PDA

View Full Version : 478-387

Lloyd Smale
03-29-2008, 04:50 PM
casted some today. came out 373 out of 5050 ww/lynotype. Some may find that a tad light but its perfect for me. Only thing thats got me a tad nervous is the shallow crimp groves.

Marc2
04-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Lloyd,

Have you taken measurements yet? Are your front and rear driving bands in spec. I cast off about 50 of these and the front driving band is undersized to the point the Star sizer is squirting lube all over the bullet. Maybe I'm not running it hot enough (around 750), or using enough tin for a good fillout.

Marc

45 2.1
04-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Lloyd,

Have to taken measurements yet? Are your front and rear driving bands in spec. I cast off about 50 of these and the front driving band is undersized to the point its sizer is squirting lube all over the bullet. Maybe I'm not running it hot enough (around 750), or using enough tin for a good fillout.

Marc

All bands and the nose in front of the crimp grooves were spec'd at 0.478".

475/480
04-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Marc,
Mine cast right at .478" and I size to .476" in a Star sizer.
Lets hope your front band fills out a little better.

Sean

Lloyd,

Have you taken measurements yet? Are your front and rear driving bands in spec. I cast off about 50 of these and the front driving band is undersized to the point the Star sizer is squirting lube all over the bullet. Maybe I'm not running it hot enough (around 750), or using enough tin for a good fillout.

Marc

Lloyd Smale
04-11-2008, 08:17 PM
no problem with mine. there casting 478 out of 5050 ww/lyno.

Marc2
04-11-2008, 10:08 PM
When I took my first measurements after casting I didnt rotate the bullets in the calipers. Did that tonight and according to the calipers the bullets are out of round. Tested several and as I would rotate the bullet the rear driving bands measured .478 to .484. Rotating the front band in the calipers measured .473 to .479. I dont measure all my cast bullets this way but the ones I have did not have this kind of variation.

Could it be the mold is not closing properly? Can the alloy cause this?

Thanks,

Marc

475/480
04-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Marc
Could be the pins are out a little to far or there is a pieces of lead on the face of the mould causing the out of roundness.I even have had handles cause the mould to close off center.

Sean

When I took my first measurements after casting I didnt rotate the bullets in the calipers. Did that tonight and according to the calipers the bullets are out of round. Tested several and as I would rotate the bullet the rear driving bands measured .478 to .484. Rotating the front band in the calipers measured .473 to .479. I dont measure all my cast bullets this way but the ones I have did not have this kind of variation.

Could it be the mold is not closing properly? Can the alloy cause this?

Thanks,

Marc

Marc2
04-11-2008, 10:39 PM
475/480

Thanks,
I'll check the pins and mold face in the morning. It must be something with the way mine is closing since y'alls are throwing round bullets. Worst case I could send it to Lee and they could straighten it out. It looks like a great design. Looking forward to shooting these.

Marc

Lloyd Smale
04-12-2008, 06:04 AM
I dont think its a closing problem because if it were all of the bullet would be the right size or bigger. It should be undersized if its not closeing. Probably bored with the block set not lined up properly.

Marc2
09-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Lloyd. I think you're correct. After trying every which way to get the mold to cast I sent it back to Lee. The tech at Lee cast with the mold and found it to be out of spec but thinks it can be fixed. Anyway, should have it back shortly for another try.

Marc

Lloyd Smale
09-05-2008, 05:25 PM
should have said it shouldnt be undersized
I dont think its a closing problem because if it were all of the bullet would be the right size or bigger. It should be undersized if its not closeing. Probably bored with the block set not lined up properly.