PDA

View Full Version : Felin Lube Questions we all want answers to

mugsie
03-31-2008, 06:50 AM
I made a batch of Felix lube this weekend. I have the following questions:
1) what is the purpose of the mineral oil?
2) what is the purpose of the castor oil?
3) why do I stir it for 1/2 hour?

I followed the instructions exactly (although measuring 1 tablespoon of shreaded ivory soap is near impossible) and when it was over what I had resembled reconstituted beeswax. Slightly different color but it seemed the same?

Why the elaborate preperation? Tradition? Punishment? I hope it's not like the woman who cut and end off of the roast then placed it in the pan? When her daughter asked why she did that she said she didn't know but her mother taught it to her. Let's ask grandma she said. So they asked Grandma and she had the same response, so they asked Great Grandma. Great Grandma said "oh, it's because my pan was too small"! Tradition.

So anyone have any ideas as to why?

Thanks....

DLCTEX
03-31-2008, 08:24 AM
The extended stirring at high heat is to polymerize the oils into the mix so that it does not separate into layers upon cooling. These oils were selected for their resistence to burning at high temps of firing, no sense adding carbon to the mess you already have, and their lubricating qualities. Maybe Felix will respond once again for the uninitiated. Rest assured that this board would have let us know long ago if Felix lube didn''t work or if the cooking time was unnecessary. When done correctly, it flat works. DALE

Newtire
03-31-2008, 08:42 AM
This is the sticky thread under the topic "classics & stickies" This tells the many tales about Felix Lube. I made 2-batches so far and I can tell you, it's the equal of anything I've tried yet as far as being a lube that won't let lead stick to your bore.

I hear you on the ingredients of some things being a little vague in some ingredient lists but this one is pretty clear cut. At least you don't find ingredients like "flower of Newt's breath" & such.

Here is the link....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17548&highlight=oil+carrier