PDA

View Full Version : Riding motorcycles on the highway

osteodoc08
08-08-2015, 07:32 PM
I recently treated myself to a metric cruiser (Yamaha V-Star 1300 Deluxe) and have taken the windscreen off it as it was just too tall. I don't like having to look through it. I am contemplating riding it to work tomorrow morning and was looking for advice from fellow riders that spend time on the highway without a windscreen. Worth it or not (to take bike in AM)? Total ride time is about 2 hours with 75 minutes on highway (I-75 through ATL). I will be wearing a full helmet (Shoei) with textile Kevlar reinforced jacket, Kevlar and padded pants, riding boots to stay warm and deflect road debris. Typically I avoid the freeways, but never had a problem on my sport bike previously (ZX6R) as I could duck behind the windscreen and the full fairings made it fairly easy.

oldfart1956
08-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Osteodoc take this for what it's worth. I've rode nothing but Goldwings for the past 30 years, prior to that almost anything. In March picked up a Sportster on a whim and decided I was gonna ride nekkid. No more fairings/windshields. just my smiling face parting the wind. That lasted about a month. I rekkin I could tolerate it for 75 minutes on the freeway if needed but...dang. Once you're used to frontal protection it's hard to give it up. Might feel good on short runs and in the twisties but out on the Interstate it was a chore. But give it a try just to see. Glad to see you're wearing the right gear. After switching to the Sportster I bought a Joe Rocket Kevlar/CE padded jacket (wonderful!) and Sliders 4.0 Cargo riding pants. Also Kevlar/padded. No dew-rags and jeans for me and not dressing up like a pirate. Audie...the Oldfart. P.S. I'm not a Harley rider, I'm a motorcyclist who happens to be riding a Harley today.

Hickory
08-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Speed limit is your friend, easier to stop at 55 than 70.
Remember that everything out there will kill you from loose stones at an intersection or curve to people pulling out in front of you to deer jumping over your handle bars.
Intersection are the worst for accidents. Be on guard every second and no sightseeing. And wear a helmet.

NavyVet1959
08-08-2015, 08:25 PM
I've ridden one type of motorcycle or another for over 40 years (minus time off while recovering from major accidents). In all these years, my impression is that when you are riding at highway speeds, you either need to be leaning into the wind or you need to have a windshield to block the wind if on a cruiser type bike where you are leaning back if you are going to be doing long rides. With the cruiser type bikes where you have the pull back style handlebars, you weight is being supported by your arms. It's like you are hanging from the bars. When you are riding without a windshield, the wind hits your chest and causes your arms to have to support more weight. After a few hours, this gets tiring. At high speeds, a sport bike and leaning into the wind works better, but for some of us old farts with bum knees, having a riding position that tried to put our knees up around our shoulders ends up causing enough pain that it's difficult to do a full day of riding. My Harley came with a windshield that was a couple of inches too high for me. Instead of looking slightly *over* the windshield, I had to look *through* it and if it rained, I couldn't see *anything*. I had a piece of plexiglass that was the right size, so I took my old windshield off and traced it out on the plexiglass, shortening it about 2" or so. I used a file on the edges to smooth them down. It was just a proof of concept to see what size I needed and then I planned on buying one in that height, but it turned out that it looked so good, I just kept it.

NavyVet1959
08-08-2015, 08:29 PM
You will save yourself a few broken bones if you go with the assumption that everyone out there is trying to *intentionally* kill you. It took me a few broken bones before I learned that lesson.

Ever seen those large truck / trailers where they have lost the retread of a tire? Well, trust me, if they fly up and slap you in the leg, they *really* hurt.

osteodoc08
08-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I took the windscreen off because I typically only ride around home and speeds don't need it. I need to look for a lower windscreen with a quick connect/disconnect. If I could just toss it on for my long trips and take it off when I got to my destination, I'd do it. Right now it's a bolt on affair and too tall.

Im gonna check the weather report one more time and make my decision. Did I mention in leaving at 4AM. That 70-72*F can get chilly in a heart beat.

Geezer in NH
08-08-2015, 09:07 PM
From my first responder days, The body damage in an accident will be to your BODY. Sorry way it is.

osteodoc08
08-08-2015, 09:24 PM
From my first responder days, The body damage in an accident will be to your BODY. Sorry way it is.

Trust me. In my line of work, im very well aware. No offense taken.

mm1ut1
08-08-2015, 09:54 PM
I ride without a windshield in Wisconsin, but for a long commute I would install a cut down windshield.

mac60
08-08-2015, 10:04 PM
I've been riding since I was 9 yrs. old. Mini bikes, Honda trail 50, numerous dirt bikes and street bikes. My current bike is a 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 classic (good bike). I've owned exactly 1 bike with a windshield - don't like 'em at all. Just reading your post, I think a windshield that you can take off/put on easily is gonna suit your needs. Riding 11 mi. each way to work in south Alabama is quite different from your situation.

snowwolfe
08-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Different strokes for different folks. You just got to try it to find out. Every bike and body build is different so tailor your bike to fit you and your riding style

Artful
08-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Just a little bit of shield in the right shape can make a large difference

Exhibit A
http://img.jpcycles.com/zoom/561-469_A.jpg

My stock KLR windscreen put the air up at the wrong place for me
it actually hit my chest and went up into my helmet - NOT GOOD
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/sites/motorcyclistonline.com/files/styles/medium_1x_/public/import/header_images/122-1001-02-o%2Bkawasaki-klr650%2Bfront-left-side-view.jpg?itok=Xfe14l06

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/moto%20crazy/tn.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/moto%20crazy/tn.jpg.html)

I went to Home Depot and with a heat gun and a homer bucket
curved my own windscreen out of Sheet Lexan to get the air where I wanted it and could see over the windscreen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/moto%20crazy/600_74007702.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/moto%20crazy/600_74007702.jpg.html)
FYI - Fleece is really good at keeping you warm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/moto%20crazy/Loopy%20STAMR%20April%207%202012/600_108220802.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/moto%20crazy/Loopy%20STAMR%20April%207%202012/600_108220802.jpg.html)
3 season Jacket from Olympic isn't bad either... down to about 38-40 F
Don't forget your Gloves.

Old trick was newspapers wrapped around you under the jacket.

Finster101
08-08-2015, 10:57 PM
The nice thing about a bike around Atlanta is you can ride in the HOV lane. I make the run from SW Fl. up to Blairsville a couple of times a year, it's about 12 hours door to door.

bob208
08-08-2015, 11:05 PM
I have been riding since 71. Norton, triumph, Harley sportster, fxrs lowglide and fx superglide. never had a windshield on any of them.

beemer
08-08-2015, 11:39 PM
I don't like to ride without a windshield. I always cut them off so I can look over the top but the slip stream goes over my helmet.

NavyVet1959
08-09-2015, 06:21 AM
My windshield mounts on the handlebars / front forks, not the frame. It's similar to this one:

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/2006_beige_harley_davidson_for_sale_in_alexandria_ va_22320_4120055421803687643.jpg

Back around '81, I bought a Kawasaki 750 with a frame mount Windjammer fairing / windshield that looked similar to this one:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-P5mLTp9sQhI/TrBPTgbGx2I/AAAAAAAAC6U/W67RJkzAa58/s800/2011-10-30_12-22-07_336.jpg

The advantage of the frame mounted ones is that wind buffeting is transferred to the frame and not the handlebars, so it doesn't tire you out as much on long rides. I don't see myself doing 1000 mile rides in a single day anymore, so I'm willing to settle for the lighter windshield in the first photo.

Drove down to Mexico for a week or so a couple of years ago. It was only 5.5 hours to the point where I crossed the border, but the last part of it was around dusk / early evening and by the time I arrived, my windshield was caked with dead bugs. It was impossible to see through them, so that's another reason why you don't want your windshield to be up above your eye level. Of course, without the windshield, all those bugs would have been caked on my chest and face. I guess I just don't enjoy the taste of grasshoppers and dragonflies that much anymore. :)

osteodoc08
08-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Got into work just fine in a hair over 2 hours. I stopped at 45 mins to stretch a bit before getting on the highway and once again when I got off the highway to top off the tank. Cars were few and as mentioned, cruised down the HOV lane. I got her up to about 85 on the speedo (which is optomistic at best) and only had a few cars buzz by me. I generally try to maintain a flow that is slightly faster than traffic. Wind wasnt that bad with jacket and full face helmet. Buffeting off the big rigs was not as troublesome as I remembered on my sport bike. I was warm (enough) and was actually a nice ride in, just a bit long. Some of the road gators (retreads) looked HUGE as I passed by them on the shoulder. Definitely wouldnt want to take one of those to the bike or person. Hoping the ride home will be as pleasant. I dont see mself doing any iron butt riding anytime soon without a wind screen though.

tnaz
08-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Glad all went well, be safe and watch for those that aren't watching for you. Ride from Fl. up 75 to Tn.. Atlanta is the worse place for me to ride. We started by-passing at Macon to 129 just to miss the heavy traffic. I also cut shield down about 2" and hit with a file. Worked great for me.

Stay Safe,

tnaz

NavyVet1959
08-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Glad all went well, be safe and watch for those that aren't watching for you. Ride from Fl. up 75 to Tn.. Atlanta is the worse place for me to ride. We started by-passing at Macon to 129 just to miss the heavy traffic. I also cut shield down about 2" and hit with a file. Worked great for me.

The problem with riding in Atlanta is that if you get stuck in traffic, the Kudzu will engulf you. :)

http://www.natgeocreative.com/comp/MM6/842/964825.jpg

Lead Fred
08-09-2015, 11:42 AM
A sport shield is between a full and a 1/4 fairing.

http://www.memphisshades.com/metric-shades/metric-sportshields

Everywhere I ride is freeway, so I always have one on.
Just debris alone is a good reason

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-09-2015, 12:53 PM
No windscreen for me.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/After%20decals_zpsaa0w8vmw.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/After%20decals_zpsaa0w8vmw.jpg.html)

starmac
08-09-2015, 03:26 PM
LOL who needs one with that thing, da bugs can out run it. lol
I bought my first cruiser in 83, a V45 magna. I rode a lot of 3 to 500 mile days back then and though a windshield didn't look COOL on it, after a month or so I just didn't have to look cool anymore.

Most of my riding has been highway miles, and am always up for a road trip, if I was going to putter around and seldom go over 100 miles I might would consider not running one, but then again, the older you get the less you really want to have to hang on the way you do without it.

snowwolfe
08-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Speaking of good rides, about 9 years ago I flew from anchorage to Kentucky where I had a deposit on a new gold wing. Bought the bike, loaded it up and 7 days later pulled into my driveway in Alaska. Best solo ride of my life. 4,500 miles in 7 days

SeabeeMan
08-09-2015, 08:42 PM
On both my Shadow ACE and my Valkyrie, I found that it wasn't the wind coming straight on that beat me up but that which come up along the engine, radiator and tank. Lowers on both of those made riding MUCH more comfortable, shield on or not. Without the shield, you feel the pressure in your chest but you don't get the buffeting that pushed your head around beat you up.

oldfart1956
08-09-2015, 08:43 PM
Osteodoc for that detachable windshield take a look at Memphis Shades. Top quality and the best mounting hardware in the business. No tools needed to remove. Available in many heights and tints. Height can be further adjusted via slots that can be elongated even more if needed. A bit pricey but well worth it. I'm not a fan of tints so went with a clear 21 inch. Best add on I put on the bike. Audie...the Oldfart..

Finster101
08-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Speaking of good rides, about 9 years ago I flew from anchorage to Kentucky where I had a deposit on a new gold wing. Bought the bike, loaded it up and 7 days later pulled into my driveway in Alaska. Best solo ride of my life. 4,500 miles in 7 days

I rode from Fla to Ak and back in 2010. 11,870 miles in three weeks. I would do it again in a heartbeat and just pick a slightly different route to see some new things. If I was independently wealthy I could live on the bike just ridin'. But I ain't so I don't.

osteodoc08
08-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Made it home safely. The traffic was much much heavier coming home. Still made good time and enjoyed the ride. Didn't care to much being boxed in between cars and concrete at times, but none the worse for wear. Much hotter with full gear on this afternoon but tolerable. Can't wait to get out this fall and up in the mountains.

NavyVet1959
08-09-2015, 10:59 PM
If you want an adventure, drive across country on one of the old US highways (e.g. US-80, etc) instead of the interstate system. You get to stop at EVERY stoplight in EVERY little pissant-town along the way. Interstates are efficient, but BORING.

I can also remember driving across country back in the early '80s and encountering gas stations that were not open 24-hours and having to just park at the pump and go to sleep while waiting on them to open the station the next morning. I was basically riding on fumes at that point and was pretty sure that I could not make it to the next little town on that road.

popper
08-10-2015, 10:26 AM
I did rife my CB350 with W.S. to work, on the freeway. Those rock haulers drop a lot of stuff. Didn't take much to change my mind. People that irrigate the streets in the winter aren't my friend either.

NavyVet1959
08-10-2015, 11:03 AM
I did rife my CB350 with W.S. to work, on the freeway. Those rock haulers drop a lot of stuff. Didn't take much to change my mind. People that irrigate the streets in the winter aren't my friend either.

I've been hit right square in the sternum with a rock that was kicked up by a car. Looked to be about 1-1.5" across. Summertime, so wasn't wearing a heavy leather jacket to absorb shock -- probably just a t-shirt or something lightweight like that. It hit hard enough that I let go of the handlebars. I've also had them hit me square in the helmet -- very loud hit.

Nowherefound
08-10-2015, 11:48 AM
For what its worth, Im not a fan of windscreens but with a properly fitted full face helmet with the right gloves and jacket I can do a nice distance of the freeway with ease, my stock seat causes more stress overtime than the freeway wind. Most of my driving is city commuting in the rain (173 days of rain on average) and I would say that the right gear can mean as much or more than a windscreen.

Boerrancher
08-10-2015, 12:43 PM
My main mode of transportation anymore is my Kawasaki Vulcan 900. It has a windshield and as much time as I spend running the interstate highways I will never own another bike with out a windshield. There is just too much debris on the roads anymore. Not only do I have a windshield I also wear a full face helmet. I have had those Kamikaze Beatles the size of a half dollar somehow escape the windshield and catch my face shield, and it is like being hit with a baseball. I think about how bad it would have been every time I scrub all the bug guts off the windshield while I am filling the tank.

Best wishes,

Joe

NavyVet1959
08-10-2015, 12:45 PM
You know you've been riding a long time when you can tell the difference in the taste of a grasshopper and a dragonfly.

richhodg66
08-10-2015, 11:09 PM
The first year in my current job, I commuted most days (75 miles each way) on a Suzuki V Strom. It has a fairing and winshield that isn't really quite tall enough, but good enough to route most of the wind over my head (I'm 5'10"). Most of the ride was interstate and I could make it in a little over an hour.

I wear good gear when I ride and could dress well enough to make that ride until it got a few degrees below 40, but it sure wasn't fun at that point. I'm about to start doing that commute again, and am having some heated hand grips installed which will help a lot. I rode that bike to Great Lakes Naval station and back for a week long workshop in April, a bit more than 600 miles each way. A sport tourer like that is the way to go for riding on slab unless you go to a full touring bike like a Gold Wing. I never could get used to the riding position of most V Twin cruisers, that leaned back position never felt like I was in control of the bike. Gotta have my feet under me and be a little more over the handle bars.

I have a KLR 650 like artful's and it is good regarding wind protection with the stock wind screen and I have put 500 mile days on it, but the vibration and other things about it will let fatigue set in much quicker than a bike that is designed for long highway rides. It is still my preferred bike for most riding, but not interstate.

starmac
08-10-2015, 11:23 PM
Arizona has some sort of night flying beetle that weighs about fifty pounds and is made of some sort of stone, sounds louder than a 12 gauge when it hits you between the eyes. lol I never got a good look at them things, to see what they are, but a june bug or large grasshopper just isn't even close to being in the same league.
I had one hit me smack in the middle of my forehead one night between Mayor and Cordes Jct. I had it cocked back running around 95 (The sweet spot on that bike) and it came close to takeing me off of it. I had to pull over and stop and shake my head a few minutes before continuing on. As much as it hurt, it was a god send as there was two sets of headlights visable and when they passed by, the second one was a stste trooper, that flying rock saved me a huge fine. lol

KenH
08-11-2015, 12:06 AM
Try getting caught in a hailstorm - I did once, and didn't ride far before we found a country store to stop..... they didn't like the looks of "bikers", even though we were short hair and clean cut..... well fairly clean anyway {g}. We were riding choppers, and that was what they didn't like.

Been on bikes since I was 9 yrs old - basic transportation for many years. The old Goldwing is getting pretty heavy these days - I'm knocking 70..... Maybe a lighter bike?

Ken H>

starmac
08-11-2015, 12:39 AM
I have a funny hailstorm biker story. I was headed north on I 45 south of houston and could easily see I was riding into one heck of a rain storm, but when I hit it it was hail. Just a few seconds before a we rode into the storm a 1 percenter, or at least a wanna be pulled up beside me in my lane. No windshield and a bandana on his head, we hit that hail, and he must have applied some brakes, because even slowing down to nothing, I never saw him after that instant.lol

NavyVet1959
08-11-2015, 01:03 AM
The old Goldwing is getting pretty heavy these days - I'm knocking 70..... Maybe a lighter bike?

I guess there's a reason they were called LEADwings. :)

The sportbikes are light, but the riding position is not necessarily all that conducive to some of us old farts.

gordie
08-11-2015, 06:38 PM
i'm looking forward to riding this fall.

my Honda A.C.E is all tuned up.

last month w/ mostly 95* days the bike is in the garage. the n. ga. mnts. are calling.

KCSO
08-11-2015, 08:34 PM
It isn't hard to trim the windscreen to the height you need. I took 2" off my last one so I just look over the screen but the wind is deflected over the top of the helmet. I ride both with and without but for highway use around here I prefer the windscreen as in NE it seems you are either following a gravel truck or a bull hauler. I started riding in about 1966 or so and by 72 I had oined the 100,000 mile club. No major accidents on the highway but I ride like everyone is out to get me, I'm not paranoid they ARE!!! I ride back and forth to work and usually get home about 2-3 AM and the deer and other critters are the real road hazard.

osteodoc08
08-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Nice bike gordie. Living in NW GA, the mountains are definitely calling. Can't wait for the first nip in the air and humidity free 80* days.

Petrol & Powder
08-11-2015, 10:38 PM
I go back and forth between bike and no bike and I'm currently in a no motorcycle phase but I've done both windscreens and no windscreens. For me, it comes down to highway vs. city riding.

If I'm in town or just riding the twisty back roads, I hate a windshield.
Any kind of highway riding for any length of time and I really want a windshield.
Next time I'll go with the 1/4 windscreens and/or sport windshield, looks like a good compromise.

In the FWIW category, I've seen big chunks of American via interstate highway and I don't care to see anymore of it by Interstate.
Interstate highways are great for trucks and people that need to cover big distances in short periods of time but they're about as scenic as a public housing project next to a landfill.

Pee Wee
08-26-2015, 11:17 PM
Take look at the Memphis shades brand. They have quick disconnect ones and different width and height, may find one to suit you

RKJ
08-27-2015, 09:08 AM
My Road king has a detachable windshield and it makes it very nice on the interstate. Around 60 it's fine without it but go up to 70 and it feels like I'm going to be blown off. Around town I'll pull it off but mostly leave it on. It pushes the air right above my helmet and I'm 6'1". Doc, as mentioned prior you can cut the screen down. This is the way I've read how to do it: (if you want to try it,I'm sure there are videos out there that show it also). Tape over the area with masking tape (a good margin on both sides of the cut) find the curve and height you want and using a jg saw (with a fine blade) start cutting then use a smooth file to clean it up. The tape is supposed to help secure the area and keep it from splintering.

seagiant
08-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Hi,
The "Beast"!

Kawasaki Concours 1400!

Like hitchin a ride on the Starship Enterprise!!!

NavyVet1959
08-27-2015, 07:15 PM
Until you try the seat on a FLHP-I, you don't know what a comfortable seat is. :)

R1200rme
08-27-2015, 07:26 PM
I enjoy a windshield now that Ive passed 50. With not fighting the wind i easily do multiple 500 mile days. In july i completed a 13 day 6000 mile trip. I also agree that the old US routes are the most interesting.

atr
08-27-2015, 07:32 PM
about the original question regarding windscreens.....
my experience has been that they are a benefit if riding in the rain. On the other hand if you encounter strong cross winds (gusts) they will catch the wind and compromise your ability to steer. The one thing they must NOT do is contribute to buffeting on your helmet/person. If you get buffeting its the wrong windscreen or the wrong adjusted height.
I currently have three different bikes, DL1000, KLR65, and HD XLH1000 and they all have windscreens. all of the windscreens are below my line of eyesight, all prevent buffeting.
Be careful out there
atr

excello
08-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Hey - Jon B in Glencoe - I like that Ruckus ! Here's my slow ride. Sorry for getting off topic.

excello