PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Granbury/Pecan Plantation, TX

flyer1
08-13-2015, 08:35 PM
Can ya'll tell me about Pecan Plantation/Ganbury, TX. The better half and I plan to retire down there next summer. We are looking very hard at Pecan Plantation because of the two airparks in it. We have a little one that will be starting school (kindergarden) that fall. We have been down there for visits. Visiting is different than living in an area. We liked what we saw at the schools and the area. What else should we know? Any insights? The good,the bad and the ugly? Thanks very much. Areas to shoot? Eats? Shopping? Entertainment? Crime? Traffic?

Mike

twc1964
08-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Heck, i grew up in granbury and its a decent town. Pecan plantation is and has always been a nice place. One thing i heard was that when you buy a lot or home in there, you must pay a club usage fee of a few grand right off the bat. Ive known many folks that lived there and most liked it well enuff. I believe there is an h.o.a there and by laws and restrictions on building on a lot. Depends on what you are looking for but it always seemed nice if not a touch snooty. Ymmv.

flyer1
08-14-2015, 10:10 AM
twc1964 Thanks for the reply. Any good places to shoot? You pretty much hit the nail on the head on Pecan Plantation with the HOA. We have looked at the rules and think we can live with the by laws ok.

Fishman
08-14-2015, 11:52 AM
The lake is nice when it is full. The drought of the last few years has been taking its toll. Before the rains this year it was down a lot and most people's boat houses were high and dry. Add in the golden algae fish kills every few years and the fishing can be tough some years.

Babe's Chicken Dinner House (I think that's what it's called) is a good family set down joint.

flyer1
08-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Thanks Fishman. Was thinking about doing a little fishing in retirement. Good to know. Hows the fishing in the Brazos River south of Lake Granbury?

twc1964
08-14-2015, 01:41 PM
As far as shooting goes, i used to go to some friends property out of town and blast away. As far as ranges, i just dont know. I havent spent much time there in the last several years and its really grown in that time. Used to be an outdoor range out near glenrose, i guess its still there. Thats about a 45minute drive from pecan though.

Fishman
08-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Fishing on the brazos can be really good, but access is always an issue. Mainly black bass and catfish, but panfish can be good too.

The outdoor range just south of Glen rose is still there, along with a small gunshop. Not much action there though from what I've seen.

flyer1
08-14-2015, 08:55 PM
fishman thanks very much for the info. This is all great to know. twc1964 thanks for your info. Its always good to hear from folks in the area.

NavyVet1959
08-14-2015, 08:58 PM
The problem with HOA is that they can change the rules any time they want. They aren't called HOA Nazis for nothing. The best HOA is one in which their are no association dues -- that way, the don't have any funds that they can use to harass people with.

Fishman
08-15-2015, 11:51 PM
One other thing. There is a decent population of stripers in the lake as well as in Lake Whitney downstream. When flows are good in the spring, they run up the Brazos and can be caught in the area you are asking about. It's not consistent though.

Fishman
08-15-2015, 11:53 PM
One other tidbit, Bond Arms is headquartered in Granbury. Don't know if they make them there, but I've always wanted to check it out.

AKtinman
08-16-2015, 08:25 PM
If you get anywhere near Glen Rose, it is well worth a stop by the pie shop:

http://piepeddlers.com/

flyer1
08-16-2015, 09:36 PM
fishman thanks for the info. bond arms doesnt do tours is what i am told. to bad i think it would be interesting.

aktinman, i will check out the pies.

twc1964
08-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Oh, theres several areas inside of pecan where you can walk a ways and be behind the spillway of the dam. I have caught many stringers full of sandies and stripers ith the occasional wiper thrown in for good measure. When friends of mine would be working construction in there, i would be able to go in with them and walk into the fishin hole. Lots of fond memories around that lake for me.

flyer1
08-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Thanks a lot for the tip.

Riverpigusmc
08-18-2015, 10:13 PM
Went to Glen Rose and looked at the dinosaur tracks in the river. Pretty cool

flyer1
08-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Went to Glen Rose and looked at the dinosaur tracks in the river. Pretty cool
i did not know about that. I will have to have a look. Thanks!

Fishman
08-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Dinosaur Valley State Park is near Glen Rose on the Paluxy River.

flyer1
08-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Fishman thanks. We will plan a trip. It sounds like fun.