PDA

View Full Version : Has any one done buisness with Preppersdiscount

kbstenberg
08-21-2015, 10:17 PM
I have been looking at P.D. and there solvent traps that can be converted to a silencer. And I am looking for anyone that has built a silencer from there parts, How difficult it was, and what was your accuracy with it. Kevin
Yes I searched past threads. And none discussed my question.

waksupi
08-22-2015, 12:29 AM
Now why would you come here and ask how to violate a federal law? Got the paperwork?

kbstenberg
08-22-2015, 08:00 AM
No I have not filled out the form to legally own a suppressor YET. And I am going to. We in Minn. have just recently been given the privalage to be able to own an use noise reducing devices. And I am looking at my options when I do purchase one. Kevin
Waksupi I am not the brightest bulb in the pack. An I am hopeing your question was just pulling my chain.
I have just had some new information given to me and I am asking that also.
If I have a license to own a suppressor. Am I only allowed to have manufactured silencers. And is it illegal to (DIY) make my own?

shooter93
08-22-2015, 06:13 PM
You can make your own suppressor but you have to go through the same process as if you bought one including the tax stamp and numbering the unit. And you have to do the work not have some other shop that isn't licensed do any work for you although I'm not sure how that could ever be proven but it is a rule.

blueeyephil
08-22-2015, 07:10 PM
I've looked at those myself. I'm planning on getting a suppressor one of these days. I think the legal process is a bit different. Form 1 to make vs form 4 to purchase outright.

One of my concerns about converting a solvent trap into a suppressor is weight and durability.

You are still going to pay $200 to the gov. So I want to make sure I make a good decision. I think I'll buy a prebuilt of titanium and stainless steel. Not aluminum and mild steel.

GhostHawk
08-22-2015, 09:53 PM
Hickok45 featured an oil filter and adapter on one of his video's some 6 months back.

I'd start by watching that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs

Be aware the second you screw an adapter onto your gun and add an oil filter without paperwork in place you just committed a felony.
If you are even considering this, get the tax stamp first. If you are in any way potentially thinking of having more than just yourself shoot it, do a trust and list EVERYONE who might want to shoot it.

A trust may cost a bit more but tends to be a lot faster.

If you have no one in your area, I would suggest you find someone who deals in silencer/suppressors, and the paperwork that goes with them. The one I know of is Fargo Arm's across the river in Fargo ND. Tom is a great guy, and a good FFL as well.

dragon813gt
08-22-2015, 10:41 PM
It is legal to build a solvent trap. The second you add a means of noise suppression is when the felony starts. Then there is whole issue of constructive intent. I suggest you research NFA laws. While a little convoluted they are fairly easy to follow.

MaryB
08-24-2015, 03:23 AM
And the ATF DOES monitor these boards...

Jupiter7
08-25-2015, 01:22 AM
I'd skip the preppers discount for centerfire rifle build. I recently completed a repurposed solvent trap/valve spring retainers on a form one. All titanium. Cost after stamp was $450, you'd be hard pressed to find a better performing commercial can. 300blackout is airgun quiet.

Jupiter7
08-25-2015, 01:27 AM
For example, this is a 8.5" 30cal can. 1.625odX1.486id. 7vsr's and spacer material. You can see a vsr in right side of picture. Also can see the original mock-up I drew with the muzzle brake/mount I used. Needless to say I have a few more pending approval.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/24/f7c9cd2c5d7fdcffc4fad1c600f24a62.jpg

The Vsr's are 1.480OD and already had a .385 hole. End cap is drilled 3/8". The whole thing weighs exactly 18oz.