PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use filler in the .38-55?

Wardo1974
08-11-2015, 07:04 AM
I have been reading recently about how partially filled cases can become much more accurate if a filler is used when reloading.

Various suggestions included cream of wheat, cornmeal, or Dacron.

I was reading a few days ago an article written by Mike Venturino, who turned a .40-82 making 24" groups at 100 yards into one making 4" groups, and all he did was fill his cases to the brim with cornmeal over his charge.

My favourite rifle is my .38-55. I use between 30-32 grains of either 3031 or Reloder 7 beneath a 260 grain boolit. Questions:

1.) These cases aren't quite filled with powder, but they aren't filled to the brim either. Is there any value in my using a filler?

2.) I read accounts of cream of wheat hardening inside the case over time to a brick-like consistency, which would obviously create problems. Has anyone seen that?

3.) The idea of Dacron seems neat and tidy, but i have read numerous accounts of guys "ringing" their chambers or other scary things if they used it wrong. Any feedback on this?

Advice is appreciated.

lotech
08-11-2015, 08:47 AM
No fillers are needed for the .38-55. I'm not negating the possibility, but I would be a bit suspicious of the "24-inch group shrinking to 4"-inches simply by the use of a filler. There may be more to the story.

runfiverun
08-11-2015, 03:42 PM
there is more to the story.

fillers have their place and time and cautions.

if your 38-55 is shooting round groups but larger than you think the rifle is capable of a filler isn't for you.
if the rifle is stringing shots and it doesn't normally do that a filler [or primer change] could fix your problem.
COW isn't really a filler as such it does other things like act as a gas check and acts as a plug to cushion the boolits base.

rbertalotto
08-11-2015, 07:55 PM
I have half a dozen 38-55 rifles....every single one of them shoot a 250-265g bullet on top of 9g of Unique with a 3/4" X 3/4" piece of single ply toilet paper to hold the powder against the primer. I've won a few 200 yard cowboy shoots with this load in a few of the rifles. A super accurate load with 22Magnum recoil.

It's hard to belive this little powder in such a large case would be anywhere near accurate. I've tried dozens of various loads and nothing compares.