PDA

View Full Version : H&G 319 357 Maximum in 357 Magnum & 38

FISH4BUGS
08-05-2015, 05:44 PM
I have an H&G 319 200 gr swc mould that I am playing with. I got ready to load it into 357 and thought it would be a good idea to do a dummy round to test in the Model 28 and the Rossi 92. Guess what? TOO LONG! It sticks out of the cylinder in the 28 and it won't even cycle in the Rossi.
The bullet is billed as a 357 maximum bullet but I thought it might make an interesting 357 magnum bullet. Might even try it in a 38 eventually just for chuckles.
If I could figure out how to post photos I would but I can't. So there.
The problem is that if I crimp in the very ample crimp groove, even seating as deep as possible and crimping as high as possible, the loaded round is too long to fit in the cylinder or cycle in the Rossi. I wonder what would happen if I crimp it halfway up the rather wide front drive band? There isn't a crimp groove there but it SHOULD work. I know there are other bullets (I have an H&G mould in 38 that is a 130 gr bullet without a crimp groove) that don't even have a crimp goove and get crimped on the front drive band.
Anyone do this with other bullets? Or anyone with experience with the #319? I don't want to mess this up and blow up a nice gun.....I have already done that twice in my life and I prefer to not do that again.
Many thanks......

bhn22
08-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Many 38/357 cast bullet designs have noses that are too long for S&W J & N frame cylinders. You can reduce the powder charge a bit more and crimp over the front driving band in some cases.

FISH4BUGS
08-05-2015, 07:54 PM
Many 38/357 cast bullet designs have noses that are too long for S&W J & N frame cylinders. You can reduce the powder charge a bit more and crimp over the front driving band in some cases.
I think that is really my concern: can I (should I) crimp over the front drive band. Seems like it is OK to do to me but I have done some pretty dumb things in my 40+ years of reloading. Can I crimp halfway down the band, or should I go over the shoulder of the drive band and basically hide it in the case?
I suppose I could experiment but I thought first to ask here in this wonderdful source of knowledge.
I have been playing with an H&G 39 158gr rn in 357 that is ever so slightly too long for the 28 cylinder but feeds fine in the Rossi. I suppose I could load that one over the drive band also.
Still open for discussion as to what to do. Thanks for the tip.

oger
08-06-2015, 01:09 PM
I have been playing with an H&G 127 at 225 gr. So far it works quite well with light charges of bullseye and 38sp cases even in K frame Smiths. It will work with 327 cases in my 686 but I haven't been to the range with it yet.

captaint
08-06-2015, 04:08 PM
The Lyman 358429 is a longer boolit for the 38/357. With the S&W N frames (which I love) and the shorter cylinders, it is almost a standard practice to crimp over the front band. I do it all the time. Works out OK.