PDA

View Full Version : Boolit sales?

Kulot
08-08-2015, 08:29 PM
Does anyone know of reliable sources for cast boolits cheaper than retail? I just want .457 RB for my ROA. The wife's skiddish about me doing the casting myself.

Hickory
08-08-2015, 08:48 PM
If men lisened to women all the time, everytime, there would be 300 million people living east of the Allegany mountains.
But, you need to keep a happy household too, that is a tuff balancing act for a man who has guns for a hobby and casts boolits.

Kulot
08-08-2015, 08:53 PM
I may wear her down eventually, but I figured this would be the best place to find a place, or a member, willing to do the dirty work ��

lobowolf761
08-08-2015, 09:06 PM
The best thing would be to find someone close to you to keep the cost down. You might get them cheaper by supplying or trading some lead to them in exchange for the balls. I do 454 for my Walker but not .457.

bhn22
08-08-2015, 09:22 PM
There are legal issues regarding manufacturing bullets for the purpose of selling them. Swaged muzzleloader balls aren't terribly expensive to buy, if that's the limit to your needs.

bruce381
08-09-2015, 01:29 AM
buy a cheap lee tumble lube mold $20 and a tuna can on a coleman stove melt some lead and pour a few boolits. Show her it is easy and safe if you reload thats as dangerious as you make it. reloading can blow up a gun, casting can burn you which is more deadly?

my wife knows i'm safe and I can do about anything maybe you have given her a reason for her to not "let you do it"

Turn in man card is an option also

HangFireW8
08-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Another option, list your location, find a member nearby, buy a mold and cast at their place. One Saturday and you'll have enough RB for life.

Echo
08-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Another option, list your location, find a member nearby, buy a mold and cast at their place. One Saturday and you'll have enough RB for life.
Plus One - or if you can't find a member nearby, just a friend who would let you keep your gear at his place. Cast one day, and put mold on eBay.

mongoose33
08-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Does anyone know of reliable sources for cast boolits cheaper than retail? I just want .457 RB for my ROA. The wife's skiddish about me doing the casting myself.

Do you have some kind of history that concerns her?

I presume you've been reloading for a while; it doesn't appear to me that casting is any more dangerous than reloading, it's just a different kind of thing.

If she's concerned about lead poisoning, that's something that can be dealt with via education. I talked to my doctor about this and he didn't express much concern; we both remember biting lead weights on fishing line as kids, and we seem to have turned out ok. Just do it with sufficient ventilation (or even outside), and you're fine.

If she thinks it's dangerous, you might inquire why. As long as you have safety glasses or a face shield, good clothing (or apron or whatever), long pants, shoes, and you are careful, it's really not dangerous.

gwpercle
08-09-2015, 04:59 PM
It's not that dangerous, keep lead out of your mouth and wash your hands when done.
For casting round balls for your Ruger, get a Lee electric pot and ladle , don't need no bottom pour fancy electric expensive furnace just yet. Go out in the garage , open doors and window, plug in Lee pot , melt scrap lead and cast balls. Can even do it when she's away. No lubing or sizing for balls are required so you done. Scrounge scrap lead flashing and such and you will have the least expensive ball's available. And it's fun to make your own.
Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do . And if the wife isn't around , so much the better. And don't ask her if you can cast round balls, just get your stuff and do it....
Gary

Buck Neck It
08-09-2015, 11:42 PM
Do it while she is not home--problem solved! Hint: you need 4 hours.

mold maker
08-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Put on your big boy pants.
Send the wife to get a new pair of what ever.
Be careful and do your thing.
It's hard to be proud of your new round balls while showing them with burned fingers.

country gent
08-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Kulot, WHere are you located at? Alot here are more than willing to teach a new person not only the how but the saftey precautions needed. Its a great hobby and also pretty safe as long as some simple guidelines are followed ( sort of like driving a car or operating machinery) SImple saftey equipment, Saftey Glasses, gloves, long sleaved shirt, heavy denim pants, leather covered shoes or boots an apron is optional. For the actual casting of round balls A supply of pure lead ( in your case for what your doing), a lead pot of some sorts eletric Lee, Lyman, RCBS, bottom pour or dipper will work. A mould again Lee, Lyman, RCBS, also accurate and some others. single or double cavity, (or buy 2 moulds and cast with both negating cooling time). Ladle Lyman or Rcbs. a few old towels to drop bullets on a hammer handle or stick to open sprue plates. Its really a pretty safe hobby and can be a big plus to shooting.