PDA

View Full Version : pinto beans

rancher1913
08-28-2015, 08:52 PM
odd question for you guys and mods feel free to move if its out of line.

I have a bunch of pinto beans straight from the combine (means there is some debris in it still) and was wondering if anybody wanted to buy some, figure a medium flat rate box for shipping and 50cent a pound for beans. will need to see what a box will weigh which should be next week when we harvest. just thought I'd see if there was any interest. if you want a lot and want to drive to my neck of the woods we can talk. also have a line on onions from a neighbor but they would have to be face to face. could possibly haul to Denver.

pintos are in the truck, is there anybody I can text photos to for posting? a large flat rate box shipped will be 30 bucks, I can get about 24 pounds in it so price works out comparable to store bought.
pretty clean, few dirt clods and grasshoppers but we will try to remove those before packing. will pm everybody on my list in the next few nights.
if anybody wants a medium or small flat rate I'll be happy to ship it but the shipping is double the cost of the beans.
a member from grand junction is planning a drive by so if your up that way you might score some with cheaper shipping.
just maybe if you ask georgeonedollar real nice he might have some, noticed a few pounds were missing when I got home.

edler7
08-28-2015, 08:55 PM
I love new crop dryland pintos ! Put me down for a box if this plan takes off.

swamp
08-28-2015, 09:07 PM
I would be interested in both beans and onions. How far East of Denver are you.
swamp

dolang1
08-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Yep, I want to try a box. Keep me informed please.

GhostHawk
08-28-2015, 09:48 PM
I love my Pinto's but that also means I have a pretty good stash on hand at this time.

Great idea!

Beagle333
08-28-2015, 09:57 PM
I'd like a box too! [smilie=s:

I love Pintos.

starmac
08-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Depending on how many pounds will fit in a fr box, I could be very interested.

tdoor4570
08-28-2015, 11:11 PM
I am interested to so send me the info when you get it figured out

ol skool
08-29-2015, 12:07 AM
Hi rancher1913:

I'm interested in beans. Pintos are my favorite. Interested in 200lbs or so of BEANS not DEBRIS. But...

Spent the last 45 minutes trying to negotiate a bureaucrats wet dream of a web site trying to figure out what the h e double hockey sticks a "medium flat rate box for shipping" would cost. Had zero success finding an answer to that when it occurred to me I got no idea how many lbs. of beans would fit in said "medium flat rate box for shipping" for which I currently have no idea what it could weigh or how much it would cost. So I decided since I ain't selling I don't need to spend a few hours figuring it out. That's your job.

I'll buy beans. But, I need to know how much delivered to my door per pound please.

And another question needing answered is what does "(means there is some debris in it still)" actually mean. Is that +/- 10% or 25% or 50% by weight? Sorry I'm an old timber cruiser, SWMBO has a yuge garden, we put up about 1,000lbs of veggies a year, but I've never been a real farmer.

Thanks!

MaryB
08-29-2015, 01:00 AM
~48 pounds per cubic foot for dried beans.

Hi rancher1913:

I'm interested in beans. Pintos are my favorite. Interested in 200lbs or so of BEANS not DEBRIS. But...

Spent the last 45 minutes trying to negotiate a bureaucrats wet dream of a web site trying to figure out what the h e double hockey sticks a "medium flat rate box for shipping" would cost. Had zero success finding an answer to that when it occurred to me I got no idea how many lbs. of beans would fit in said "medium flat rate box for shipping" for which I currently have no idea what it could weigh or how much it would cost. So I decided since I ain't selling I don't need to spend a few hours figuring it out. That's your job.

I'll buy beans. But, I need to know how much delivered to my door per pound please.

And another question needing answered is what does "(means there is some debris in it still)" actually mean. Is that +/- 10% or 25% or 50% by weight? Sorry I'm an old timber cruiser, SWMBO has a yuge garden, we put up about 1,000lbs of veggies a year, but I've never been a real farmer.

Thanks!

MaryB
08-29-2015, 01:01 AM
Put me down for a medium flat rate box full! Should be about 20 pounds....

rancher1913
08-29-2015, 09:38 AM
some debris means it could have grasshopper parts, stems, leaves, rocks, dirt clods, and just about anything that could be in a field. the amount depends on how well the combine operator sets up the machine, this will be a local "for hire" combine so I won't know percent of debris until the beans are in the truck. I figured once the beans were harvested I would weigh a box and figure costs, if mary's calculations are right(I have no reason to doubt her) .341 cubic feet of beans should be about 16 pounds, shipping is I think 12 bucks or so on a medium flat rate and beans would be about 8 bucks. approximately 20 bucks for 16 pounds would be 1.25 per pound--that would make it cheaper to buy in the store. all this is estimates right now based on current market price and shipping, will know a firm price hopefully next week when they are in the truck. I can do any size package but I thought the medium flat rate would work the best. shipping kind of kills this but if you still want some beans pm me so I can keep track of things. I plan on keeping about a ton or so around here for family and animal feed so I should have plenty for anyone who wants some.

OnHoPr
08-29-2015, 06:43 PM
If you had a USPS account you could ship about 24 lbs of beans from Denver to Kansas City, (so, basically the neighboring states) with 1 lb of paper to fill the box for 10.74 (maybe cheaper if closer) in a Regional bocks C Priority. If you did check out a few more scenarios similar to this you could with shipping included be able to offer them for about .95 cents a lb to the neighboring states. Darn that would sound like a good deal if you did canning or a couple of years of beans.

starmac
08-29-2015, 08:31 PM
Canning dry beans, how does that work??

swamp
08-29-2015, 08:40 PM
It is called oven canning.

Thumbcocker
08-29-2015, 08:51 PM
You can can beans dry so they stay dry or you can can dry beans with water and they will be cooked when open. Apologies to Monseour LeTrec.

OnHoPr
08-29-2015, 10:50 PM
Cook them just like you would any dry bean from the store. Short boil, let soak overnight, put pepper, garlic, cayenne or red pepper flakes, brown sugar, and the left over ham bone with plenty of pickins on it, maybe salt depending on the ham, cook slow till meat falls off bone and the beans are still firm but soft in a 2 gal or so pot. Then put them in pint jars and process about 14 pints. They're good with supper or put a little water with them and by the time you make a cast iron skillet of johnny cake you have a full bean soup and corn bread supper out of a pint.

starmac
08-29-2015, 10:57 PM
I know how to can beans, but not dry. I have never heard of canned dry beans, and since they store for basically forever, what would be the purpose? Do dry beans go bad in humid climates?

swamp
08-29-2015, 11:09 PM
Oven canning make it so no weevils or such gets into it. You can do it with any dry goods. Put filled jars into a 200 degree oven for 1 hour. Then put on lids. Return to oven for 30 minutes. Remove and cool.

I got this from Grit magazine. They had quite an article on it.
swamp

OnHoPr
08-30-2015, 12:48 AM
I know how to can beans, but not dry. I have never heard of canned dry beans, and since they store for basically forever, what would be the purpose? Do dry beans go bad in humid climates?

I think maybe I or we got off on the wrong page. I would keep quite a few pounds dry, but I would also can about 40 or 50 pints for the year for a quick side with dinner and quick bean soup meals. So, it is just the rainy or winter weather that would keep you in on a weekend to get your annual canned beans in the pantry.

WILCO
08-30-2015, 12:55 AM
Interesting.

MaryB
08-30-2015, 01:15 AM
Yes but they would be fresh and not something that was in a warehouse for who knows how long!

some debris means it could have grasshopper parts, stems, leaves, rocks, dirt clods, and just about anything that could be in a field. the amount depends on how well the combine operator sets up the machine, this will be a local "for hire" combine so I won't know percent of debris until the beans are in the truck. I figured once the beans were harvested I would weigh a box and figure costs, if mary's calculations are right(I have no reason to doubt her) .341 cubic feet of beans should be about 16 pounds, shipping is I think 12 bucks or so on a medium flat rate and beans would be about 8 bucks. approximately 20 bucks for 16 pounds would be 1.25 per pound--that would make it cheaper to buy in the store. all this is estimates right now based on current market price and shipping, will know a firm price hopefully next week when they are in the truck. I can do any size package but I thought the medium flat rate would work the best. shipping kind of kills this but if you still want some beans pm me so I can keep track of things. I plan on keeping about a ton or so around here for family and animal feed so I should have plenty for anyone who wants some.

jcwit
08-30-2015, 01:17 AM
Never liked beans!

starmac
08-30-2015, 02:45 AM
I think maybe I or we got off on the wrong page. I would keep quite a few pounds dry, but I would also can about 40 or 50 pints for the year for a quick side with dinner and quick bean soup meals. So, it is just the rainy or winter weather that would keep you in on a weekend to get your annual canned beans in the pantry.

Gotcha, we just never canned dry beans, now green beans, peas,etc is a different story.

starmac
08-30-2015, 02:49 AM
Never liked beans!

Now that's pert near unamerican. lol a good pot of pintos cooked with some salt pork, maybe or maybe not throw in a couple of jalopenas, along with some green onions and cornbread, is a good meal, add some fried taters and it's a better meal, add a fried crappie or two, and life don't get any better. lol

OnHoPr
08-30-2015, 03:33 AM
Beans, Beans the musical fruit. The more you eat the more you toot. The more you toot the better you feel, so eat beans for every meal. :bigsmyl2::guntootsmiley::happy dance::dung_hits_fan:

starmac
08-30-2015, 03:38 AM
Reminds me of what a kid said when we were kids.
He said beans and onions go together, and means bad breath at both ends. lol

tmax64
08-30-2015, 09:47 AM
I live SE of Denver. Might be interested in a "drive-by" especially if I was going that direction for another reason

charlie3tuna
08-31-2015, 03:48 AM
Would vacuum packing dry beans be as effective as oven canning? I'm guessing weevils, etc need air to live...charlie

rancher1913
08-31-2015, 08:51 AM
vacuum packing works fine, thats what we do for our long term storage in our tornado barrels. if there is enough interest in denver we can deliver to a central location---I'm thinking a LGS

rancher1913
09-03-2015, 09:18 AM
first and only bump to get ahead of the polls, and for anybody interested that missed the update.

tryNto
09-04-2015, 01:45 PM
I might have interest, depending on price.

Bump back up for you.

mold maker
09-04-2015, 02:13 PM
I can't imagine life without beans, especially pintos.
When first married, we made many a meal with a can of Lucks with an onion and some crackers. Times were hard and Lucks pintos were .10 a can.
Yep, I'm interested.

xbeeman412
09-04-2015, 10:47 PM
I put buckets of beans and rice in the freezer and both are just like fresh 4 years later. They keep and NOT A SINGLE BUG!

waksupi
09-05-2015, 09:25 AM
I put buckets of beans and rice in the freezer and both are just like fresh 4 years later. They keep and NOT A SINGLE BUG!

If doing dry storage of beans, rice, etc., put a couple bay leaves in the container. Keeps bugs away!

dolang1
09-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Here's my bean story. I sent a PM to rancher1913 to request payment information. His response came with an apology that he had been out of town, but I was on the list. I went to the P.O. today to buy a MO to pay for the beans. The post mistress said that I had a package (rural P.O.).
She went to get my package while I mailed my MO. When I got my package, it was my beans.
I'm just saying, 30 seconds is pretty fast turn around. Thanks rancher1913.

John Wayne
09-14-2015, 04:43 AM
This is a great opportunity to directly patronize a farmer/rancher!
I'm in for at least 4 lfrb's, pm sent.
Thanks

Teddy (punchie)
09-14-2015, 07:05 AM
HI rancher1913

So what is the end price for MFRB and LFRB ?

If I would get a bag (sack) is UPS Cheaper/per pound, just asking ?

So how was yield? How did they come off? Just asking, small talk, Are they GM, or old seed stock OP. What where the sprays use and fertilizer. If you had a semi or Organic , This can be a good chance for you to get some extra $$.

Have A Good One !! Teddy

rancher1913
09-14-2015, 09:14 AM
teddy, price ended up at 30 bucks shipped for about 24 pounds of beans. looked into ups and it was cheaper to go flat rate. shipping kills the price per pound.
not gm, don't know if they even have gm pintos, field was never sprayed, not much you can use on pintos that won't kill them as well and with the short growth cycle the few weeds don't hurt that much. we do spray some crops so organic is out, no demand for it this far out.

nixpap
09-14-2015, 01:19 PM
I buy dried pintos for less than a buck a pound. It's cool that you grow them. It just seems like a lot of effort for something locally available. Now if you had some 9mm projectiles that would be a hot seller. ��

SSGOldfart
09-14-2015, 04:03 PM
I'm in for a box too:)

SSGOldfart
09-14-2015, 04:06 PM
I'm in for a box too:) I'm already mixing the corn bread:roll:

MaryB
09-15-2015, 12:16 AM
PM sent, I could use a box, pintos in my part of MN tend to be old and stale and often need to be cooked 12 hours to get tender... not a big item out here in lack of seasoning land(people around here call tomato soup chili...)