PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Rifle For my Antelope Hunt

leadman
08-23-2015, 11:20 PM
Awhile back I posted that I had been drawn for antelope here in Az. I wanted to use my H&R Huntsman I bought in the mid 1970s as I had taken my first elk here in Az with it in the mid 1980s. It was not to be as the bore had gotten pitted on another elk hunt and it just does not shoot good anymore. The patches are being torn either during loading or firing, sabots not working either.
So Friday I went to the Sportsmans Warehouse and bought a T/C Impact 50 caliber muzzle loader rifle. Also bought some of the rather expensive saboted jacketed bullets and 209 primers. I had a new Nikon 3X9X40 with BDC I installed on it but found there was little room the get my finger on the hammer. This gun has a jacket the slide back along the hammer to release the barrel so it can swing down. So I robbed a Leupold off one of my other rifles and this works better.
I wanted to clean the preservative out that was in the bore and found the bore to be leaded from the breech to the muzzle. Took about 4 hours of cleaning to get it out. I wonder what T/C is using when they test fire the guns.

Took it to the range this morning and took 2 shots to get it sighted in at 25 yards. Took the target out to 100 yards and put 3 bullets in about 2" with 100 grs. of loose Pyrodex RS Select. The group was a little low and to the left but I took the target to 200 yards. I should have corrected the sighting error at 100 yards. It was hot and I had other things to do so I left and went to the SW and bought some of the Pyrodex pellets.
I'll take it back out this week and use the pellets and refine the poi to 3" high at 100 yards.
I am very happy with the gun as it gave me no problems at the range and shot well. I think the pellets and the sabots will make a great hunting set-up but I will do my plinking either with a roundball or the Lee REAL bullet. I have the Lee 2 cavity mold that drops one of each.
Hunt opens on 9-4 so time is short. Just hope the temperatures drop to a survivable level by then.
Even though my old H&R is an inline the technology in this new gun is a real aid to good shooting.

Did meet a guy next to me that had purchased a new Remington 700 muzzleloader that is rated for 200 grs. of powder. He did not say what problems he had but he sent it to Remington and they sent him a check for what he had paid for it. Not good. He bought a CVA to replace it and the hammer on it would not stay back at times when cocked.

OnHoPr
08-24-2015, 12:15 AM
Just for the heck of it, since you have a DRAWN tag, which means it could be on a low percentage successful draw rate and you may not get that many chances at a AZ antelope permit. Give a package of those TC 200 gr Shockwaves a try. With the new rifle condition and 150 gr of powder you may have decent enough groups for 300 yds. I shot a couple of groups with them in the 1 moa range and sighted in for 200 yds there might not be that much of a drop @ 300 for you. I know the boolit performs well on broadside deer at 78 good paces.

leadman
08-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Took me about 30 years to draw this antelope tag.
I bought some more of the Hornady 250 gr bullets so am going to stick with them. I may use this on my October cow elk hunt also. Depends on how well I like the gun.

duckey
08-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Good luck. Have you ever tried American Puoneer powder. It comes in loose or stick form. Been shooting Pyrodex for many years. I heard of American Pioneer powder but had a hard time finding it. It burns cleaner and allows more shots between cleaning but not as many as they advertised unless your shooting a sabot I suppose.

leadman
08-25-2015, 11:52 AM
I did not shoot my muzzle loaders for about 20 years until recently so have not tried powders other the Goex ,Pyrodex, and Goex Clear Shot.

OnHoPr
08-25-2015, 02:24 PM
The American Pioneer powder is the cleanest burning powder, but the Pyrodex Select has been the most uniform. I did get the AP powder to shoot the Maxis and Idaho Ron's Lee 440 fairly well with 70 to 80 grs. It might shoot the Lee REAL boolit well also.

Gofaaast
08-25-2015, 05:12 PM
If your regulations allow I would get a bottle of Blackhorn 209 and not look back. I would take a bottle of it over a barrel of any other smoke pole powder.