PDA

View Full Version : Finally! A new, "hot" musket cap!!!

Southron
08-15-2015, 06:33 PM
It used to be that CCI made a decent "Hot" 6 Wing Musket Cap until a Re-enactor, using them had one of the CCI caps "Frag"(most likely because his nipple was worn out and battered) during a mock battle. Worse yet, the Re-enactor was not wearing any eye protection and lost an eye.

[Absolute Rule of Life...ALWAYS wear eye protection when shooting any muzzlel;oader.]

Even though it was the re-enactor's fault, he did find a sleazy lawyer who sued CCI.

The net result was that CCI took their "Hot" 6 Wing Percussion Caps out of production.

CCI then came out with their new "Re-enactor Musket Caps" that were so weak as to be almost worthless.

This has left shooters, especially Carbine Shooters that use original and replica Civil War carbines in a quandary because those carbines have a long and convoluted flash channels. So, a "Hot" Musket Cap is required for those carbines.

Of course, the "replica" black powders have a higher ignition point and hence, a "Hot" musket cap (like the Schutzen Musket cap is) definitely an advantage to prevent mis-fires. This is especially true for muzzleloading hunters, who often get only one shot at a deer. A mis-fire under those circumstances can be especially frustrating.

Anyway, Back Creek Gun Shop now has the new Schutzen 4 Wing Musket Caps IN STOCK NOW at $70.00 Per M with a minimum order of 2,000. They don't even have them listed on their website yet, but they do have them in stock:

http://www.blackpowderva.com/

http://www.schuetzenpowder.com/4minuswing-musket-caps

bob208
08-15-2015, 07:05 PM
glad to hear this. I have always used rws caps with no problems. if I ever run out I now have another choice if I can't get rws. the price has really gone up. years ago at the navy arms warehouse in wv. rws caps were $20 thousand. I bought 10,000 sold half which knocked mine down to $15 a thousand. still working on them.

Nobade
08-15-2015, 10:43 PM
This is good to hear! My Sharps will be much more enjoyable and I can stop having to make my own caps. Thanks for the heads up.

-Nobade

ndnchf
08-17-2015, 09:11 PM
How do these Schutzen caps compare to the RWS caps in strength?

StrawHat
08-18-2015, 07:27 AM
If the Kindigs can get them, I will get some for my Burnside.

Kevin