PDA

View Full Version : Gunstock???

hpdrifter
08-19-2015, 07:39 PM
I just recently purchased a pre-inlet gunstock from Gunstocks Inc. It was meant for a Savage 311.

I received the stock and did a trial fitment:147060147061

Can you see them alright?
Can you see about .050" of gap between tang and mortise?

You're looking at the top of the tang with butstock slid all the way forward to the receiver with a light under it to show the gap.
I did some figuring and determined I'd have to remove over an inch of the front of the stock to make it fit, then the lines of the stock would be ruined.

This is what they trial fitted it to when I sent it back. Sorry, but that is not a 311, at least it's not like my 311's.
Looks like a Fox model of some sort. Yes, I know the Fox is a upgraded Savage, but are they exactly alike?

They showed it fitting rather well, but it did not fit mine like this147064

What say ye?

They said they just trimmed the projections on the front of the stock to go deeper into the receiver. Had I done this I couldn't have returned it.
It was only about a 16th from the receiver as it was.

Looks to me like their receiver tang is quite a bit bigger than mine.

They did refund part of my money, but I'm out ~$40 for "restocking fees" and shipping.

Myself, I wouldn't recommend doing business with them, at least for a 311 stock.

Pinsnscrews
08-27-2015, 09:54 AM
I may have always been wrongly under the impression that was a problem with the pre-savage Stevens line of firearms, lack of consistant machining. I know for myself, when buying a stock for a vintage shotgun, I am going to expect to need to do some fitting work. "I" basically understand that once I buy the stock, as long as it generally fits, it is mine. Generally fits as in I order a side by side shotgun stock and don't get a bolt action stock.

hpdrifter
08-27-2015, 08:04 PM
I had expected some fitting work. I've built a few muzzleloading rifles; a few from kits and a couple from parts and wood.

It is my expectation that the error should be in "undersized". It's hard to replace wood once it's gone.

I can do some inletting; not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I can do it to a reasonable degree.

nekshot
08-27-2015, 10:02 PM
Glad to know of their ethics, because thats flat out wrong.If a variation does exist then they need to work to the smallest action. That reciever they are using is the first decent profile looking sav 311 I ever saw!