PDA

View Full Version : Fun in Alaska

starmac
08-06-2015, 03:37 PM
My neighbor tried to four wheel into his cabin last week, has never been there on a wheeler, only on horseback (which takes a while) or plane to close to it, then footback.

Anyway one river crossing was too high, so he had to turn back, and didn't get his supplies in, which he need in before hunting season or he has to use horses, as wheelers are not allowed in that unit for hunting.
His brother is up from MT for sheep season, so he, his wife and brother made another try at it, takeing an inflatable raft this time, incase the crossing was stiill to deep for the wheelers, which it was.
His wife and brother stayed at the crossing while he floated the supplies on close to his cabin, and would walk back, thinking it wouldn't take TOOOOO long. It is a 6 hour ride from the trailhead to that point, they waited 12 hours for him to return and finally left one wheeler there for him and returned getting back home late yesterday evening, he still has not made it back to his wheeler, seems like it was farther on the water and harder dragging the raft where the water was not deep enough to float it, than he anticipated. lol

Nothing important here, but thought you guys might like to hear how some of the hunting is done around here.

Duckiller
08-06-2015, 03:57 PM
A friend from grade school who has lived in Alaska for at least 40 years came to So.Cal for a class on maintaining air craft. He is an A&P mechanic,retired. Any way during some of his down time I took him to a spot in the local national forest where 4 wheelers run loose. He could not believe that intelligent people would try to break equipment that your life may depend on. I told him I wasn't sure how intelligent they were, but that tow companies made money off of their stupidity. My friend Charley doesn't do stupid things with machines because it can be a long walk home through bear country. In fairness to So. Cal. 4 wheelers there are some who don't want big tow bills and are very careful with their equipment and keep it well maintaned.

starmac
08-06-2015, 04:23 PM
We have a lot of folks here that ride them looking like they have the intentions of destroying them too. My son is one of them, and he spends big bucks on repair bills. He is young, walking out is no big deal to him, but he is usually riding with others too. I on the other hand ride alone a lot, and at my age and condition, I try really really hard not to have to use the walking out option. lol

MaryB
08-07-2015, 12:08 AM
Sounds like one of the spots I river fished... took 10 gallons of gas going up river to get to it, 15 mile hike to the nearest road if you break down. Island in the middle of the river. I always took it easy on my outboard going upriver, full throttle only in the spots it was needed to buck the current. Friends would rip up there at full throttle and overheat, hit rocks and dead heads and break things... I would get there ahead of them as they were being towed at half throttle up to the camp site we owned. We all carried spare parts and we always had a spare outboard or two just in case. Usually took 4 boats going up. 2 people to a boat, one with the camping gear, another food, third fishing gear, guns, ammo, spare gas to get back down river(6 gallons going back at worst, usually 4. So 4 spare tanks), and the 4th boat was the beer hauler!

starmac
08-07-2015, 02:59 AM
Need to get your priorities straight, that fourth boat should have been in the lead, just in case. lol

starmac
08-07-2015, 03:02 AM
Just talked to his wife, still hasn't heard from him. lol He did text his nephew yesterday and had made it to the cabin, so apparently all is well. I have a feeling is he hasn't checked in by tomorrow evening someone will be doing a fly over. lol