PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

LongRangeAir
08-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Tried to open the app. for lead formulas, and its' a no go on my comp. so---

here's the question.

I'm shooting a .257 airgun in the 2090 fpe range for both vermin and wild pig's here in Texas. I have quite a few molds here from mostly NOE and Love'm!

An older neighbor brought over around 65-70 lbs of ingots cast from ww's back in the 70's, so it is rather high in antimony. As in HARD!!! Far too hard as it would both cause a lot of friction in my boolits as well has hinder the performance in the HP's I am shooting. (NOE RD 80 gr, 5 cavity, HP'd by Eric.)

Now, I can either trade it in at the local scrap yard for lead roof flashings, or mix it with pure. I need the BHN fairly low. I currently use Pure mixed with 2% tin.

What say you o'l wise ones?:bigsmyl2:

KnifeMaker

lobowolf761
08-21-2015, 10:54 PM
Mix it 50/50 with pure and see what you get. I just did a big batch of wheel weights and mixed it with an equal amount of Linotype and ended up with an alloy real close to #2. You may even want to do a 2-1 or 3-1 mix. Higher number being the pure. I'd hang on to the ingots and mix the pure with it.

lobowolf761
08-21-2015, 10:56 PM
I'm just not that familiar with the air rifles or what alloys they can use.

Minerat
08-21-2015, 11:01 PM
Have you checked this Forum thread it has a number of lead calculators that may run on your computer? http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?105952-Lead-alloy-calculators
(http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?105952-Lead-alloy-calculators)

LongRangeAir
08-22-2015, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the input Guy's! Don't get hung up on the AG part, as it's 1030 fps and HP with 3700 psi air. Thats the major part. The only part that is directly AG related, is not having the starting pressure that powder has. So no filling out of the base if the bullet is too small, and friction is a HUGE enemy. So overly hard+ a lot of friction.

Basically looking for good performance in the HP on varmint's which would need to be fast opening. Pure lead with a touch of tin, is rather explosive with in 200 yards!

Will try the Calc', but so far, every time I try to open one, my comp. gets a message that I need to input info from when I purchased the Comp. Man, that was a long time ago! LOL!!!

KnifeMaker