PDA

View Full Version : Building a rifle , old way

Boaz
08-20-2015, 11:57 AM
I like to put this old video up every once in a while in case any new BP shooters would like to see old ways . If you don't like history it will bore you .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lui6uNPcRPA

rking22
08-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Just the "fix" I needed, thanks for posting. If that is the video I think it is, Gary Brumfield was on the hammer and wound up with the gun, It hung on the wall at the gunshop at Williamsburg untill Gary retired as master and he freshed it out and took it home. I got to shoot it several years ago in Bowling Green and is a most memorable experience. It was a rare experience to be able to shoot a totally hand built rifle, especially for one who thinks that was the peak of rifle development :)

Boaz
08-20-2015, 06:09 PM
I also have a lot of respect for the history and men that built these rifles , I find it very interesting . Really neat that you knew the man and shot this one !

duckey
08-20-2015, 08:04 PM
Shut the front door! Man what a good watch that was. It's only fitting that I live about 5 min from Colonial Williamsburg. That young craftsman makes it look so easy! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

aarolar
08-20-2015, 10:07 PM
That was awesome you kept me up way past my bedtime but it was well worth it.

M-Tecs
08-20-2015, 10:43 PM
First watched it on TV in the 70's. I re-watch it every couple of years. There was another one on the gunsmith of Colonial Williamsburg in the late 70's or early 80's that was excellent. I haven't found a copy of that one.

shaune509
08-20-2015, 11:03 PM
Metal shop teacher friend loaned me the VHS of that in the '80s great info.
Shaune509

MBTcustom
08-20-2015, 11:09 PM
Fantastic.

Fly
08-20-2015, 11:55 PM
Guys being a retired tool & die maker, if you don't think I respect those guys & what they did with what they
had to work with, no one could. I guess that's what draws me to this hobby. Every time I pick a reproduction
I look at it & think about how it was machined in the day, and how they did this & that.

Ya Bob thank you for posting that. Fly

Mytmousemalibu
08-21-2015, 12:44 AM
Thanks for posting, this is scratching an itch for me right now! I'm very close to sending off for a rock-lock kit!

retread
08-21-2015, 01:16 AM
Thanks Boaz. What talent! Makes me feel like a piker. Makes me appreciate the old guns even more.

dromia
08-21-2015, 02:21 AM
Have had it on my computer for years now and watch it regularly, in fact I just watched it the night before last, truly poetry in motion.

Boaz
08-21-2015, 06:21 AM
LOL , I clicked on it a second ago and started watching it again . It should be a sticky on the forum . Got a lot of historical information in it .

Blackwater
08-21-2015, 07:14 AM
Amen on the sticky, and thanks here too, Boaz. If any of you don't have Dillin's book from the NRA's Firearms Classics Library, you really need it if you love those old flint and caplock rifles. If there's ever been a more beautiful rifle made, I don't know of it. And to think that those old timers had so little metal to work with makes it even more amazing. When I read Dillin's book the first time, it surprised me that their rifling fixtures and most everything else was made with wood, mostly. They had to know what woods to use to get the absolute minimum in variation due to expansion/contraction, and so much more. Amazing craftsmen, amazing products. The other thing that impressed me was some of their long range targets from the period. Things like 3" groups at 200 yds.! I hadn't known that was even possible! The more one learns of what they did, and how they did it all, it just becomes ever more amazing. Truly great craftsmen, and wonderful products!

TheGrimReaper
08-21-2015, 09:53 AM
Too cool!!! So neat!