PDA

View Full Version : Lee 4-20 pot

Hankster1962
08-19-2015, 10:55 PM
I have been casting for about 30 years, starting out with a Lee 10 pounder, that I still use for casting round balls for my cap and ball revolvers, using pure lead.
I purchased a Lee 20 pounder, the year they came out with them. With it I cast everything else. I have literally melted tons of lead over the years with this old pot. The only beef I have with it is the leaking. Not a big deal. I have to say it has served me well, and I continue to this day to use it.
I have always hated the pouring control system, and am considering changing it to a Lyman-RCBS type of pouring control handle. I remember seeing some conversions somewhere in this forum, but cannot locate again.
I am interested in knowing if anyone else has done this and if so, how it worked out for them. I am also looking for ideas, pictures etc. How about buying the parts I need from Lyman or RCBS and fitting them to the Lee pot. Need ideas and help. Thanks,

lobowolf761
08-19-2015, 10:58 PM
Instead modifying it might just be better to buy a new one exactly the way you want.

Petrol & Powder
08-19-2015, 11:12 PM
Instead modifying it might just be better to buy a new one exactly the way you want.

I have to agree. I have a Lee 4-20 and it works but if I could justify the cost of an RCBS Pro-melt I would buy one. I'll probably buy one some day even if I can't justify the cost :wink:!
By the time you spend the time, effort and money to modify the Lee pot to be like the RCBS pot;.....you could just buy a RCBS pot.

Now, to be fair, I purchased the Lee because it was inexpensive, I could add it to an existing order and save on shipping and it is adequate for my needs. It is somewhat of a drip-O-matic but for the money and my needs it is fine. There are Lots of modifications for that bottom pour pot and this is the forum to find what works and what doesn't. I've addressed some issues and I'm happy with it for now. I'm certain that I will not put a lot of money into it and hopefully I'll be able to relegate it to stand-by status someday.

lobowolf761
08-19-2015, 11:17 PM
I have 2 10pounders and they both leak from time to time so I keep a screwdriver handy to adjust the rod a bit to stop the leak. I have noticed they will leak if I'm running the temp too high.

dragonrider
08-20-2015, 12:06 AM
I did some work on mine and it controlled the drip quite well. It ain't tough to do, a little welding, a little milling. If you are not set up for such work you should be able to find someone who is, doesn't take long at all.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/pot%20ubgrades/pot%20upgrades%2014_zps3lq0nivt.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/PaulGauthier/media/pot%20ubgrades/pot%20upgrades%2014_zps3lq0nivt.jpg.html)

MT Chambers
08-20-2015, 12:11 AM
Stacking one drip-o-matic over another one should help with the dripping problem, good improvisation!

dragonrider
08-20-2015, 01:20 AM
You are right but the ten pounder does not leak, the 20 pounder did. The ten lb'er is there to refill the 20, when it gets half empty. I never let my pot get below half.

dikman
08-20-2015, 03:45 AM
Hankster, sorry I didn't see this post, I haven't been here a while since I got started on Single Action shooting and learning about leatherwork (making holsters and gunbelts). I think you may have found the photos I posted a while ago about the mods you're referring to? Dragonrider's mods are pretty simple (with a bit of work you could do it without a vertical mill), I just didn't want to weld on mine so I used the existing screw mounting holes. Nice to see someone else has done it.
I also heartily recommend making (or buying) a shelf kit, it's just so much better than the stock support.

As for the "value" in carrying out such mods, in the US it's possibly not worth the effort, as the RCBS is pretty reasonably priced there, but here it has an exorbitant price tag!!!