PDA

View Full Version : Took 1st place in a local woods walk today

Maven
08-23-2015, 03:48 PM
After many years of trying to win, or at least not embarrass myself, I took 1st place at a local woods walk today. There were 18 - 22 shooters (some arrived late, others left early owing to other commitments), some of whom I know to be excellent shots. Targets were the usual assortment of gongs from 50 yd. to 162 yd. (I missed it!), Tootsie Roll Pops @ 20 yd., golf balls on tees @ 25 yd., chain links, both vertical and horizontal at 50 yd., and a 2' pc. of re-bar @ 50 yd. The chains and re-bar were especially challenging, as was the Xmas ornament @ 30 yd., which could barely be seen in the dim light of the woods.

What's interesting is that my .50cal. Lyman GPR (cap lock) showed a distinct preference for a .488" RB cast from a [.50 cal] Lyman mould v. the .492" RB cast from a nominally .50cal. RCBS mould. The balls were weighed and sorted to ~.5gr., btw. Moreover, had I paid more attention to a target I fired @ 50yd. from a rest with the GPR, I would have realized that diameter RB and .018" pillow ticking patches are an excellent combination. It was also very easy to start and ram home, even after many shots. Although most don't do this, I vary my powder charges according to the distance: I used 40gr. Diamondback FFg for the close shots and 90gr. for the 162 yd. gong.

Lastly, I lubed my patches (recipe below) with an alcohol - olive oil concoction recommended by Taylor Sapergia: They were wet when I put them on the muzzle and really held the fouling in check. I did dry swab the bore twice during the event, but only as a precaution, as it really wasn't necessary.

D. Taylor Sapergia’s Bullet Lube
I like shooting the smooth bored PA fowler. I use the heavier charge (85 grs. FFg) because it shoots where I want at all ranges out to 109 yds. (our farthest target on the trail). You are good to go with the .595 and .600 balls, and I like your choice of patch material. I usually use saliva - lots of it - in the summer, but in the winter, I switch too a lube with methyl hydrate to keep it from freezing.

I use precut patches ~1 1/8" soaked with the following mixture: I fill an Appleton's rum bottle, having consumed the great rum, with winter strength windshield washer antifreeze, to within a couple inches of the top. I then add a couple ounces of Murphy Oil soap, and a couple ounces of Neatsfoot Oil. Olive or Canola oil is just as good. This stuff does not blend into a combined liquid, and requires shaking just before you use it. I fill a Sucrets tin with the precut patches I'm going to shoot that day, shake the bottle, and pour it over the patches. When they have absorbed as much as they will, pour the extra back into the bottle, and then squeeze out the patches a little to remove the overflow as well. But I leave them very wet. With these soaked patches, you should be able to shoot all day and never have to wipe the bore. And loading is not hard with a wooden rod.

lobowolf761
08-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Congrats on the win. I like the recipe for the patch lube and maybe try it but I will have to get the bottle of rum first.

Maven
08-23-2015, 06:40 PM
"... I will have to get the bottle of rum first." ...lobowolf761

lobo, Thanks! The rum may be the best part, but the proportions aren't critical. Not having an empty rum bottle, I used a plastic 1l. Gatorade bottle.

NF Hunter
08-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Maven, Congrats on the win. How many targets did they have on the walk? Just want to know how many shots with two bore swabbing's.

waksupi
08-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Happy you did well! I'm sure looking forward to being able to shoot here again.

johnson1942
08-23-2015, 10:41 PM
your the real deal maven. keep haveing fun.

waarp8nt
08-23-2015, 11:11 PM
Congrats!

Maven
08-24-2015, 08:27 AM
Thanks, guys! It was nice to finish as well as I did for a change. (LOL) As for the total no. of shots, it was 20, but several of us shot twice at the 162 yd. gong, the 2nd shot, of course, wasn't for record. Any of the "moose milk" blends manages fouling very well, if you keep the patch just a tad shy of dripping. As I wrote yesterday, I really didn't need to swab my bore, but did just to see how much fouling was present (not much at all).

Ric, Hope you get to shoot again soon! Btw, I think the Isaac Haines will make its presence known at the next woods walk I attend.

45-70bpcr
08-28-2015, 09:10 AM
Sounds like a challenging course. Curious what sights do you use on your GPR. will a Lyman 57 GPR give you elevation enough for the long gong? Congratulations by the way! Thanks for sharing.

Maven
08-28-2015, 07:22 PM
45-70bpcr, Although I liked the adjustable sight [which came with the rifle] better, its windage adjustment wandered all over the place. I removed it, tossed it in the trash, and installed the primitive sight, which also came with the rifle. Once I got the windage adjusted, I filed the front sight a bit so I would be ~1" high @ 50 yd. (60gr. FFg, .488" or .492" RB + .018" pillow ticking patch). It hasn't given me a bit of trouble since.

The long gong is really a ~5 ft. tall oxygen tank, but you've got to be perfect in your aim to hit it as it is so narrow. I held on the top 1/4 of the tank, but shot off to the left both times. I've hit it before, though, once for record and on a 2nd not-for-record shot. Half our group hit it, others didn't hold high enough, but alas, I pulled my shots.