PDA

View Full Version : Ruger gunsite scout 308 plainbase load.

HARRYMPOPE
08-30-2015, 04:00 PM
I recently got a scout carbine in a trade. I do not have a scout scope so my optics are a simple 4 minute of angle red dot. Since I've been using Titegroup I settled on a little dandy rotor number that throws roughly seven grains of it. Groups ranged from three quarters of and an inch and a half at 50 ysrds.in a firing 50 shots no leading and the point of impact stayed very consistent. I did not have my chronograph out but by the sound of that it is not subsonic. The bullet used as an oddball 190g pointed modern bond cast of 16 bhn range lead.
I was surprised this gun shot that well.
Best and worst group shown at 50 yards.

W.R.Buchanan
09-04-2015, 04:28 PM
All of the Scouts I have heard of on the Scout Rifle thread have shot well. They have excellent Hammer forged barrels.

I like that you are using a Red Dot on the gun as I have mine set up to interchange a Red Dot if I want. The addition of one of these sights greatly enhances target acquisition as well as not changing the way the gun handles.

One thing you might try as far as indexing the sight on the target is using the bottom edge of the dot on the top edge of your target dot. It will shrink your groups.

Your groups look pretty good as they are so you must be doing something right.

Good shooting!

Randy

HARRYMPOPE
09-05-2015, 11:37 AM
I cheated today and put on my old 2 power Norinco scope I took off an SKS 25 years ago.
I just shot these three groups to get a zero. I used an NEI gas check 7.62 X 39 Harris design size 309 with a little over seven grains of tightgroup.