PDA

View Full Version : Thieves

starmac
08-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Well yesterday my wife calls me and ask if for some reason had I come got the pickup. She didn't know it, but I had left on a run and wouldn't be back till 1 in the morning or so, it just happenned that I was in a small area (maybe 10 miles that had cell service when she called), so I told her I would call her back when I got to Delta. Welll we were hopeing that one of her employees or co workers had played a joke and hid it, but no luck there. Within the hour my son and daughter and their spouses hit facebook, and had somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 people out driving around looking for it. My son got a call and said it was spotted at a high rate of speed on the dike, so everyone headed for the area, and found it off the road, stuck after it had gone about 50 feet through a thick stand of small trees. Not a whole lot of damage, other than a bent steering stabilizer shock and the bumper, didn't even break the old school hellas mounted behind the pushbar.

They had taken the stereo (naturally) and I just noticed my AMMO is gone out of the console. I keep , 22 mag, 30/30,338 mag45/70, 44 mag,357 mag and 375 mag in it at all times, so that I am never caught without ammo for whatever I happen to throw in.
The suckers got quite a variety, but only one box of each.
Did I mention I hate thieves.

crowbuster
08-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Boy howdy ! They should be glad you didnt catch em. Hope they run their mouths and you hear who did it. Never understood the mindset really.I hate em too. sorry they dinged ya

MaryB
08-24-2015, 03:18 AM
Joyriding kids... some people should not be allowed to be parents...

waynem34
08-24-2015, 03:23 AM
Hope the little rascal feels the pain. Sure it was hellava stop.

Teddy (punchie)
08-24-2015, 03:33 AM
I hate sticky finger iddie.

I always say what comes around goes around. With my luck I would not use that ammo for fear of paying a high price, like the gun getting jammed up or blowing it up.

starmac
08-24-2015, 03:48 AM
Well the steering was bad when you turned to the right, but I lucked out and all that was was a broken stabilizer shock. A new rancho cured that right up.
Since the thief was kind enough to LOCK it up and keep the key, I guess he was afraid someone would steal it. I changed out the key cylinder, to maybe keep him from stealing it again. lol
The damage to the bumper turned out to just be all the plastic clips that holds the plastic covers on it.
There is a small ding in the bed, and a small ding in the running board, neither of which I will worry about, but the front license plate was doa, so all in all, I'm only out 200 bucks so far, but still have to replace the stereo.

waynem34
08-24-2015, 03:58 AM
little brat or thug get his butt in a sling if he aint careful.

Mal Paso
08-24-2015, 07:36 PM
I got a Kenwood digital everything that automatically connects the phone for under $150. Going to get another for the truck. Awesome update for any vehicle with prehistoric factory audio. Less than the cost of 1 tire.

jcwit
08-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Dang, I hate things like that, you seem to be taking it fairly well, I had 10 gallons of gas stolen back when the price was $2.10, never realized I could get so pissed over $21 bucks, course there was the cost of the cans.

Pumpkinheaver
08-24-2015, 08:11 PM
I hate thieves!!!!! Glad you got your truck back.

starmac
08-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Dang, I hate things like that, you seem to be taking it fairly well, I had 10 gallons of gas stolen back when the price was $2.10, never realized I could get so pissed over $21 bucks, course there was the cost of the cans.

Oh belive me, I was plenty pissed, but happy to get the pickup back, just nothing else to do but laugh about it.

Newboy
08-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Hmmmm....
Maybe I should load some of that old brass with a case full of Bullseye, and leave it on the dash for 'Em.
But then, maybe not.

fatelk
08-24-2015, 11:22 PM
I have a very bad opinion of thieves. What makes someone think that they have a right to take someone else's stuff?!? I would rather give away $100 than have $10 stolen.

On the other hand I recently made a similar comment to a work acquaintance and he looked at me like I was crazy. He made some comment along the lines of how if someone doesn't want something stolen they should lock it up so it can't be stolen; If something's in a place where someone can steal it, it's fair game and the owner shouldn't be upset that it get taken.

I suspect that some cultures have a much higher tolerance for theft and crime in general. Personally I had it pounded into my psyche from the time I was very young that you don't take what doesn't belong to you.

BrassMagnet
08-24-2015, 11:46 PM
I have a very bad opinion of thieves. What makes someone think that they have a right to take someone else's stuff?!? I would rather give away $100 than have $10 stolen.

On the other hand I recently made a similar comment to a work acquaintance and he looked at me like I was crazy. He made some comment along the lines of how if someone doesn't want something stolen they should lock it up so it can't be stolen; If something's in a place where someone can steal it, it's fair game and the owner shouldn't be upset that it get taken.

I suspect that some cultures have a much higher tolerance for theft and crime in general. Personally I had it pounded into my psyche from the time I was very young that you don't take what doesn't belong to you.

Your work acquaintance is likely a recreational drug user. That attitude seems to go hand in hand with illegal drug usage. If he knows you are a shooter then your guns are at risk of theft. If he doesn't take part in the theft, he will likely tell his doper friends about how guns can be stolen at your house.

ol skool
08-25-2015, 12:16 AM
Taught to never steal and never lie for you will always be considered a thief and a liar. Right around the time I was taught to never raise a hand at a girl. Pretty much before had a clue what it meant.

I ratted out thieves when I was a kid. A couple asked if I did it, told them yes. We met up under the maple tree and fought over it. No regrets.

I hate thieves. Have learned to listen to liars, they usually show their true colors pretty quick.

fixit
08-25-2015, 12:59 AM
a truism about liars is that it takes ten lies to cover for every lie one tells...before long they can't keep the web of lies straight! as said above, it doesn't take long for a liar to show their true nature...sadly, we have an entire generation that appears to be drawn to, and in by, liars. that's how we ended up in the political mess we are in as a country!!!

smokeywolf
08-25-2015, 01:10 AM
Didn't read all of the replies, but did anyone mention that you should be looking for them to come back for the guns that use all that ammo?

Thieves often strike the same place twice.

starmac
08-25-2015, 02:39 AM
Didn't read all of the replies, but did anyone mention that you should be looking for them to come back for the guns that use all that ammo?

Ha, we can only hope. lol
But then they got the pickup at my wifes job, not at home.

starmac
08-25-2015, 02:50 AM
I didn't even notice it untill my wife pointed it out today, but they also took the plastic bed side covers off. lol
It saved me the trouble, as just last week I decided to remove them and build a headache rack with metal rails, so as to have better tiedown points.

smokeywolf
08-25-2015, 03:11 AM
starmac,
If your registration was in your truck, they may know your address.

starmac
08-25-2015, 03:27 AM
I wouldn't be hard to find, but am pretty sure they don't want to go there. It is just something I'm not worried too much about. I did change the key switch out, so they can't EASILY go back to there job and grab it again.

waynem34
08-25-2015, 06:35 AM
Yeah too bad you didn't find the little *******, but it is good they didn't hurt someone else. If I would have found them unconscious on the side of the road after stealing my truck. "Well" may not be the out come.

mold maker
08-25-2015, 09:56 AM
To a thief, your property is just free shopping, at the mall.
Last time they pilfered my truck, they got scared off, and left me a cheap flash light.
I'd be glad to personally give it back to them along with a message.

WILCO
08-25-2015, 10:02 AM
But then they got the pickup at my wifes job, not at home.

How did they get the key?

starmac
08-25-2015, 11:59 AM
There was a key in the pickup.

Hardcast416taylor
08-25-2015, 12:15 PM
Always bad to hear, or find your property taken. An old adage kinda fits this situation. "Those crooks prove the point that their parents should`ve practiced better birth control."Robert

mold maker
08-25-2015, 02:16 PM
If all the thieves had been eliminated by birth control, what a wonderful world it would be. Most of the liars, and drunks/druggies gone at the same time.
The pill should be free.

EOD3
08-25-2015, 02:30 PM
I know it sounds ridiculous (to me anyway) but it's illegal for honest people to leave a trap for the scum.

Hmmmm....
Maybe I should load some of that old brass with a case full of Bullseye, and leave it on the dash for 'Em.
But then, maybe not.

EOD3
08-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Many, many years ago, I was an MP (ARMY) when people started calling it "joy riding". It sounds SO MUCH better than Grand Theft Auto. :cool:

Joyriding kids... some people should not be allowed to be parents...

NavyVet1959
08-25-2015, 03:34 PM
I know it sounds ridiculous (to me anyway) but it's illegal for honest people to leave a trap for the scum.

Awh, it wouldn't be a trap, it would just be a "reloading mistake".

"Awh, gee... I was *sure* that I had put a case full of WC872 in that brass."

quickdraw66
08-25-2015, 03:41 PM
You mean that wasn't 51grs of IMR4320 in that 30-06 case? I must have forgotten to empty my powder hopper of bullseye. :shock:

starmac
08-25-2015, 06:40 PM

Uh, so whats your point. lol I wouldn't personally do it, because I would be afraid I would forget someday and light it off myself. lol

starmac
08-25-2015, 06:46 PM
Many, many years ago, I was an MP (ARMY) when people started calling it "joy riding". It sounds SO MUCH better than Grand Theft Auto. :cool:

Even the law here is joy riding, no such a thing as grand theft auto, the way I understand it. The law doesn't waste much effort trying to catch car thieves. A guy stole a friends pickup and drove it home, but parked in the alley. When the law came the footsteps were plain to see leading from the pickup to their back door, they didn't even bother knocking on it.

waynem34
08-25-2015, 10:50 PM
Booby trap.

waynem34
08-25-2015, 10:54 PM
It aint but one to teach them ,cut em.

Ickisrulz
08-25-2015, 11:13 PM

I had someone steal a 5 gallon gas can that I used for waste motor oil. It was full at the time. I wonder if they poured that stuff into their car's tank. I kind of hope they did.

waynem34
08-26-2015, 12:59 AM
I had someone steal a 5 gallon gas can that I used for waste motor oil. It was full at the time. I wonder if they poured that stuff into their car's tank. I kind of hope they did.

Ha ha would of known who got it.

NavyVet1959
08-26-2015, 09:46 AM
Ha ha would of known who got it.

Used motor oil would have been noticeable enough that he might not have gotten much into his tank before recognizing it wasn't gasoline. On the other hand, filling a tank with water and putting some gasoline on top (since it is lighter than water, it will float) would be more subtle. If he opens it and smells it, it's going to smell like gasoline might even look like gasoline as long as he doesn't pour it out into a clear container. Once it goes in the tank though, the water is going to sink to the bottom where the fuel pump is and thus he's not going to go too far.

.45Cole
08-27-2015, 10:04 PM
Maybe it's time to load up a .338mag with a moly bullet and about 30 grns of Bullseye. You know, just to keep that company, a 45/70 with a moly bullet on 50grns of Bullseye might even make a crater.

Gofaaast
08-27-2015, 10:49 PM
We had a little trouble with gas thieves when I was a kid. I tried to convince Dad to set out a can with some sugar and water added. He never would let me do it for fear he would use it.

NavyVet1959
08-27-2015, 10:56 PM
Maybe it's time to load up a .338mag with a moly bullet and about 30 grns of Bullseye. You know, just to keep that company, a 45/70 with a moly bullet on 50grns of Bullseye might even make a crater.

Nawh, you need to use a caliber that they are likely to have.

.45Cole
08-27-2015, 11:13 PM
.338 mag in AK would be pretty good bet. Prob lots of Marlin 45/70's too. If I'm loading Bullseye, it needs to be a big case. Starmac, how's my guessing? Mainly .22-250's, .300's, and 7mm mags here in elk country.

badbob454
08-27-2015, 11:28 PM

this is what i was thinking now they know you have guns...

fatelk
08-27-2015, 11:42 PM
We had a little trouble with gas thieves when I was a kid. I tried to convince Dad to set out a can with some sugar and water added. He never would let me do it for fear he would use it.

Decades ago my dad had just gotten home from a meeting or something that went late, and was sitting in the car in the driveway with the lights off talking to the other farmer who had ridden along with him. They were finishing up a conversation before the other guy got in his own car to go home.

They heard the crunch of gravel in the dark coming up the driveway towards the farm fuel tanks by the barns. My dad opened the car door and stepped out. A young guy dropped the gas can he was carrying and took of into the darkness. We had that can around for years.

It's funny, people will laugh at a story like that. They shrug it off as kid stuff, reckless things young people do and pranks and trouble they get into. Stealing gas, smashing mailboxes, making tire tracks in someone's yard in the middle of the night. Ha, ha, ha, to be young again!

It's not funny to me. Theft and vandalism aren't funny. If someone's doing those things as a teen or young adult, something went wrong in their upbringing.

Mauser48
08-28-2015, 12:44 AM
Leave all the doors open in your house with some good stuff out in the open then hide behind your couch and jump em like a deer!

Mauser48
08-28-2015, 12:48 AM
Nawh, you need to use a caliber that they are likely to have.

Set up a 223, 9mm, or 45 with just a primer so they get a squib. They are too dumb to look down the barrel. They will just rack the slide back again and pull the trigger.

NavyVet1959
08-28-2015, 01:01 AM
Set up a 223, 9mm, or 45 with just a primer so they get a squib. They are too dumb to look down the barrel. They will just rack the slide back again and pull the trigger.

Might need a bit more than just a primer. The ones that I've seen with just a primer ended up not going far enough down a barrel to block the next round from loading. Plus, if it's a semi-auto, that be unlikely to cycle the slide.

I'm thinking a case full of the fastest powder you can find and then an oversized steel bullet that would be unlikely to be able to make it down the barrel. You would want something that would blow up as close to their face as possible.

A 12-gauge shell completed full of a fast powder, without a buffer, and with some sort of oversized slug that would not be able to make it down the barrel might be an option.

starmac
08-28-2015, 02:25 AM
this is what i was thinking now they know you have guns...

Uh, This is Alaska, they know everybody has guns, infact, they are probably wanting know to why someone drives a pickup without at least one giun in it at all times. lol

Yes, 300, 338, 375 magnums and 45/70's are all popular here.

jcwit
08-28-2015, 09:24 AM
Laying a trap for someone is a sure fire way to get in trouble.

Courts don't look kindly to such actions.

Lawyer costs to defend oneself ain't cheap.

starmac
08-28-2015, 12:12 PM
Years ago we were rebuilding a rr track and adding a siding in the pimey woods of East Texas. Every night someone would steal a few crossties (used ones that we were removing. One night we backed up in some trees and had a beer or two laying in wait for them. We waited until they had 3 or 4 ties loaded them hit them with the headlights, and the slow speed dirt road race was on. We chased them several miles and they would swerve back and forth to keep us from passing them, but we finally got in front of them and got them stopped. There were 2 big old husky country boys and one of thems wife in the pickup, and they were all sweating bricks. When asked why they ran they answered they were stealing a few to use for corner posts. We told them we were just trying to stop them so we could loan them some tie handlers (easier than picking them up by hand) Gave them a beer, and loaned them a set of tie tongs and told them where to leave them when they got how many they could load.
They didn't realize they were doing us a favor getting them out of the way. lol

The relief on their faces was priceless. lol

MaryB
08-29-2015, 01:08 AM
wish they did that with used ties now! They just redid a track by me with all brand new ties for a 20 mile stretch, ties get sold to Home Depot or Menards who then resell them.

starmac
08-29-2015, 03:04 AM
They sold them to the highest bidder back then too, but I have buried tons of them when the buyer was slow to pick them up. I did get the bid a couple of times, and made some good side money with them too though.

Elkins45
08-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Another problem with booby trapped ammo is that you have no idea if the person who will pull the trigger on it is the same person who stole it. Some innocent kid doesn't deserve to have his fingers blown off because his dad is a scumbag.

buckwheatpaul
08-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Better watch your home....they have an idea what you have....so I would suggest a safe, bolted down of course. I hate theives as well....so keep a vigil on your home.....Paul

EOD3
08-29-2015, 11:18 PM
Uh, so whats your point. lol I wouldn't personally do it, because I would be afraid I would forget someday and light it off myself. lol

Did you catch the EOD part of EOD3? If I build a booby-trap, LOTS of people will know about it.

EOD Acronym standing for Every One Drinks. :drinks::2 drunk buddies:

jcwit
08-30-2015, 01:26 AM
:cry::veryconfu:popcorn: