PDA

View Full Version : Killing power

MT Chambers
08-27-2015, 07:08 PM
Make no mistake, i really like airguns, I have 4 very nice ones, a .303 Wolverine, a Huntsman, a S-510, and a TX200, and I certainly know the importance of shot placement, however a recent article in Shooting Times makes me wonder. The reviewed .35 cal. airgun fired an 88 grain pellet at 713 fps. and was recommended for MEDIUM game, now this is less power than a .32 acp., would anyone rush out to buy a .32 acp to hunt medium game?? I know, I know, shot placement Blah, blah.........I think the airgun crowd is getting carried away !!

Silverboolit
08-27-2015, 07:27 PM
LI am sure that depends on the range and what is considered medium game. YouTube has a lot of vids showing hogs, deer, etc. being taken with airguns. For what they are, the modern airgun is progressing very well.

Pipefitter
08-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Perhaps their idea of medium game is a woodchuck instead of a gopher?????

JonnyReb
08-29-2015, 07:12 PM
I think its light for what i consider "medium" game..coyote sized critters.
I had a 9mm eujin that did 100ftlbs and i didn't trust it for coyotes. Perfect headshots at close range only i would think.

Case Stuffer
08-30-2015, 07:40 AM
Native Americans use to kill Buffalo with long bows and arrows with arrowheads chipped from rock. Professional assians often use a sub sonic ( .22 long / not long rifle) in a sound moderated pistol and they were used effectively also in the tunnels of Viet Nam. State game and fish only allow use of any weapon for taking game after they are researched and proven effective .

Some say a 30 , 30 is not got for deer size game and yet they think a .44 mag. handgunwith half the power is fine for Bear,Moose, Lions and Tigers.

Teddy (punchie)
08-30-2015, 08:59 AM
Native Americans use to kill Buffalo with long bows and arrows with arrowheads chipped from rock. Professional assians often use a sub sonic ( .22 long / not long rifle) in a sound moderated pistol and they were used effectively also in the tunnels of Viet Nam. State game and fish only allow use of any weapon for taking game after they are researched and proven effective .

Some say a 30 , 30 is not got for deer size game and yet they think a .44 mag. handgunwith half the power is fine for Bear,Moose, Lions and Tigers.

Yes C S you are right. I explain it like do you like marbles or blocks, they will all kill.

GhostHawk
08-30-2015, 09:49 AM
Well said Case Stuffer!

Just because it is possible to take (kill) an animal does not make it ethical in my opinion.
By the same token too much gun used poorly ruins lots of meat every deer hunting season.

Like a .300 whetherby Mag through both back hams shattering the bone in the center.

Common sense and knowing when and when not to take the shot is all we have. And ultimately only our creator can say if we did right or wrong.

HarryT
08-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Guns are like golf clubs, you need to use the right one for the job.
PS: Suppressed weapons were not used effectively in the tunnels. They were tried and failed. Suppressors made the semi-autos too long and often times failed to eject. The quite revolvers had miss fires because of the deep seated and sealed primers. And I don't know of anyone (real combat vets) who liked the .22s (lots of failure to eject, failure to fire, and failure to kill the enemy).

HollowPoint
08-31-2015, 03:42 PM
I find it mystifying that each Game and Fish department in the country has it's own rules and regulations regarding what caliber or what power factor we can or can't use. This includes air guns or "Pneumatic Weapons;" as they are referred to here in Arizona.

It's as if the personal preferences of the upper echelon of the game management crowd along with emotional pressure asserted by the environmentalist crowd tends to determine what we can or can't use to hunt this or that game animal.

Sometimes it's just ethics and common sense and sometimes it makes no sense at all.

HollowPoint