PDA

View Full Version : Powder Info request

TNsailorman
04-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I have started down the road of the silver stream bullets and sent an information request to IMR for information about loads using IMR powder in lead 30/06, 8x57, & 6.5x55 swede mauser bullets at reduced velocities. What I received was a reply from Hodgdon with a long list of loads all using jacketed bullets--none for cast bullets. I know that Hodgdon has taken over the marketing job of IMR and Winchester powders. I sent them a reply stating my diappointment and informing them that their information was not helpful. I don't know whether they did not read my question, didn't want anything to do with lead or just didn't care for my business. I started buying Hodgden powder back in the 50's when Bruce was packaging and selling military surplus powder left over from WW II. If I remember right, I was paying $ 0.75 a lb. back then, a lot of money in the day when few people were making .75 and hour. Maybe I am expecting too much but the least the company could have done was read the question and if they had no load recommendations, just say so. Right now I am in the mood to just "split the blanket" with Hodgdon, IMR and go with someone like Accurate or Alliant. Anyone else in the same boat as far as getting information from IMR or Hodgdon?

StrawHat
04-01-2008, 04:33 PM
The recipes they supplied are for reduced loads with jacketed bullets. Depending on how fast they have reduced the loads they might still be usable with cast.

Lead has less friction than copper so the cast bullet will just be faster. May or may not solve your issues but at least the info is still pertinent.

Just a thought.

wiljen
04-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I think you're gonna find that all the powder manufacturers do lip service at best to developing cast bullet loads. Most only use a sampling of commercially available cast bullets and then only in a few of the most common pistol cartridges.

I'd say if you want the most cast data in one place get the lyman cast handbook.
I've tryed collecting cast data in RR but even then, it has less than the lyman book.

jackley
04-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Just ask on this board. I'm sure you will get more info then you can sort out.

Jerry

Newtire
04-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Like jackley said, probably just ask on the board here.

I found the 2nd edition of the Lee book to be somewhat helpful also.

As far as Hodgdon's goes, they have some great powder but not the only game in town.

Alliant makes some real fine cast boolit powders--->2400, Unique, all the "Dot" powders, RX-7. Then there's the Accurate Powder Company numbers.

I would imagine that it's law suits that prevent the manufacturers from posting info about cast loads.

Three44s
04-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Lyman Cast Book, Lyman Handgun book, Lee 2nd edition, Accurate Arms book .......

..... and right here in good 'ole Boolits!

Enjoy

Three 44s