PDA

View Full Version : Johnsons Paste Wax for sizeing

357Wheelgunner
08-09-2015, 05:07 AM
Wondering if anyone has tried JPW for case sizeing?

Char-Gar
08-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Wondering if anyone has tried JPW for case sizeing?

Not until about 30 second ago, and it works just fine on 38 Special cases in a steel resizing die.

Walkingwolf
08-09-2015, 01:37 PM
I have used it for years, also a can lasts for years.

357Wheelgunner
08-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Not until about 30 second ago, and it works just fine on 38 Special cases in a steel resizing die.

Excellent, they have one pound tubs of the stuff at the local Home Depo for just under $6! Lot more and a lot cheaper than that Brit stuff everyone is talking about.
thanks

nicholst55
08-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Anybody tried it on bottleneck rifle cases yet?

seaboltm
08-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Anybody tried it on bottleneck rifle cases yet?

No, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I use Imperial sizing wax, which works great. A pound of JPW would be many lifetime supplies as a sizing wax.

flint45
08-10-2015, 09:47 PM
Sounds like a good idea going to give it a try.

Lefty Red
08-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Could you use a liquid Johnson's Wax on a lube pad?

mwells72774
08-11-2015, 08:29 AM
Where could a person get JPW?

NC_JEFF
08-11-2015, 08:37 AM
The liquid would act like a clear coat when dry unless you drop the newly sized cases in some kind of cleaner.

Char-Gar
08-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Where could a person get JPW?

Lowes, Home Depot or any other place that sell floor care products.

bangerjim
08-11-2015, 02:32 PM
I use Hornady Unique sizing compound which I think is nothing more than anhydrous lanolin. Works great, smells nice and leaves your hands really soft!!!!!!

JPW is petro-based and not good at all for long term skin contact due to the VOC's in there. Skin absorption of lead, brass compounds, and other stuff is bad enough!

bangerjim

nicholst55
08-11-2015, 03:55 PM
The liquid would act like a clear coat when dry unless you drop the newly sized cases in some kind of cleaner.

That would be my concern; I'd figure on tumbling again to remove the wax after sizing.

mold maker
08-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Banger, the VOC in JPW are mostly VMP naphtha, and evaporate quickly from warm hands. Plus the volume in contact is minimal. While covering the body, could/would, not be advisable, I'm pretty sure it's use as a case lube would be OK.
I slathered it with 4" paint brushes out of 55 gal drums to protect wood from expanded urethane, and vinyl paint, for over 30 years with no ill effects.
Not saying it was the smartest thing, but necessary for the job. Even rubbing alcohol is toxic if grossly misused.

EDG
08-11-2015, 05:20 PM
I just tried it forming military 30-06 to 7.65 Argentine Mauser. It worked better than most lubes with a fresh clean dry die.
However the naphtha dried quickly. How well it works if you allow the wax to dry out I don't know but I am going to stick with Imperial because I don't like the smell of naphtha.

bangerjim
08-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Banger, the VOC in JPW are mostly VMP naphtha, and evaporate quickly from warm hands. Plus the volume in contact is minimal. While covering the body, could/would, not be advisable, I'm pretty sure it's use as a case lube would be OK.
I slathered it with 4" paint brushes out of 55 gal drums to protect wood from expanded urethane, and vinyl paint, for over 30 years with no ill effects.
Not saying it was the smartest thing, but necessary for the job. Even rubbing alcohol is toxic if grossly misused.

I use nap by the gallons in my shops, know it's properties very well, but do not saturate my hands with it as would be the case with using JPW to rub on cases and handle them while sizing.

Emergency Overview - NAPHTHA

Regulatory status
: This material is considered hazardous by the Occupational Safety and Health

Administration (OSHA) Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200).

Signal Word
: DANGER

Hazard Summary
:

Extremely flammable. Irritating to eyes and respiratory system. Affects central

nervous system. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Aspiration Hazard.

Potential Health Effects

Eyes
: High vapor concentration or contact may cause irritation and discomfort.

Skin
: Brief contact may cause slight irritation. Skin irritation leading to dermatitis may

occur upon prolonged or repeated contact. Can be absorbed through skin.

Ingestion
: Aspiration hazard if liquid is inhaled into lungs, particularly from vomiting after

ingestion. Aspiration may result in chemical pneumonia, severe lung damage,

respiratory failure and even death.

Inhalation
: Vapors or mists from this material can irritate the nose, throat, and lungs, and

can cause signs and symptoms of central nervous system depression,

depending on the concentration and duration of exposure. Inhalation of high

concentrations may cause central nervous system depression such as dizziness,

nicholst55
08-14-2015, 09:24 PM
I use nap by the gallons in my shops, know it's properties very well, but do not saturate my hands with it as would be the case with using JPW to rub on cases and handle them while sizing.

Regulatory status

Signal Word

Hazard Summary
:

Potential Health Effects

Eyes

Skin
: Brief contact may cause slight irritation. Skin irritation leading to dermatitis may

Ingestion
: Aspiration hazard if liquid is inhaled into lungs, particularly from vomiting after

Inhalation
: Vapors or mists from this material can irritate the nose, throat, and lungs, and

So, wearing nitrile gloves in a well-ventilated room sounds like a good idea.

JesterGrin_1
08-14-2015, 09:52 PM
Oh my gosh look out do not ever breath it can be toxic. It seems that today everything we do is toxic. Don't do this Don't do that. Live in a bubble and you still might get it as the bubble might be toxic lol. There is no escape. Run Forest Run lol.

As for the topic at hand I have some Johnson's paste wax both in a can and liquid but have not as of yet used it for a sizing wax as I use the RCBS stuff on there pad. Before I knew about sizing liquids I used mink oil for shoes lol.

mold maker
08-14-2015, 09:57 PM
Joy dish det is a (MSDS) hazardous material in a drum quantity.

Too much lawyer talk....

We're not taking a bath in it or substituting it for coffee.

The amount involved in sizing is insignificant.

JesterGrin_1
08-14-2015, 10:13 PM
I am sorry but many people need to calm down and breath lol. I mean heck if everything is and was so bad how did so many of our Parents and Grand Parents and Great Grand Parents live so long? Do you think that they avoided everything lol. Nope by today's standards they did everything wrong and should have kicked the bucket before they were teenagers lol.

trapper9260
08-15-2015, 05:24 AM
I use Hornady Unique sizing compound which I think is nothing more than anhydrous lanolin. Works great, smells nice and leaves your hands really soft!!!!!!

JPW is petro-based and not good at all for long term skin contact due to the VOC's in there. Skin absorption of lead, brass compounds, and other stuff is bad enough!

bangerjim
I use Unique also and works great.No problem with bottleneck or 38spl cases. I compare it to the mink oil I use on my shoes and look what was use for and all and it is look just about the same also smell the same also.

NavyVet1959
08-15-2015, 06:34 AM
Considering the hours we used to spend on our hands and knees with a rag rubbing the JPW into the wood floors and the amount we used, I seriously doubt that a little bit on your fingers is going to make much difference from a health standpoint.

Yeah, I don't miss waxing wooden floors like that at all. But then again, I was young back then and had good knees.

I had read about some people using the cable pull lubricant for resizing cases. It's listed as a "synthetic wax" and although it supposedly doesn't work that great as a bullet lube for shooting, it would probably work as a bullet lube for resizing the bullets. I tried it on a couple of .44 mag cases and it definitely seemed to make them go through the resizing die with a bit less effort, but that was when the cable pull lube was still wet. I haven't tried it after letting it dry out. Not that I actually *need* to lube the cases on the .44 mag since it is a carbide die, but that was what the press was set up for at the time and I didn't want to reconfigure it with steel dies just to do the test.

I've considered using it tumble lube powder coated bullets prior to resizing them.

bangerjim
08-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Considering the hours we used to spend on our hands and knees with a rag rubbing the JPW into the wood floors and the amount we used, I seriously doubt that a little bit on your fingers is going to make much difference from a health standpoint.

Yeah, I don't miss waxing wooden floors like that at all. But then again, I was young back then and had good knees.

I had read about some people using the cable pull lubricant for resizing cases. It's listed as a "synthetic wax" and although it supposedly doesn't work that great as a bullet lube for shooting, it would probably work as a bullet lube for resizing the bullets. I tried it on a couple of .44 mag cases and it definitely seemed to make them go through the resizing die with a bit less effort, but that was when the cable pull lube was still wet. I haven't tried it after letting it dry out. Not that I actually *need* to lube the cases on the .44 mag since it is a carbide die, but that was what the press was set up for at the time and I didn't want to reconfigure it with steel dies just to do the test.

I've considered using it tumble lube powder coated bullets prior to resizing them.

My bottles of cable pull lubes are akin to KY Jelly in look and consistency. I would not want to use that stuff. Could be hard to get off afterwards (?) and can leave a sticky lumpy mess. There may be other formulations of pull, but why not just buy the real stuff designed specifically for case lube and be done with it?

banger

bangerjim
08-15-2015, 11:24 AM
So, wearing nitrile gloves in a well-ventilated room sounds like a good idea.

It is just one of the many VOC's we can be exposed to in today's world. One should just try to minimize exposure. That stuff can and will build up in your body just like lead. That is all I was stating. And pointing out the potential hazard of the compound. Most VOC's I have used will degrade nitrile rubber rather rapidly....especially those cheap chicom *** HF sells.

I have used almost every solvent known to man for over 45 years and am still here and perfectly healthy.

That is ME.......not YOU.

Chemical and solvent exposures impact different people in different degrees.

Just be aware and be safe.

BNE
08-15-2015, 11:56 AM

Regulatory status

Signal Word

Hazard Summary
:

Potential Health Effects

Eyes

Skin

Ingestion

Inhalation

Yes kind-of. MSDS are good info, but they should be taken with a grain of salt. Read the MSDS for Silica Sand sometime. If you take it too seriously, you will never go to the beach again.

I wear ear latex gloves for most of my reloading activities because I hope to have another 40 years of the hobby. Banger is correct to be careful with long term exposure.

Geezer in NH
08-15-2015, 07:12 PM

Regulatory status

Signal Word

Hazard Summary
:

Potential Health Effects

Eyes

Skin

Ingestion

Inhalation

PS don't light up a smoke around it. :kidding:

357Wheelgunner
08-15-2015, 07:45 PM
I quit worrying about what was going to kill me back when they declared that steaks grilled over a charcoal fire were carcinogenic. :veryconfu Figured if I could not enjoy a good, rare (also bad), grilled steak with a brew of my choice (also bad) and a salad (laced with insecticides and picked by migrant workers, double bad) while sitting in my back yard (Sun's bad) on a Sunday afternoon there just was no point in worrying anyway.

When I was young my parents doused me daily with DDT before I went to school. :shock:
I also survived riding a bicycle without a helmet and skateboards without protection. I rode in cars without seat belts or multiple air bags. I ate butter and margarine by the pound and had eggs and bacon for breakfast. Played with fast cars, fast motorcycles, and fast horses. I have used chainsaws, knives, axes, and dangerous farm implements all my life. I shot my first rifle and pistol when I was four. I cast my first bullet and reloaded my first round at my daddy's knee when I was 12 and have hunted and shot my own loads ever since, and I am still here.[smilie=s:
My father survived all the above plus a World War and is still kicking at 94.:bigsmyl2:

The only thing I have learned over the years is that some day something is going to kill me, I just hope it is not in a hospital stuck full of tubes! If I have my druthers it will be at the range with a gun in my hand surrounded by fresh gun smoke (also bad) and good pard's whopping and hollering over my first clean match! (that's probably what gave me a heart attack, oh dear, bad, bad bad -HELL NO!)

:guntootsmiley: :guntootsmiley: :guntootsmiley: :guntootsmiley: :guntootsmiley: :guntootsmiley:

It's my thread and I will highjack it if I want to....highjack it if I want to....highjack it if I want to....(sung to the old tune by Leslie Gore. (if you remember that you are probably in the same boat as I am)

trapper9260
08-15-2015, 09:36 PM
I remember that song of Leslie Gore.It was a good one also.

LaPoint
08-19-2015, 08:20 AM
I have had good luck with a 50/50 mixture, by volume, of anhydrous lanolin and Petroleum jelly. I melt both ingredients together in a pan, in a hot water bath and let cool. I am still using my first batch that is over 15 yrs old. (I bought too much lanolin)

NavyVet1959
08-19-2015, 11:24 AM
I have had good luck with a 50/50 mixture, by volume, of anhydrous lanolin and Petroleum jelly. I melt both ingredients together in a pan, in a hot water bath and let cool. I am still using my first batch that is over 15 yrs old. (I bought too much lanolin)

In other words, you are reinventing this:

https://jet.com/product/da86785d596747ebbddcdb717efcb72e?jcmp=pla--ggl--health_beauty_other--personal_care_hair_care_other--.--.--.--.--.--2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=16c6eb55-2518-da29-a24d-000067a42560&kpid=da86785d596747ebbddcdb717efcb72e&gclid=CLG6oOa4tccCFQqQaQodgd4Bog

https://www.daxhaircare.com/store/images/products/77315-00601-0.png

BAGTIC
08-19-2015, 08:01 PM
From about 12 upwards the floors were my responsibility. I mopped, vacuumed. and waxed them all. I am sure that when I was a toddler I crawled all over them in nothing but a diaper. Every few nights during the summer the Mosquito Abatement District drove jeep with a DDT fogger through all the neighborhoods. DDT is still harmless to humans. It was banned for other critters safety.

I don't care for some of the liquid non drying case lubes as they can leave the case sticky and attractive to dust, etc. I gave up lubing with a pad 30 years ago. I tumble lube my cases, though I have never tried JPW for that. Tumble lubing is faster, cleaner and does a more even job especially on the necks and shoulders. I can tumble lube 500 pistol or small rifle cases in less than two minutes. Does anyone believe that manufacturers individually lube their bullets and cases much less on a pad?

The original terrorist organization is our own government. Instilling fear in people is a primary instrument in getting them to surrender their autonomy in hope of an imaginary risk free life. Such is a delusion and even if it existed would not be worth living.

357Wheelgunner
08-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Ok, back on track. I procured some Johnson's paste wax and tried it for full length sizing 357 mag shells seem to work about as well as my RCBS lube that I got the pad. I then tried it for full length resizing 45-70 shells down to 40-65 and it seemed to be a might stickier than THE RCBS lube. got the job done but it took bit more effort. I also picked up some liquid 100% lanolin and tried that. Wow! Where has this stuff been all my reloading life. Just a little dab rubbed between thumb index and middle finger was all it took to lube 20 cases and they ran through my Lee classic cast press with hardly any effort. [smilie=w:

GhostHawk
08-21-2015, 09:48 PM
I mostly use a lee hand press, ordered some Imperial sizing wax for fl resizing of 7.62x54r. Wow what a difference.

The other day I was working through a big bunch of .223 brass I recently bought here. Decided to save the imperial for the big stuff.
Started with Ben's red, that worked, but have to keep the amount down or it builds up in the die. After that I got to eyeballing my container I use for tumble lubing Ben's Liquid Lube. It had a pretty good accumulation on the sides, so I tried that.

Seemed to me to work just as good as the Imperial, but then I wasn't cranking on full size cases either. I don't know that I would tumble lube the cases. You'd have to clean that off them later. But a little smear on the neck/shoulder area worked fine.

I have never run into the lanolin to try, one of these days I will.

EDG
08-22-2015, 12:46 PM
I used to go to meetings in a building where circuit boards were soldered and cleaned using 1,1,1 triclorethane. Every time I walked in I had a nasty reaction between the amalgam fillings in my teeth and the air in that building. There were a few times I had to clean silkscreen ink and other materials off of aluminum with the same solvent and I always broke out with itching around my neck and face. Many people can tolerate some chemicals and some can't.

It is just one of the many VOC's we can be exposed to in today's world. One should just try to minimize exposure. That stuff can and will build up in your body just like lead. That is all I was stating. And pointing out the potential hazard of the compound. Most VOC's I have used will degrade nitrile rubber rather rapidly....especially those cheap chicom *** HF sells.

I have used almost every solvent known to man for over 45 years and am still here and perfectly healthy.

That is ME.......not YOU.

Chemical and solvent exposures impact different people in different degrees.

Just be aware and be safe.

bangerjim
08-22-2015, 01:12 PM
I mostly use a lee hand press, ordered some Imperial sizing wax for fl resizing of 7.62x54r. Wow what a difference.

The other day I was working through a big bunch of .223 brass I recently bought here. Decided to save the imperial for the big stuff.
Started with Ben's red, that worked, but have to keep the amount down or it builds up in the die. After that I got to eyeballing my container I use for tumble lubing Ben's Liquid Lube. It had a pretty good accumulation on the sides, so I tried that.

Seemed to me to work just as good as the Imperial, but then I wasn't cranking on full size cases either. I don't know that I would tumble lube the cases. You'd have to clean that off them later. But a little smear on the neck/shoulder area worked fine.

I have never run into the lanolin to try, one of these days I will.

Just get a $5 tub of Hornady Unique lube. GREAT stuff. I believe it is anhydrous lanolin. You just lightly tap your finger on the surface of the lube, rub it on the case with your thumb and 1st finger, and they slide thru the die like butter. And your hands stay nice and soft and smell good too!

That little tub goes a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way.

banger

bangerjim
08-22-2015, 01:20 PM
I used to go to meetings in a building where circuit boards were soldered and cleaned using 1,1,1 triclorethane. Every time I walked in I had a nasty reaction between the amalgam fillings in my teeth and the air in that building. There were a few times I had to clean silkscreen ink and other materials off of aluminum with the same solvent and I always broke out with itching around my neck and face. Many people can tolerate some chemicals and some can't.

TCE is really nasty stuff! I love it for degreasing clocks and parts. I used to buy it 5 gal at a time from a distributor. It plus one of my 2 gallon ultrasonics would cut almost any old grease or buildup. Now it seems to be almost a controlled substance. Still in some teeny cans of brake cleaner around.

TCE is the best VOC degreaser ever invented by man. The next best I have found is lacquer thinner (acetone + other VOC's), but is it is highly flammable. At least you can still buy laq thinner anywhere!
I am sure the "greenies" are going after that also.

jonp
08-22-2015, 04:16 PM
That would be my concern; I'd figure on tumbling again to remove the wax after sizing.
I would think walnut or corncob with a couple of capfuls of mineral spirits would do the the trick

jonp
08-22-2015, 04:22 PM
In other words, you are reinventing this:

https://jet.com/product/da86785d596747ebbddcdb717efcb72e?jcmp=pla--ggl--health_beauty_other--personal_care_hair_care_other--.--.--.--.--.--2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=16c6eb55-2518-da29-a24d-000067a42560&kpid=da86785d596747ebbddcdb717efcb72e&gclid=CLG6oOa4tccCFQqQaQodgd4Bog

https://www.daxhaircare.com/store/images/products/77315-00601-0.png

Or you could just order the real thing from one of our vendor sponsers