PDA

View Full Version : OK, how do you post a picture?

Oldfeller
10-09-2005, 09:10 PM
I know how to post pics on the old lists and I have a freebee picture account or two to do it with, but I seem to remember we can post pics off internal storeage here on this list and the process to post a pic is different too.

I have been given a "sticky" for a gun project over on Projects, but I have to ask how many pics it is good for? I post a lot of pics during a gun build project and the bane of any "sticky" is losing its pics when Hunt101 or other pic site goes down or cleans you out because the pics all got old (or got too many hits to suit them).

Help me out before I constipate up this new list with too many pictures ......

Oldfeller

Scrounger
10-09-2005, 09:49 PM
I know how to post pics on the old lists and I have a freebee picture account or two to do it with, but I seem to remember we can post pics off internal storeage here on this list and the process to post a pic is different too.

I have been given a "sticky" for a gun project over on Projects, but I have to ask how many pics it is good for? I post a lot of pics during a gun build project and the bane of any "sticky" is losing its pics when Hunt101 or other pic site goes down or cleans you out because the pics all got old (or got too many hits to suit them).

Help me out before I constipate up this new list with too many pictures ......

Oldfeller

That's what I heard and I even did it once or twice, but the last time I tried it didn't work. The software at this site seems to do different things on different days... :???: In theory, you need only type in your reply message, scroll down that page to "Attach Files". Click on that, click "Browse", select your photo, click "Upload" or whatever, and it's done. Now the old way: Go to your hosted photo and "Copy" the BB code. Back to this site, enter your message, click on the "Picture Postcard Icon" above the message form. A box will drop down. "Paste" your BB Code in the open line and click "OK". Done.

Oldfeller
10-09-2005, 10:54 PM
here goes ...... hey, that was easy !!!!

Buckshot
10-10-2005, 04:10 AM
.........To answer the question as to the number of photo's you can post, it is 10 per post. Not per thread, but per post. BTW, any little smiley faces or other icons added will count as photos in the post.

Anyone who is interested in a place on the internet to host photo's, I'd like to suggest Fototime. Yes it costs you something. It's $29 a year. For that you get some unbelieveable amount of storage space, and other features. I cannot compare it to any other place as I've never explored any other.

Unlike some free hositng sites, in the 3 years I've used Fototime, it has never been down, doesn't EVER forget a photo link, or time them out or any other crap. I have no connection with them other then being a satisfied user, and derive no benefit if someone joins, as they don't ask, "Who sent you".

..............Buckshot

Oldfeller
10-10-2005, 04:16 PM
10 per post is a gracious plenty. Thanks, Buckshot.

PS, how short can a 7mm loverin be and still be useful to you for your crew of virginal Mauser small rings ???

Oldfeller

Buckshot
10-10-2005, 07:40 PM
"...........PS, how short can a 7mm loverin be and still be useful to you for your crew of virginal Mauser small rings ???"

Viginal small rings, the man says. Heh, heh! I have 2 M95 Chilean's whose leades end somewhere up under the rear sight and a M1897 Rem RB whose throat is almost large enough to swallow a 30 caliber slug.

...........Buckshot

StarMetal
10-10-2005, 07:44 PM
I'll have to agree with the ole Buckeroo, a short loverin is still going have to cross the pond to get to the rifling.....too too far. It would only be good for 7mm-08's and in that case I'd take one.

Joe

45 2.1
10-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Whether the bullet is an inch long or 1.3 inches long ISN'T going to make much difference in a military mauser throat, you fit the body to the leade thats there. And thats about the only thing you can do with it.

Oldfeller
10-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Now now, crossing the pond to get to the rifling isn't a crime. We did the 6.5mm Kurtz and it crossed the pond pretty successfully to get to Karlina's rifling.

Thing is to figure out is that a 7mm Kurtz is a short six banger mold that makes a plinker Kurtz style slug for a Paul Mauser throat and a full size slug for a 7mm-08. Both are sized .288 or there abouts depending on your gun.

Sad thing is I bet there are more 7 Mags out there than both the 7x57 Paul Mausers and the 7mm-08's added together. Now, for my 7 Mag I would have sized it to .285" diameter and it would have just barely filled the throat 100% when seated with the gas check and the first band in the case neck. I guess you'd put some small amount of fast powder in the huge case to get 1,650 fps on a 7mm Kurtz sitting on top of the 7 Mag case.

Now if you had some 7 Mag folks ordering the mold for a light cast varmint plinker then you would have a population of folks who where saving their throats from over-rapid erosion. That would be smart plinking .....

Now you got two uses that could use a slightly longer slug so maybe we compromise a bit and have the 7mm-08 boys seat the gas check down into the boiler room a tiny bit. This too isn't a complete crime.

What is the shortest .288" as cast diameter you guys feel you can use? How about replying in decimal inches, just to keep it properly technical sounding ????

Oldfeller

PS here is a trigger group -- see the un-drawn straight rod spring 0.055" diameter steel wire that is straw-colored tempered at about six pounds of pull force? See the electric eye of the stove? See the light purple colored straight rod spring with a single mild heat-treat draw at about 3 pounds of pull force? See the crisp clean ground sear surfaces with engagement height reduced by about 50%?

charlie / sw mo
10-10-2005, 09:43 PM
thought id try this to see if i understand it

JohnH
10-10-2005, 10:04 PM
charlie, you must have a sick mind..... that bench is simply too clean to do anything off of. Or are you just trying to psyche us out????

Scrounger
10-10-2005, 10:36 PM
thought id try this to see if i understand it

Well done, Charlie. CarpetMan will be visiting you soon to award you your merit badge and a free cat. :)

45 2.1
10-11-2005, 06:50 PM
What is the shortest .288" as cast diameter you guys feel you can use? How about replying in decimal inches, just to keep it properly technical sounding ????
Oldfeller

This what your looking for?

Oldfeller
10-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Well, it looks familar anyway ..... is this the deja vu special of the week or what?

Chop one driver band and matching lube groove and it would be about what the doctor ordered for the short slug guys.

What do you say guys? "As is" or chop off one driver band & groove?

Joe? Buckshot?

Oldfeller

StarMetal
10-11-2005, 07:36 PM
I say as is. The 7x57 has a long neck to start with and if you make that bullet shorter it's going to be a long ways from any 7x57 rifling and if you seat the bullet out far I don't think they get good support and alignment. Shorter would certainly be the cat's meow for the short throated 7mm-08s. My two cents.

Don't forget the 6.5 Kurtz is shooting nice in my 260 because it has a short throat that I did throat out some.

Joe

Oldfeller
10-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Well, if you like it long -- who am I to disagree?

Buckshot played Honcho last time and you ain't had yourself a turn in the barrel yet, have you Joe? Drawing is all done & ready too.

You gonna play Honcho for this one?

Oldfeller

StarMetal
10-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Oldfeller,

As John Wayne said in alot of his movies "Not Hardly".

Joe

Oldfeller
10-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Joe, are you saying I've got to do it?

Moi?

Again?

Heck, if I've got to do it, it will go into a LEE 2 cavity pistol block for $30 bucks or thereabouts and it will look a lot like a 7mm oil can bullet.

Call it the 7mm Kurtz ..... accurate ..... fast ..... same as the 30 soup can bullet.

What do you say to this idea?

Oldfeller