PDA

View Full Version : Soft nose ladle.

44man
08-09-2015, 12:15 PM
I could not find my cast iron chunks so went with brass. Should sure be better then the cartridge case for holding heat.
I lock handles with a rubber band and set on a wood fixture to hold level, pour the nose and right away pour the rest with harder lead.
I hope it works but can change to steel if lead sticks. 146280

s mac
08-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Looks nice. So, do you pour the whole ladle full for one soft nose, uniformity for all that you cast?

44man
08-09-2015, 06:01 PM
A ladle in each hand, two pots and pour the nose followed by the hard lead real quick. I get almost a seamless pour but the cartridge case gets cold too fast.
I want to keep the nose lead hotter.

s mac
08-09-2015, 07:32 PM
My question was, to maintain the same size soft point do you empty the brass ladle into one cavity at a time?

44man
08-10-2015, 08:36 AM
My question was, to maintain the same size soft point do you empty the brass ladle into one cavity at a time?
Yes, cast each boolit all the way. It has worked very well and accuracy tests at 50 shows the same POI. Not a single deer complained so far!
I am using a nose mix of 3# of pure and 1# of WW. Casting is almost as fast as just making a boolit. A few seconds with the rubber band is all.