PDA

View Full Version : Happy Newbie?

Buckster
03-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Hi everyone!

I have been a reloader for many years and a couple of months ago I decided to try casting my own boolits...yes I have been a lurker on this site for a long time trying to learn from you guys with out bugging anyone one but I wanted to share today what I thought was some very good results at the range until someone noticed a few unlubed loads (lose in a canister) .357 158 grain round nose tumble lube boolits. I use the lee tumble lube process for finishing.

I am a big LEE fan and I have had excellent results with everything I have purchased from them...i even retired some of my RCBS equipment in favor of LEE equipment so there casting equipment I didn't second guess..so here is my question: I casted my boolits after fluxing using parafine as my flux (cleaned the dross) and running my temperature in the pot down to around 460 degree. I water quenched the boolits and they are coming out as shiny as a new nickel, range result were very good..just punching paper. The guy that noticed the round said they should have a dull soft finish after casting...my lead is from wheel weights and I have not tested the BNH. I picked up some lead bullets from my local supplier and I must admit..they are dull and soft if you scratch them.....I am using 4.3 grains of Titegroup as my load (a round 1190 feet per second) What am I doing wrong? :castmine:

Buckshot
03-30-2008, 12:43 AM
..............Buckster, great to have you in from the shadows :-) The external finish (color/appearance) of your boolits has nothing to do with how good they are, with one exception. If you have rounded corners or sunken spots, that's bad. You said the loads you produced were good, and good is what we're after. If somehow or the other your boolits were coming out pink, but shot well where would the issue be?

Boolit finish, or surface color/appearance is usually an indication of tempurature. Both alloy and mould.

I'm sure we're both secure enough in our manhood to shoot pink boolits, eh ?[smilie=w:

.................Buckshot

HeavyMetal
03-30-2008, 01:03 AM
I don't think your doing anything wrong! Sounds like a good mid range 357 load.

I suspect your range "buddy" doesn't now the difference between cast and swaged lead boolits!

If it shoots good and shoots where you look keep shooting it!

I'll also suggest that if you see your "Buddy" at the range again check his targets and see if they are any better than yours. One of you might be in for a surprise.

runfiverun
03-30-2008, 01:03 AM
did you see his cast boolits,?
i get mine about grey also but i run my lead and mold hotter than you
and don't water quench.
however my rifle boolits are nice and shiny [ i don't quench these either]
but that's my way, i also use a master caster quite a bit.

DLCTEX
03-30-2008, 09:08 AM
+1 on the cooler casting temp causing the shine. I'm surprised you can get good fillout at 460 degrees. I'll have to experiment with that myself. I cast some boolits for 38 Special yesterday with a 50/50 mix of ww and pure, they were shiny at 700 degrees casting temp. Dale

mooman76
03-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Shiny is what many casters strive for and is difficult to atain and get a good finished (fill out)product. I used to but life is too short and I don't see any difference in end results and I have better filled out bullets in the end. Seems you are lucky or maybe got a quick grasp on the fundementals of moulding which allot of beginners have trouble with until they have allot of bullets under their belt. If it shoots good than like Buckshot said doesn't matter what color it comes out as , even pink which seems to me someone had that trouble not too long ago!

Buckster
03-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks! Oh yeah I would shoot them pink bullets..LOL. I don't believe the range guy casted his own bullets but reloaded over the counter lead. I think all my time lurking and reading everything you guys had to say really helped me in my new found hobby. I have a .45 acp 230 grain mold on the way that should be here early next week so I will let you know how that goes,,I am like a kid waiting on a new toy :) Thanks again and I hope to be participating on this forum for a long time!

Buckshot
03-31-2008, 02:17 AM
Thanks again and I hope to be participating on this forum for a long time!

.............And we all hope you will be too! Excitement is contageous :-)

................Buckshot