PDA

View Full Version : Places near Jacksonville NC to stop

Boolit_Head
08-15-2015, 10:46 AM
Well my first grandson in on the way so I'll be driving out to NC from Texas in the next few days. Any place I ought to stop along the way for powder or lead?

Riverpigusmc
08-15-2015, 06:47 PM
Well, I don't know about powder and lead, but if you want to get in trouble in Jacksonville, try Court Street :)

Love Life
08-15-2015, 06:53 PM
La Mirage and Driftwood!! Oh, and make sure you stay at the Triangle Motor Inn!!

For reloading supplies: http://flatwoodsguns.com/

Last time I was there they had a whole building dedicated to reloading both smokeless and black powder.

Boolit_Head
08-16-2015, 12:43 AM
Looks like Court street fizzled out and is a pretty seedy area now.

I'll definitely have to get out to Flatwoods. Driving from Texas to NC so anything in between would make a good idea for a place to stop? Tempted to stop by the CMP store in Anniston, Alabama but I would get in to much trouble there. It would be tough to walk out without a M1.

DougGuy
08-16-2015, 01:25 AM
You'd be better off bringing some salt water fishing tackle and not worrying over finding powder and boolits.

Boolit_Head
08-16-2015, 01:38 AM
Going to be there about two weeks and might get up into Virginia for a weekend. Fishing is not really my thing, no patience.

pmeisel
08-16-2015, 02:55 PM
There's a really good lunch spot in Smead's Ferry which is not too far.

Love Life
08-16-2015, 03:00 PM
Ricks?

The crab pot and the Thai Grill are good places to eat, but are in Surf City. Not far from J-Vegas at all. Be sure to say HI! to the Jacksonville ninja.

Riverpigusmc
08-16-2015, 04:45 PM
Ricks?

The crab pot and the Thai Grill are good places to eat, but are in Surf City. Not far from J-Vegas at all. Be sure to say HI! to the Jacksonville ninja.

If the ninja is who I think it is, he was in our STA platoon, usually in trouble. Wouldn't shock me if he stuck around after discharge

Love Life
08-16-2015, 04:47 PM
The ninja does Karate on Western Blvd across from the Walmart.

nagantguy
08-16-2015, 04:55 PM
If court street fizzled it's been a while, been seedy for a long time. Haven't been to Jacksonville in about 12 years but I do remember er the golden corral there being the best cleanest nicest staff of just about anyplace I've ever been! Wasn't much in the way of reloading gear that I remember but the pawn shops were full of guns and tool with decent prices, still own several examples. If you are there on a none military pay week, Marines always have guns for sale, still own several of those as well.

Boolit_Head
08-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Hadn't thought about the pawn shops but I usually do try a crawl through them occasionally for deals.

Hmmm I think the Jacksonville Ninja has a cousin near here. We have a guy who boxes at a street corner.

Love Life
08-16-2015, 05:03 PM
You can find some serious good deals at the pawn shops in Jacksonville. Most military towns have really good pawn shops!!

RP
08-16-2015, 10:13 PM
You should pass threw Goldsboro on the way if you travel down hwy 70. Spot in town called 4 seasons it is on ash st not very hard to find off the highway. They have several powders and primers on the shelf. Prices are not super great but they have them. There is also a pawn shop on 70 near Newport not much there but I did find some 22 over 410s I been looking. The rest of them really do not offer much from what I have seen. But you may get lucky. Oh they are closed on Sundays and Mondays.

1johnlb
08-16-2015, 10:54 PM
As said, Flatwoods, in Hubert 10 minutes east, gunship, reloading supplies, shooting range and after the range the last boolit hole bar under the shop.

Eastern outfitters is another one, not alloy of reloading stuff but some how always seem to have the best deals on primers.

There's another indoor range but the name eludes me at the moment.

Then there's the little gun show that always seems to be on pay week.

If you like the beach and seafood there's plenty close by.