PDA

View Full Version : It's funny how I don't have much to say lately.........

WILCO
08-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Find myself typing a reply, then figure what the heck and delete it.
My OP was longer, but it happened again........

Ithaca Gunner
08-15-2015, 06:37 PM
happens to me all the time...

Love Life
08-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Maybe a poll?

fryboy
08-15-2015, 06:45 PM
just lately ? it's been that way for me every since i got on the internet .....

gray wolf
08-15-2015, 07:06 PM
OK, me to, so what is it ?
Good post, maybe we can come up with some good answers.

I have an inkling of what it is for me but not saying yet,
However I do know when the feeling started.

bdicki
08-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Taking too much time to think. I almost deleted this one.

waksupi
08-15-2015, 08:04 PM
No idea how to turn on the purple font.

It's probably because we know everything, and unless someone asks directly, we figure, why bother?

Turn off purple font.

Skunk1
08-15-2015, 09:33 PM
Read more/delete less.

runfiverun
08-15-2015, 10:29 PM
use the text color where the big thick A ^^^ right thereish is, in the reply box.

woody1
08-15-2015, 10:45 PM
I guess from my post count when I don't have much to say.............................I don't!

therealhitman
08-15-2015, 11:17 PM
Well, I... oh never mind.

retread
08-15-2015, 11:24 PM
Really Wilco, really?

waksupi
08-16-2015, 01:29 AM
Lamar, that "A" don't do nothin' for me for some reason.

By the way, how is Dawnikins getting along?

Artful
08-16-2015, 02:02 AM
Sometimes you just don't...

waksupi
08-16-2015, 02:09 AM
Okay, found it. I was going ALLLL the way to the left for the "A". Although I was also torn between the violet and the plum for colors.

TXGunNut
08-16-2015, 02:25 AM
Sometimes it's just better to read and possibly offer words of encouragement...or toddle off to the loading room.

William Yanda
08-16-2015, 07:56 AM
Maybe a poll?

Or someone has said it already

Smoke4320
08-16-2015, 08:01 AM
I heard Doe Run was closing and we could not get any more lead :bigsmyl2:
The stress of I it all...I can't think to write:bigsmyl2:

Hickok
08-16-2015, 08:41 AM
Writer's block???.......gonna' type more, but I just went blank!

MrWolf
08-16-2015, 08:56 AM
Was gonna reply but figured... Nevermind, it would not have added to the depth of the conversation :bigsmyl2:

Freightman
08-16-2015, 09:15 AM
Hummm

TXGunNut
08-16-2015, 09:16 AM
Sometimes it's just better to read and possibly offer words of encouragement...or toddle off to the loading room.

cajun shooter
08-16-2015, 09:31 AM
I think as far as mine goes, it's a change in the membership. Now before you start throwing stones, please allow me to explain that analogy.
When I stopped lurking which started in or about 2005 or so and I felt my very poor typing skills could at least convey part of a statement that was worthy of this group of men that knew more than I'd ever seen in one place. I started loading in 1969 with a Lee Loader in 38 spl. and casting in 1970-71.
I was employed by a gun store that my wife pushed me to take as she had grown weary of my very meager construction checks that came during the rainy season in Louisiana. She said that yes you will make a lot less money but we will at least know how much we have each week.
I told her that I don't know if I could take being inside and not breathing that good ole outside air. She kept pushing and I went to work. The wages that I started at were meager at best but my loading and casting knowledge was improving by leaps and bounds.
I love people and exchanging information and we had a special group of guys that had tons of it from their many years of real OJT. Some were real characters and others were true Gems like Dr. Jones who could do the best engraving I'd ever had the pleasure of seeing. Mr. Tommy as every one called him, who did all of our stock work. The names of many others are not in my older mind but each one has a special place in memory. I could not wait to see them and discuss things with.
When I started on these pages, I felt like I had in some way become a little like one of those very good people and could share my knowledge just as they did. I did and it worked very well until we started getting an expansion of the membership that changed by the questions that were asked, not once but many times. The process was the same each time a new person signed on, not all of them by no means as we have had some very good ones come in.
But to me it seemed that a large percentage decided the way to learn was to sign in and then ask, which mold is the best, which pot or furnace should I buy, what alloy is the best, what temperature should I cast at, What is wrong with Lee product, Why is my Lee pot dripping and so on. I decided at first that I would be like the guys who were my mentors and give very detailed answers each time these were requested. Over time I developed a burn out like feeling. I directed tons of them to the sticky section and then after it was posted to our site, The very fine and invaluable book "FROM INGOT TO TARGET". What a piece of material to have at ones fingertips.
Then something that was not believable by me was that these very same persons would sign in and ask a question that was fully covered by those pages. What in the hell is going on, I said to myself. The effect that it took on me was exactly the very first and short words stated by the OP. I started and deleted two answers just yesterday and I thought, maybe I'm becoming a old curmudgeon. At least I know that they have others in this boat, Thank God for that. Later David

RED333
08-16-2015, 10:50 AM
I just use what my Mom told me.
"If you got something good to say, say it. If not, keep your mouth shut"

runfiverun
08-16-2015, 12:47 PM
the board is here for you guy's to discuss what matters to you, if you wanna see a discussion on something more like C.O.G., or rotational distress, or alloy manipulation.
start one up.
there has to be an area of casting you have been working on that is of interest to you.
yeah some of the 'old guy's' are gone, guess what?
your the 'old guy' now....

GOPHER SLAYER
08-16-2015, 01:54 PM
I have been around since FDR was president. I have been reloading since IKE had the job. I have accumulated a great deal of knowledge about politics, guns, reloading, history and people. Some times I reply to a post and someone wants to disagree with me. I am too tired to argue, or is it that I just don't care anymore?

runfiverun
08-16-2015, 02:03 PM
knowledge/opinions vary because of past results.
discussion is healthy if it's done in an open environment and it is kept on topic.
there is an opportunity to learn or teach from those discussions.

Wolfer
08-16-2015, 02:48 PM
I've had the same problem as the OP lately. While planning to throw my 2 cents in by the time I read thru to the bottom I realized it had already been said.
While I have nothing to add I'm going to leave it up anyway![smilie=s:

mold maker
08-16-2015, 04:55 PM
Shucks. I done forgot what I was thinking. Somebody probably already said it though, or deleted it.

Finster101
08-16-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm trying to use that old saying, "if you can't say anything nice" you guys know the rest of it.

JeffinNZ
08-17-2015, 04:58 AM
It was bound to happen one day Wilco.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool............

minmax
08-17-2015, 06:16 AM
"if you can't say anything nice" I learned that one from Bambi. :|

DR Owl Creek
08-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Find myself typing a reply, then figure what the heck and delete it.
My OP was longer, but it happened again........

Me too...

waynem34
08-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Hey I finally found it too! Thanks

Minerat
08-17-2015, 07:45 PM
Yuuup!

Smoke4320
08-18-2015, 10:55 AM
I think as far as mine goes, it's a change in the membership. Now before you start throwing stones, please allow me to explain that analogy.
When I stopped lurking which started in or about 2005 or so and I felt my very poor typing skills could at least convey part of a statement that was worthy of this group of men that knew more than I'd ever seen in one place. I started loading in 1969 with a Lee Loader in 38 spl. and casting in 1970-71.
I was employed by a gun store that my wife pushed me to take as she had grown weary of my very meager construction checks that came during the rainy season in Louisiana. She said that yes you will make a lot less money but we will at least know how much we have each week.
I told her that I don't know if I could take being inside and not breathing that good ole outside air. She kept pushing and I went to work. The wages that I started at were meager at best but my loading and casting knowledge was improving by leaps and bounds.
I love people and exchanging information and we had a special group of guys that had tons of it from their many years of real OJT. Some were real characters and others were true Gems like Dr. Jones who could do the best engraving I'd ever had the pleasure of seeing. Mr. Tommy as every one called him, who did all of our stock work. The names of many others are not in my older mind but each one has a special place in memory. I could not wait to see them and discuss things with.
When I started on these pages, I felt like I had in some way become a little like one of those very good people and could share my knowledge just as they did. I did and it worked very well until we started getting an expansion of the membership that changed by the questions that were asked, not once but many times. The process was the same each time a new person signed on, not all of them by no means as we have had some very good ones come in.
But to me it seemed that a large percentage decided the way to learn was to sign in and then ask, which mold is the best, which pot or furnace should I buy, what alloy is the best, what temperature should I cast at, What is wrong with Lee product, Why is my Lee pot dripping and so on. I decided at first that I would be like the guys who were my mentors and give very detailed answers each time these were requested. Over time I developed a burn out like feeling. I directed tons of them to the sticky section and then after it was posted to our site, The very fine and invaluable book "FROM INGOT TO TARGET". What a piece of material to have at ones fingertips.
Then something that was not believable by me was that these very same persons would sign in and ask a question that was fully covered by those pages. What in the hell is going on, I said to myself. The effect that it took on me was exactly the very first and short words stated by the OP. I started and deleted two answers just yesterday and I thought, maybe I'm becoming a old curmudgeon. At least I know that they have others in this boat, Thank God for that. Later David

yes its easy to get burnout answering the same questions over and over.
also have to remember Many of the newcomers have no idea where to start on this forum .. If you know where ingot to target is that's great but many don't and see deer in the headlights from all the info here (also some are the instant gratification type)
been reloading since 1977 .. Tried casting years ago .. did fairly well for a 58 cal muzzleloader.. when it came to 30 cal rds I sucked big time.. had nowhere to turn .. pre internet days and knew no one that cast..got tired of trying everyting I could think of and getting so so results .. Gave up and moved on..
started just about 2 years ago myself on this forum ..
I was one of those ask the newbe questions .. several people here gave me a gentle push in the right direction and I thank them greatly
Now I own about 30 molds, can cast very well .. know what to look for/try when things turn to the dark side :) and am a vendor sponsor ..
All that said try to think of the questions as a teaching moment .. and if you don't feel like it that day ..move on.. its ok we all have those days

bbailey7821
08-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Oh...Nevermind!

montana_charlie
08-18-2015, 02:02 PM
I don't write as much anymore, either.

Blackwater comments so often, and writes so many paragraphs in each post, I just figure he probably already said anything I might have wanted to pass on.

square butte
08-18-2015, 03:08 PM
Uh Huh - Yup

Artful
08-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Well the weather is cooling off - only 105 today.

Doggonekid
08-21-2015, 12:40 AM
I would like to add something that hasn't already be deleted but..........it's already too late.

cajun shooter
08-21-2015, 09:26 AM
I knew that if I stated my reasons for deleting that it would be picked up and picked at by those who have no idea of what I have done or said in the past. They use it as a place to point at and say David , you have this all wrong!!
Smoke, You have been here two years and I don't think that is enough time to tell me about the burnout that I feel at times.
I even printed out the entire book of From Ingot to Target and sent it to one new member who had no printer or at least he indicated that. I have given away free items to many members both new and old. I just finished giving away free samples of BP lube for all members to try.
I'm not patting myself on the back by no means as others on this great forum have contributed much more than I ever will.
My opening statement contained the sentence that said we have both bad and some really good newer members. I would never put down on anyone but was only being open and honest about certain feelings that I now have.
I'm sorry that you did not take the time to see and review my older postings.
I'm beginning to feel that I should of hit delete on my OP rather than post reply. Later David

walltube
08-21-2015, 03:51 PM
David,
aka cajun shooter,

Should I skip over your posts on first scan of any thread to which you have you made a contribution, I will surely return to read it in its entirety. I may have missed a few, 'cause sometimes a particular thread title held no interest for me.

May I say I am familiar with a bit of your history by way of Cast Boolits? You have had some serious health problems in times past, but yet continued writing what you thought would be of benefit to the membership. Your efforts did not go un-noticed or un-appreciated.

Cast Boolits. A good place to vent, or, have something, anything (within reason and without obscenity) to opine or complain over most 'anything'. ;>)

Dave, wishing you better times and health,
Be of good cheer,
Wt.

PS: Thanking those members choosing to read my post I will say, rarely, do I ever ignore any members post. I ignore the "Ignore" option.

Ola
08-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Maybe you should do as I have done? When I feel even a little bit "burn out" or just get fed up, I leave for 6 months or a year. I shoot and actually talk to people.. It's quite refreshing.

When I come back there is always something new and interesting going on. Like the PC-thing that emerged during one of those breaks.

Of course the breaks keep the post count down but for me that is OK.

OBIII
09-08-2015, 02:30 PM
What was the original question?

OB
: )

starmac
09-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Does anybody else find it odd that a thread talking about not haveing anything to say gets 3 pages of responses, and no I haven't read them. lol

ozarkhillbilly49
09-10-2015, 02:53 AM
i find i learn a lot more reading than i do typing!!!!