PDA

View Full Version : Sizer/luber

RustyFN
03-29-2008, 11:13 PM
I've been reading that a lot of people don't like the Lee LA because it's stays kind of sticky. I was looking around and saw a Lyman sizer/luber with heater new for $115. Would that be a good way to go? I won't be doing real high volume, just for personal use.
Rusty

osage
03-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Rusty, the first time I used LLA it did take longer then I thought it would to dry. Then I read hear about cutting it with mineral spirits. That helping shorten the dry time also. I have not found my boolits to be tacky but heating with woodstove my influence that. I have used LLA with Lee's TL boolits and with Lyman 311359. Both worked well. I also use a Lyman 450. I think you can get the Lee sizers for about what an H&I die and nose punch would cost. So if cost is also a factor the Lee system is cheeper and you can always move to a different lube/sizer later.

HeavyMetal
03-30-2008, 12:05 AM
Osage is correct the Lee sizer system used with LLA is the cheapest way to lube cast boolits, and a good place to start.

However LLA has it's limitations. I know a lot of people use it but as you increase velocity and pressure in your reloads you can find a little speed and less leading with some of the "high" performance lubes.

Speaking of which the word "lube"is a technically wrong in this application. The stuff we smear or squeeze onto our boolits is actually used as an "anti-tinning" compound. "Lube" just rolls of the tongue better.

So what are you going to "Lube"? any of the pistol rounds loaded to target velocity are going to be just fine with LLA. As a matter of fact I don't belive you'll see much of a difference in ability to group no matter which lube you use, but I'm not certain of that.

Step up to 357 or 44 mag power levels and the story changes, you'll want to check out some of the High performance lubes on the market or look at the formulas listed in the sticky's section.

Go to rifle rounds in the Contender and I find LLA a waste of time. You will desperately need to get a better lube!

So the question is: what are you shooting? The answer will tell you which direction to go and which gear you should by.

Hope this helps.

jawjaboy
03-30-2008, 07:54 AM
LLA is all I've used thus far Rus. I don't have any issues with it myself. This 450 was given to me a ~couple of years ago. The pic was on the day I mounted the heater/sizer, and started purging the old lube out of it. Still have'nt used it yet! :roll: Time. Time.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000609.jpg

monadnock#5
03-30-2008, 09:57 AM
YES! Buy the Lyman sizer and heater! It's a good deal at that price. Lyman supplies a much wider selection of sizing dies than does Lee. Down the road, even if you buy a Star lube/sizer you'll still keep the Lyman and the Lee's on the bench, used individually and in combination with each other. Each one is superior in select applications.

RustyFN
03-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm still looking to see if I can get WW to make this worth it.
Sorry I forgot to give the caliber. I just bought a RIA 1911 in 45 and want to shoot lead bullets. I haven't seen any great deals on the web and think casting would be another fun hobby like reloading. JJB, hurry up and get that chicken coup built so you can get some free time. Tell them at work you need another vacation.
Rusty

jawjaboy
03-30-2008, 01:48 PM
I'll shoot ya some tumble lubes for that 1911, Rusty. Try 'em out. I'll try to get them in the mail by next weekend. Got some 38 and 44 to try 'n pour today.

Put the chicken yard off 'til next weekend. Me and Granny a try to get it all done then. Prolly take that Monday off too. [smilie=1:

shotman
03-31-2008, 08:12 AM
saw someone said they got leading at higher vel i use the Lee lube on everything i mix 1 of tps powder moly in the 4oz bottle and have not had leading in 338-06 or 30-06 my boolets are not as tacky if you heat the lube to 140 degrees it goes on like water and dries not tacky when dry i stand them up and let drain rick