PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro-Melt ON-OFF Switch

MarshalG
08-08-2015, 07:45 PM
This week the ON-OFF switch on our RCBS Pro-Melt went out. I drilled out the brads holding the shell together and was easily able to get at and remove the switch. I was able to find an almost identical replacement switch at Lowe's (same connections, fits in the same hole in the shell). All-in-all took about 3 hours start to finish, and about half that time was spent wandering around in the store. I found it in Electrical, Servalite (Brand) LTA201-120U ; H# 393323 ; Rocker Switch ; LOT# SCI1114 ; ~$4.75.:bigsmyl2:

Walter Laich
08-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Good find.
I' leave mine on all the time as I am running a PID on mine

too many things
08-08-2015, 08:45 PM
the cheap **** they use is not like most of their products. They sent 2 free but last one I didn't use . hard wire and un plug

jsizemore
08-08-2015, 10:09 PM
Mine's lit so I can tell when the PID is supplying power.

Hardcast416taylor
08-09-2015, 11:41 AM
I picked up an RCBS pot awhile back that had a bum switch. A buddy of mine offered to take it and gave me a bunch of lead for it. He fixed it somehow and is happy as a frog with the pot!Robert

GBertolet
08-09-2015, 12:27 PM
I never use the switch on mine. I just pull out the plug.

Vinne
08-09-2015, 02:29 PM
I have my Lee pot plugged in a short power strip and use the switch on it. They cost only a few bucks and you don't have to tear open the pot. The same could be done for any pot as long as the switch on the pot does not fail in the open position.

gwpercle
08-13-2015, 04:17 PM
Plug in = ON
Plug out= OFF
Works every time. I Don't leave things plugged in anymore , we have storms, lightening strikes , and a power surge can fry electronics. During a hurricane a tree fell , struck a power pole in our back yard that connected to our electrical panel and the resulting power surge fried everything in our house with an electronic control.....a/c unit, stove, microwave oven, refrigerator, freezer, two T.V.'s , a washer and dryer. My melting pot wasn't plugged in and was spared ...yes ! The computer was unplugged and saved too.
I can also tell you regular power cords will not save a T.V., you have to get dedicated surge protector's to be really protected....I know , both T.V's were on "power cords with surge protection" they don't work worth diddly-squat...had to buy new ones.
Gary

shooter93
08-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Here's one for you....a whole house lightning arrestor installed. Almost all electronics....TV's. radios, computer etc. plugged directly into surge protectors. We had a near hit one night while I was sitting on the bed reading....lightning flashed so close the house lit up inside. The hair on my arms stood up and so did the cats....zoom....off they went. It cracked so loud I thought the shop was hit but it wasn't. Everything plugged into a surge protector was fried. Two TV's, computer modem etc. The only thing undamaged was one tv not plugged into a protector just into an outlet.

rockrat
08-13-2015, 06:30 PM
Had a bolt one time hit the neighbors electric fence at their shed, about 100yds away. Only thing ruined was the TV in the bedroom as , I guess, the magnetic field messed up the color display. Too bad I didn't have a degaussing tool, might have saved it.