PDA

View Full Version : Is .45/lb a fair price for range lead?

detroitcharlie
08-03-2015, 09:55 PM
I worked out an arrangement with a local range to acquire 5 gallon buckets of range lead (jackets mixed in) at .45 cents/lbs .

I figure I'll lose 25% in weight to impurities. No riffle bullets, all pistol bullets.

Thoughts?

GoBig
08-03-2015, 10:01 PM
When I processed range scrap from a local indoor range I pulled out a lot of trash. I did a small 10 pound melt and found that I got 65% of the total weight in lead. Range is pistol and 22 only. Unfortunately I didn't separate the remaining 35% to see how much copper jacket vs dirt I was getting. If yours comes out similar to mine it'll be about 70 cents per pound after you clean it, plus your cost to clean it.

detroitcharlie
08-03-2015, 10:06 PM
When I processed range scrap from a local indoor range I pulled out a lot of trash. I did a small 10 pound melt and found that I got 65% of the total weight in lead. Range is pistol and 22 only. Unfortunately I didn't separate the remaining 35% to see how much copper jacket vs dirt I was getting. If yours comes out similar to mine it'll be about 70 cents per pound after you clean it, plus your cost to clean it.

It's coming from an indoor range with bullet catchers installed, so that should save me from the dirt/sand/rocks. The range sells tons LRN reloads for patrons, so I'm thinking I might end up with a little less copper than usual.

Cowboy_Dan
08-03-2015, 11:31 PM
The last time I did a range scrap melt from indoor range lead, I got about a coffee can of dirt along with my 60# of ingots and few pounds of copper/steel. I think the traps were filled with sand because that's what the dirt looked like.

Bzcraig
08-03-2015, 11:36 PM
And don't forget you can recycle the copper for cash or trade for lead at the scrap yard.

tazman
08-03-2015, 11:48 PM
The indoor range I get scrap from sell t to me for that exact price. I get 70-75 pounds of lead bars from each 100 pounds of scrap. That figures out roughly 60 cent a pound for good lead for pistol boolits. I think it's a great deal.

boho
08-03-2015, 11:49 PM
I'd do it. My scrap dealer gave me a good price for the jackets and I got more lead there. I'm trying to build up a stash, so it sounds good to me!