PDA

View Full Version : Saeco pot pour spout clogged

michael m
08-04-2015, 08:01 AM
I just bought a Saeco pot (used) an went to try it out last night. It melted the lead in time, I stirred it up, and lifted the discharge arm, NOTHING.

I then,very,very,very carefully turned the unplugged pot over to pour out the lead in a baking sheet.

Let it set last night, and now am seeking guidance to unplug the discharge/ bottom pour spout.

I am wide open and have some ideas of my own but would prefer knowledge from people who have done the job. I don't like to make things WORST.

Thanking you all in advance.

Tatume
08-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Turn on the pot and melt some lead, then use a bent wire and pliers to unclog the spout from beneath. DO NOT put your fingers under the spout.

dondiego
08-04-2015, 12:38 PM
You might also try a propane torch on the spout to get it to flow.

Cherokee
08-04-2015, 01:08 PM
I use the bent wire and pliers. Open the plunger as much as can (not familiar with Saeco) and push the wire into the bottom hole and wiggle it around. Before melting, you might pull the plunger if you can and clean it up.

michael m
08-04-2015, 05:22 PM
The bent wire worked me, thanks all.

Bad Water Bill
08-05-2015, 04:33 AM
Using a bent paper clip is the SAFE way to open the spout as the clip wire is soft enough to not harm your spout.

Now that you can get the lead flowing drain the whole pot and shut her down.

Tomorrow fill the pot with WATER and heat it up then using a hard wooden stick scrape all sides and bottom to remove the sludge that may have been there for many years and small chunks have been breaking off from time to time and plugging your spout just when you only had 1/2 hour to cast for the upcoming deer hunt.

The freed sludge will float to the top where it can be collected and removed with your favorite large "dedicated" spoon.

Now drain your pot and pull the plug.

Leave it cool overnight so that the heat will evaporate ALL of the moisture in the pot.

If you are not sure all of the moisture is gone reheat the pot AGAIN.

Believe me you NEVER want to have the tinsel fairy visit you like I did when I was about 10-12.

A drop of sweat fell from my brow into the molten lead I was using to make lead soldiers and I was still scraping tiny particles of lead out of my forehead 30 years later as they slowly made their way to the top of the skin.

When you start melting your next batch of lead drop 2-4 ingots into the pot and put a metal coffee can over the pot and come back about 1/2 hour later to see how things now look.

Hope this helps

Dusty Bannister
08-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Always place a drip pan under the nozzle just in case something leaks. Be sure the pan is large enough to hold the contents of the pot. Stuff happens. Dusty

Butchman205
08-05-2015, 11:38 PM
Here's what I do:
Use a small propane or map gas torch to heat up the spout. Then I start with the smallest drill bit I have held in needle nose pliers. Heat up the bit where it's about to turn red...this is around 950 degrees. Insert the drill bit carefully in the spout. It will melt the lead plugging the spout, and "scrub" the dross and junk with progressively larger bits.
Works like a charm.

tmc-okc
08-07-2015, 06:08 PM
I purchased a used Saeco pot about 2 years ago and experienced the same clogged spout you describe. Following the advise I found on this forum I used the paper clip held by a pair of vice grips and cleaned the spout from below the pot. The first time I did this I got a good flow of alloy. A couple days later and the spout was again clogged. This told me I had additional problems. I drained the pot and gave it a good scrubbing with water and a hardwood stick and poured out all the loose **** ( and there was lots of it ). I removed the stem and cleaned it with a brass brush. I took a soft stick and inserted it into the seat area and twisted it around in an attempt to remove any crud in the seat. Blew it out with an air hose and let it sit overnight to evaporate and water molecules. I placed 2 1Lb ingots in the pot and turned it on. The spout was good and clear and worked well except I had a minor dribbling leak. I again drained the pot and used a valve plunger and some 400 grit valve grinding compound to swirl around in the valve seat to try to get the seat and plunger to "mate" as best I could. Cleaned the compound from the plunger, seat & pot and refilled the pot. That was a couple years ago & it has been working very well ever since - no leaks. Occasionally others have reported that the spout gets too cool to allow the molten alloy to flow or to flow properly. Some of these individuals have resorted to using a propane torch to heat up the spout and get the alloy to flow properly. I would chance a guess that their alloy was not up to temp or the conditions in the room was causing the spout to be too cold and causing the spout to either flow slow or not at all. I have not had even one problem since I cleaned everything up and got the plunger and seat to match.

Hope this helps some.

Ron H