PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dog TLC-359-190-RNFP/GC TL Groove VS Standard Lube Grooves?

JesterGrin_1
08-21-2015, 04:05 AM
I am heavily contemplating purchasing a copy of the Ranch Dog TLC-359-190-RNFP/GC for use in my Marlin 35 Remington. But the company can produce the mold in either the TL Grooves or a standard lube groove arrangement.

Is there a benefit of one design over the other?

Thank You. :bigsmyl2:

petroid
08-21-2015, 07:57 AM
Conventional lube groove boolits can be tumble lubed as well as TL boolits.

captaint
08-21-2015, 07:59 AM
I can only speak to one side of the story. I don't own any TL type molds. I read here, long ago, that the standard loob gruv molds work just fine with tumble loobing. Early on, I tried it and it did work fine. Later I got a Star and haven't TL'd since. That's all I got...

Maximumbob54
08-21-2015, 08:13 AM
My better performance with my RD TL mold has always been copying what RD himself does. He warms LLA and dips each one and sets them on wax paper to dry. You get a very thick coating without the nose having any so they don't gunk up the molds. Once you work it out it's not as slow as it sounds. During sizing you get a lot of dried alox build up that you can collect up and mix back in the pot of alox. So there is very little waste. The TL design allows more build up of the coating than the regular lube groove design. Alox done this way performs very well but it is pretty smoke filled in the air when fired. Honestly if you buy or even make a cake cutter then pan lube can be just as fast.

jmort
08-21-2015, 10:09 AM
I have a lot of TL/micro-groove molds and like them. I have a lot of standard groove molds and like them. Use what you like. The majority don't favor TL bullets. I'm with Ranch Dog in liking them, a lot.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-21-2015, 10:43 AM
Jester,
I have that actual RD TL mold, in a 3x3, meaning it drops 3 plain base and 3 GC boolits. let me know if you want some samples. Is you company going to make an exact clone ? IF so, I'd go with the TL, due to the fact that RD's TL ribs are larger than the standard TL that Lee offers in there standard TL lineup. I think RD's design is superior.
Jon

JesterGrin_1
08-21-2015, 07:24 PM
Thank You all for the information. As far as the Ranch Dog designs I was not sure if changing them from a Tumble lube design to a standard type of lube groove boolit design would have an adverse effect on accuracy.

So from what I gather either type of design is fine depending on if a person likes to use LLA for a lube or its equivalents or a harder lube used in a Lubrisizer. Also from what I understand the Tumble Lube type of Boolit designs can still be sized and lubricated in a Lubrisizer.

jaysouth
08-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Accurate Molds can make you a mold with two cavities for each. Then you and your rifle decide which is best.

44man
08-23-2015, 08:26 AM
I use many TL boolits but I use a good lube like Felix on them. Even with regular grooves, I want more then one. I think one huge groove alters the balance and reduces drive length.

mdi
08-23-2015, 11:26 AM
I can only attest to the good shooting of Ranch Dog's .44 cal. bullets from a Lee mold (from Ranch Dog). I dip lube my bullets in 45-45-10, ala Ranch Dog, both the 240 gr and the 265 gr. Both equally accurate in all my .44 magnums and the only bullets I shoot in my 20" Puma...

I have dip and tumble lubed both the micro groove and standard lube groove bullets and have been pretty successful (shot a lot of Lyman 429421 and a 160 gr., .358" SWC from a Lachmiller mold both lubed w/45-45-10 and some with plain alox).

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-23-2015, 01:26 PM
Jester,
I got a pile of the 190gr's cast today. I got called back to work, starting tomorrow, I'm not sure when I'll get to the post office, monday will be a long one ...but I'll be sure to ship them sometime this week. Also, PM me your address.