PDA

View Full Version : monitor scratches

xs11jack
08-11-2015, 11:44 AM
I am getting tired of the scratches on my screen and was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of them. I was thinking of something in the automotive line such as the stuff they use to buff out headlights or just some of the polish used on car paint.
Ole Jack

bangerjim
08-11-2015, 12:02 PM
If plastic, a polish will possible work. Your monitor face is probably glass? Not much to do there but live with it. Best thing is to figure out what caused the scratches and do not do that again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naphtali
08-11-2015, 12:02 PM
On plastic and glass wrist watch crystals Tulio V. Poli, a watchmaker, told me to use toothpaste (a very mild abrasive) and a cloth or handkerchief. after rinsing, crystals appear to be clear. On glass the procedure takes time.

Hope this helps.

xs11jack
08-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Yea, I have heard about the toothpaste stuff, I might try that. The face of the monitor is plastic. It was scratched by another member of the family with one of those duster that are plastic soft needle like that are held together by a twisted wire core, the end of which sticks out a bit. this part was the culprit and the scratches were not notice until several were made. When the background is quite bright, the scratches are not very noticeable, but under medium and low background light they diminish the picture quality.
Ole Jack

runfiverun
08-11-2015, 03:20 PM
you can't eliminate the scratches unless you fill them in.
If I touch my screen it makes a little interruption there [LCD screen] watch for that.

but you might find the old lense repair stuff they used to sell for fixing kids glasses. [Lens Doctor?]
you wiped it on and it dried clear.

Smoke4320
08-11-2015, 03:24 PM
+1 if you can find the lens doctor .. If an LCD screen be very careful .. Push too much and you will need a new monitor

Boolit_Head
08-11-2015, 04:13 PM
If it is a LCD there is not much you can do. If you polish it you will have a glare issue.

MaryB
08-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Yup LCD screens are anti-glare usually, polish it and that is gone.

osteodoc08
08-12-2015, 03:59 PM
I've used Meguiars Plasti-X to buff out any hard plastic. I've used it on DVDs as well. Haven't tried on Blu-ray Discs yet.

bangerjim
08-12-2015, 04:27 PM
yes......you will probably NOT be able to polish a non-glare plastic front LCD screen. It will end up a glare mess.

Can you say......time to buy a new monitor? And keep the people away from it that scratched that one!!!!!!!! No one should EVER have ANY reason to touch and poke at an LCD monitor!!!! If anyone in my office touches their screen, they could pull back a bloody stump.

banger