PDA

View Full Version : The "TODAY SHOW"

floodgate
03-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Friends:

Since I first moved here from "Shooters' ", via "Accurate", just three years ago, I have tried to keep up with this site's whole range of topics, threads and individual posts via the "TODAY" page, for three prime reasons: (1) I am interested in just about anything the "gang" comes up with, on whatever topic; (2) with a single-line dial-up connection (unless I were to invest several hundred $$$ that can better be spent on tools, alloys and moulds, in a satellite link or wireless relay connection to one of the local wineries) it would take even longer to chase individual topics and threads; and (3) I am - I admit it - compulsive as all-get-out.

But with membership now exceeding 5,000 - the majority of us active posters - "TODAY" is now running 15 to 25 twenty-five-post pages per 24-hours; and I find I am spending two to four hours a day peering at the screen, chasing down info for inquiries about tools and moulds, and sorting and filing the "hard copies" I feel compelled to print into three dozen or so notebooks and individual correspondence folders. Plus, of course, tying up the single 'phone line into our rural household. I must admit, Bev has been very nice about this all, considering.... But, it is time to change my approach:

Form here on, I will try to look in daily, at least at the "Cast Bullets" and "Swaging" threads and others as they appear of special interest; but I will also be missing a lot. Sooo...

If anyone has inquiries, offers for sale or swap, or other things to communicate with me about, please hit me via PM (or e-mail), referencing any relevant threads or posts, and I will respond as promptly as possible; I will undertake to keep my inbox cleared and open.

See Ya'

Doug Elliott/"floodgate"

45nut
03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
No small task anymore for anyone, a missed day or two or three would mean several hundred posts now, versus the few dozen of the past.

Growing is certain and steady, catching every post directed at anyone is a daunting task. Threads get buried quickly and it is only with help I could hope to keep an eye out.

I also use the "today" button for the reasons above and often skim quickly past some, ok, most posts trying to look out for trouble and seeking to help when I am best suited to.

Keeping up in the benefit auction area alone is not easy, but a welcome sight when auctions get busy and I will ask openly for help right here should I miss a closing date.

I am available most evenings in chat to help and enjoy a hour or two meeting and greeting new members and old, discussing the world with friends around the virtual campfire as it seems to be.

Spring may bring a slowdown, summer also, but this forum and the mission of sharing and helping continues to be the focus.

waksupi
03-31-2008, 08:19 PM
I definitely agree, the amount of posts makes it almost impossible to catch everything. If something slips by us, that you feel needs attention, contact one of the moderators, and we'll take a look. Fortunately, it is a darn good group of people we have here, and we don't have much nasty business to ever deal with.

No_1
03-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Ken,

We could not have this place if it were not for constant work of you and the moderators. I know it is a major task but please know it does not go un-noticed.

Thank you again for providing our cyber-home.

Robert

No small task anymore for anyone, a missed day or two or three would mean several hundred posts now, versus the few dozen of the past.

Growing is certain and steady, catching every post directed at anyone is a daunting task. Threads get buried quickly and it is only with help I could hope to keep an eye out.

I also use the "today" button for the reasons above and often skim quickly past some, ok, most posts trying to look out for trouble and seeking to help when I am best suited to.

Keeping up in the benefit auction area alone is not easy, but a welcome sight when auctions get busy and I will ask openly for help right here should I miss a closing date.

I am available most evenings in chat to help and enjoy a hour or two meeting and greeting new members and old, discussing the world with friends around the virtual campfire as it seems to be.

Spring may bring a slowdown, summer also, but this forum and the mission of sharing and helping continues to be the focus.

buckndee
03-31-2008, 10:14 PM
I second what no 1 said. Thanks for the great site. I know if I am off line for a few days it takes a loooong time to catch up on every thing, forget it, if more than a week has past. I learn something new each time I visit castboolits.gunloads.com.

Regards, Buck.

floodgate
03-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Adding to my starter post, areas I can help on are Ideal, Lyman, Modern-Bond and Belding & Mull mould, tool and accessory identification.

Things I am looking for are: the scarcer, pre Spartan/Spar-T Lyman and any Ideal bench tools; Ideal/Harvey "Prot-X-Bore" and half-jacket "Jugular" moulds in the #xxx500 - xxx521 series; and certain of the older fixed-block Ideal moulds, especially the one- and two-piece cylindrical moulds for paper patching. I have all the Modern-Bond and B & M tools and moulds I need.

Feel free to PM or e-mail me on any of these.

Ciao! ["Do-Svidaniye" to "Molly"!]

Doug

DLCTEX
03-31-2008, 11:29 PM
It is becoming a full time job to stay current. I have given notice to my teenager that I will be taking the laptop on vacation (10 more days!) . He will have to stay and work and separating him from the laptop is like pulling teeth, but I gotta have my cast boolit fix. DALE

Bret4207
04-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Thank goodness! The Gov't is offering their help!!! A Gov't official contacted me today concerned about the very subject you all are speaking of and the resultant eye strain, lost time, anxiety, general malaise, and hemorrhoid issues. Our benevolent Gov't has come up with a low cost plan, (under 35 million dollars at projected rates) that will remedy this problem through the use of a simple licensing and quota plan. Those rich, fat cat's that make too many posts are hogging the bandwidth and the disenfranchised low number posters are suffering for it. The plan is to equalize the burden and redistribute the posts. A surcharge on posters....... I mean a "contribution, who make more than .28769487687 posts per day will equalize the burden, lower carbon emissions, cause weight loss in the pudgy, regrow hair, makes you attractive to super models and bring peace to the Korean Peninsula. Overhead costs are minimal requiring a mere $102,493.67 per member. An extensive background check going back to the 1 st grade and including interviews with your Great, Great Grandparents is of course required. No doubt the problem will be solved as soon as this program is initiated.

Boy! It's sounds like the answer to our dreams doesn't it?! Thank goodness for the Gov't.

Boz330
04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Bret, I do hope that was tongue in cheek:kidding: About the only thing the gubermint is helping me with is a faster tract to the poor house. Pretty soon it might be cheaper for me to pay my customers not to come.
I'm thinking for a retirement scheme, I might start taking all of these credit cards that I'm offered every week. Don't charge anything so the limit will go up. Then borrow cash against everyone of them and move to the Bahamas, or someplace nice where they can't find me.:bigsmyl2:

Bob