PDA

View Full Version : Lead refining

Steelshooter
04-01-2008, 11:15 AM
http://www.ldaint.org/technotes2.htm#Pyrometallurgical%20processes
I found this on another site and thought some of you would find it interesting.
Chuck
By the way they mention coming to our site twice for the answers.

TexasJeff
04-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Is the link right? I keep getting a "page cannot be found" message.

Jeff

Steelshooter
04-01-2008, 11:42 AM
TexasJeff
Try the link now, it should be working.
Chuck

TexasJeff
04-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Got it.

Thanks.

Jeff

kawalekm
04-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi Chuck
That looks like valuable information. I was very interested in the antimony/zinc/tin removal section for making pure lead for cast cores and other soft lead applications.

"This employs a molten flux of sodium hydroxide and sodium nitrate or some other suitable oxidising agent. Using a rotary stirrer the molten bullion and the flux are churned into a whirlpool which thoroughly mixes them at the vortex. Sometimes, instead of the stirring method, lead is pumped out from the bottom of the pot and sprayed on to the top of the flux cover through which it passes owing to its greater density. After some hours the impurities have left the lead and are suspended in the alkali flux in the form of sodium antimonate, arsenate and stannate and any zinc has been removed in the form of zinc oxide. This flux is then separated from the softened lead and the impurities are extracted in a separate process."

Lye and saltpeter are relatively easy to get. I did notice though that it states "after some hours". Do you have any idea how much contaminant are removed in the course of regular fluxing operations. That is to say, if I flux with lye and saltpeter over a 5 minute period, will that remove a significant amount of zinc or antimony?
Michael

Steelshooter
04-01-2008, 01:49 PM
kawalekm
I don't know, I just found the article and have not tried it yet. I can't see it taking hours for the amount that we would be doing.
Chuck