of helping retain the heat.

f'ing awesome idea!. worked wonders. did 2k rounds and my pot is spotless. Although, i used diatomaceous earth earth, not kitty litter.

worked great, even seemed to absorb the slag.

mallen
09-05-2015, 01:16 PM
You didn't use Marvellux casting flux did you? That stuff was invented by the devil..

I had some wax i had shredded up. but dogs dumped it out. Last night I used a stick. not sure how well it did.