PDA

View Full Version : Free bobcat!

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
08-05-2015, 08:23 PM
I've had one at my house all week. For those of you that chimed in on my septic system thread last winter - well - I had to get a whole new field and tank, and on a different part of my property. But, the guy I hired to do it has, alone with his caterpillar 416b, been demoing a bobcat T630. He gave me the code so I can use it in the evening and it is a workhorse. I have rebuilt/re shaped my range. Moved some large rocks. Spread 20 tons of gravel. All in 2 evenings. My dad put it best - the downside is that now that I've used one I'm going to want to buy one.

swamp
08-05-2015, 08:44 PM
They are definitely a handy piece of equipment. Brother-in-law is a farmer and has one. Used all the time.
swamp

osteodoc08
08-05-2015, 08:49 PM
I could definitely use one for a few days around the house.

Hickory
08-05-2015, 08:51 PM
A bobcat will make using a shovel obsolete.

leeggen
08-05-2015, 09:18 PM
I have a 751C setting alongside the house. Seems it decided it needed a vacation so one rod stopped working. It has a 38hp pug engine in it, seems the pugs don't like to work for long.
Bobcat's are expensive to repair but cheap to run. Guess I best get busy and get it repaired before winter comes.
CD

xacex
08-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Lol, I scraped an entire 1 acre lot flat with one, and added a nice drainage ditch. Not to mention moved 5 tons of bagged cement that had been left on the property till it was hard, and made a driveway with it. Took a while to crush with that bucket. Those darn things are real handy. I spent a winter in one with tracks. Man that was a blast. The new ones are way better with the joystick.

Fishman
08-05-2015, 09:40 PM
"El Gato!" was what the Hispanic fellow was yelling at the scrapyard when I showed up with a trailer load of stuff. My son got a huge kick out of it and so did I for that matter. A Bobcat showed up quickly after that. They sure are fun to use. My tractor and FEL are more versatile though.

Mal Paso
08-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Damn!! I thought you were giving away a live bobcat.

I got a 7,000 lb Cat track loader years ago. Way better to pick up the whole tree than break out chainsaws.

What I really want is the Caterpillar Cargo Loader from the movie Aliens.

Hawks Feather
08-05-2015, 10:05 PM
I love watching a Bobcat be operated by someone who knows what they are doing. They are just smooth.

white eagle
08-05-2015, 10:11 PM
I worked as a delivery driver for a local contractors supply
it was also a Cat sales rental as well
I rented a couple of pieces of equipment from them
and excavator and a 2 speed loader
man they were sure nice to have
excavated for my cabin and dug some tree stumps and with the loader
I cleaned my range and added more height to the berm
sure wish I still worked there for that reason

quilbilly
08-05-2015, 10:54 PM
I could definitely use one for a few days around the house.
No kidding. Here too!

skeeter2
08-06-2015, 01:07 AM
I bought a used one last winter. Got a 763G with cab. I just put steel tracks on it. I use it up on my hunting property to clear trails. I also have a brush mower for it. If you can push it over you can chop it up. It's therapeutic.

oldred
08-06-2015, 11:16 AM
I have been working on and operating Bobcats since 1972 back when they were mechanical drive using clutch packs instead of hydro drive. They can be expensive and a real pain to work on but the good news is they are tough as can be and don't require a lot of maintenance compared to most other types of Earth equipment. The main key to longevity is CLEAN OIL in the hydro system, it's simply amazing to me how many people kill their drive systems by allowing it to be contaminated by dirty oil!

Couldn't get by without my Bobcat!!!!!

rancher1913
08-06-2015, 05:24 PM
have had several over the years. current one is a john deere 317 and it does everything around the ranch from digging postholes to feed duties in the winter. bought a cat 302 trackhoe last year and the two make a heck of a pair. I will never be without a skidder now, gets in the tight corners and pens to remove manure and is just plain fun to drive.

lightman
08-06-2015, 07:36 PM
I don't like to borrow equipment, but sometimes it is nice to get things done. I would not like for something to break on my watch.

Mytmousemalibu
08-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Best friend has a 753, very handy and nice piece of equipment to have! I was using it last week as a matter of fact to build our new private pistol & rifle ranges at his place. I'll be doing more of the same this weekend. Just wish it was a turbo model, it could use a few more pony's.

MaryB
08-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Watched a newbie hop in one, fill the bucket with wet muddy dirt, drive over to where it was being dumped, raise the bucket all the way up, then hit dump so it all left at once. After we quit laughing at him we went over with a chain and a backhoe and flipped him back on the tracks...

And we had told him DO NOT raise the bucket all the way and dump this wet dirt, you will go over backwards...

Butchman205
08-06-2015, 11:37 PM
A good friend of mine is wealthy enough to get pretty much anything he wants on a whim. He enjoys working on his land with numerous $50k toys...but his favorite? A bobcat.

If someone were just starting out, I would suggest one of the larger Bobcats...even before a tractor or backhoe. The enormous amount of available implements is staggering, and as said before they are tough as nails. Keep them maintained and lubricated, and you will not find enough projects around the farm/property to wear one out.

Mytmousemalibu
08-09-2015, 01:03 AM
My friends 753 decided I needed lubricated today. Right side lift cylinder blew the gland seal and of course it blew on the inside and I got sprayed all over with hot hydraulic oil.... That was fun. Guess tomorrow i've got a cylinder to fix. I'd really like to have my own someday soon, just a tracked machine VS tires.

MaryB
08-09-2015, 02:02 AM
I would love a bobcat with small backhoe and a snowblower attachment! But prices are WAYYYY more than I can afford

rr2241tx
08-10-2015, 05:28 PM
When they are running, they are the best. When they are not running, you better be good at figuring out why not. Field service will make you wish you could call down Biblical plagues on the Service Department.

doc1876
08-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Go on line and look up "deforesting attachments. You can walk through a forest and leave a trail of mulch!

Mal Paso
08-11-2015, 11:07 AM
I would love a bobcat with small backhoe and a snowblower attachment! But prices are WAYYYY more than I can afford

The Quick-attach backhoes operated from the cab have poor visibility. The backhoes with a separate seat require you to switch seats to move the machine. My dream is one of those little excavators with a thumb of course for moving rocks and trees.

Snowblower, you want a High Flo loader as the blower will eat most of the horsepower.

Dream Big Enough.:wink: