PDA

View Full Version : Three-Barrel Gun (Hardware Dealers' Magazine, June 1908)

ohland
08-19-2015, 09:14 AM
https://books.google.com/books?id=ANxNAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA1231&dq=%22Three-barrel+Gun%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CFMQ6AEwB2oVChMIgsCTi5q1xwIV0EmSCh3xhQKS#v=on epage&q=%22Three-barrel%20Gun%22&f=false

Hardware Dealers' Magazine, Volume 29, No. 174, June 1908, page 1231

The Three-Barrel Gun Co., Moundsville, W. Va., are manufacturers of the Three Barrel Gun, illustrated. It is a combination of a double-barrel hammerless shotgun and a rifle, combined in such a manner as not to impair the beautiful outline nor add practically any extra weight. The Gun comes in several grades, all made from high grade material and carefully finished by hand. The Guns weigh from 6 1/2 to 7 3/4 pounds, no more than the regular double guns. The rifle barrels are made from special high grade nickel steel, having a tensile strength of over 110,000 pounds to the square inch, and an elastic limit of over 100,000 pounds. The lug is 7/8-inch wide constructed of tool steel which reinforces the barrel at the point where the explosion occurs. The rifle barrel will be found to be accurate and the shot barrels close, hard shooters, with great penetration. The makers state that by using the highest grade of steel in all parts of the Gun they are able to keep the weight down. But few parts are used in the mechanism. These Guns are made to handle all standard loads of smokeless or black powder and are chambered for the standard length shells and cartridges. The rifle barrels will shoot the full jacketed, soft nose or tempered lead bullets.

12, 16 and 20 gauge, 28" barrels, choked in F/M/Cyl, "especially for buckshot" (?), barrels in Krupp Fluid, Damascus, or Crescent Steel. Matted rib, pistol grip and forend checkered, imported walnut.

25-20, 30-30, 32-40 (two further chamberings unknown). Later ads say range of chamberings, no specifics.

I see mention of a "Royal Three Barrel Gun Company" circa March 1913.???

Defunct by 1928?

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=30390#Post30390

"Hollenbeck/Three-Barrel/Royal Gun Companies

Hollenbeck Gun Co. 1901-early 1905
Three-Barrel Gun Co. Late 1905-early 1908
Royal Gun Co. 1909-May 1910

The shot barrels were offered in 12-, 16-, 20-, and 28-gauge (only Hollenbeck Gun Co.), with the rifle barrel at various times in .22 WCF, 25-20 Win., 25-20 SS, 25-25 Stevens, 30 WCF, 32-20 Win., 32 Ideal, and 32-40. It appears to me that 25-25 Stevens and 32-40 were by far the most common calibers.

One often sees guns marked Three-Barrel Gun Company on the barrels with a Hollenbeck Butt Plate, or marked Royal Gun Company on the barrels with a Three-Barrel Gun Company Butt Plate. One also sees quite a few of these guns unmarked in any way except for the serial number and the patent date, which were probably taken by workers in-lieu-of pay. "Patd FEB 13, 1900" which was Frank A. Hollenbecks patent number 643,601 which covered the bolting, and was also used on the Baltimore Arms Company double guns. Frank A. Hollenbeck's Patent # 753,492 granted Mar. 1, 1904 covered the locks and cocking mechanism, though I've never seen this date stamped on one of the guns. All three companies also offered
doubles, and the latter two offered a single barrel trap gun of Lefever design.

My two-part article on these companies was in The Double Gun Journal, Volume Thirteen, Issues 2 and 3. There was an article on a very interesting one of these guns fitted with a Miller single trigger in the Arms Gazette for September 1978, and one in The American Rifleman for June 1964.

These were not the only American drillings. William H. Baker and his partner Lyman C. Smith made three-barrel guns in Lisle and later Syracuse, New York in the late 1870s/early 1880s. Frank Hollenbeck worked for them part of that time. "

Bent Ramrod
08-19-2015, 11:14 AM
I saw one of those at the Pomona Gun Show 20 or so years back. The only Three-Barrel Gun Co. gun I've ever seen outside of books. It was a 12 gauge double with a .44-40 rifle barrel underneath. I was tempted, but the price was a little beyond my means.

What interested me was the fact that the company name actually described what the company made. Now it's all synthetic designators like "WaMu" or vague nondescriptors that endeavor to sound impressive, like "United Technologies."

I shoulda bought it! (*Sob!*)

Scharfschuetze
08-20-2015, 08:39 PM
I've seen several drillings in Austria and Germany. I'd love to have one someday, if only for fun, but getting one from there to here after a private purchase is probably a bridge too far.