PDA

View Full Version : Finding time to shoot

Leadmelter
08-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Having turned 61 this year, I shoot less now than when my kids were around. This year went to hell in May when I had surgery for cancer which was successful. Recovery has been slow. During that time, I took stock of gun room and found bullets casted in 2012 and loaded ammo.
My club is about 30 minutes from the house but their shooting schedule is filled with matches and such. I nearest state run range is about an hour.
I will be going back to work shortly for about 15 months before I retire. I am thinking I needed to trim the herd and concentrate on the guns I like.
Comments

Leadmelter
MI

lancem
08-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Life seems like that, I retired 3 years ago and have a 300 yard range in the back yard, and have to almost schedule time to shoot. Used to shoot a lot more when I had to work and travel to a range. Too much going on, one of these days though!!! I say keep what you have, one of these days you'll be glad you did. I figure I might not be able to get one but I can always get rid of one.

Love Life
08-03-2015, 09:25 PM
I am thankful for the surgery was successful and wish you an easy road to recovery.

As for the guns, I agree with your thought. I go through my safe a couple times a year, and sell off guns I have not used much. I keep the collectables and guns with sentimental value, but any other ones that have been neglected get sold.

Alley Cat
08-03-2015, 09:58 PM
Guns are meant to be shot. If you don't foresee ever shooting them much again, send them off to someone that has a present desire to shoot them. You can always buy something later if your interests change.

JWT
08-04-2015, 01:00 AM
My Dad never sold a gun he didn't miss later. Keep them if you can.

paralaska
08-04-2015, 01:29 AM
I've got many that haven't been shot in quite a while . . . But can't bring myself to get rid of them. Many have a sentimental attachment. If I had to . . . I'd probably could get rid of the ARs and polymer pistols, but was kinda saving them for the zombie apocalypse. For sure, I'll never part with Dad's and Grandpa's guns, or any of the lever actions or revolvers or 1911s. . . . Got to pass them on to the Grandkids.

Electric88
08-04-2015, 06:52 AM
I also am glad to hear that the surgery was successful for you! As a rule, I try not to sell guns. I made the mistake of selling a Mosin Nagant M44 that shot like a dream to a friend of mine so I could fund a different firearm. I regret it to this day, and try to purchase it back from him whenever I see him. So far, I have not been successful.

I see you live in SE Michigan, whereabouts? If you decide to sell any, let me know and maybe I'll come help you out in that ;)

bedbugbilly
08-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Glad your surgery went well and you are on the road to recovery. Life just seams to throw some sharp stones in the path once in a while - the trick is to keep on going and just change the way you're walking I guess. Hope all continues to go well.

I'm 62 and have been retired for a while. My health isn't the best either - I "down sized" over the past few years as well. I sold off most of my gun collection and then got hooked on vintage revolvers - seems like a person gets one "addiction" kicked and another one shows up! LOL

I understand very well where you're coming from. I think you'll find that after you retire, you will be busier than you were when you were working - a lot of retirees say the same thing. If you're going to "downsize" - I wouldn't be rash about it and do it all at once. Take your time . . . what you don't shoot now . . you may find you have a renewed interest in. I'm fortunate as I have a 50 yard range in the back yard here on the farm . . but we are thinking of selling and getting in to a house that is more "elderly friendly" as time goes on . . i.e. no steps, etc.

You have a drive to get to the range . . . but after you retire . . you may find that you have the time to make that trip and spend a morning or afternoon to shoot. A good opportunity to take the "better half" along (if she doesn't mind) and have a picnic lunch or eat out afterwards. Some people adjust to retirement better than others. I had a hard time as I was always working - I still do now but it's on other things. I usually cast in the summer - I just "plink" now so a few afternoon sessions gives me a good supply of cast boolits. I find a few hours once in a while to reload or fool around at the bench when i want to. I'm finding now that I'm focusing more on just a couple of calibers/cartridges but it keeps me busy so that's what it's all about.

Good luck in your up-coming retirement - those months until then will go by pretty fast. And good luck in your recovery and keep a positive attitude along the way . . . we are all so very blessed with many things that we often don't take the time to see or enjoy along the way. You'll find that you may develop a hankering to try other guns, cartridges, etc. . . . so as time goes along, if something is sitting and not being used, it's pretty easy to say "good bye" and use what you get out of it to get something new to try out. Best of luck to you!

reddog81
08-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Congrats on the successful surgery and recovery. I try and make it to the range once per week on Thursday or Friday afternoon. I have have to plan it out and put it on my calendar otherwise I would never make it. Try and find time at the local range where you could get in and put it on the calendar.
Thankfully I have a job where I can leave a little early occasionally. I find it a lot easier to make time one evening per week. If I go on a weekend day it seems like I spend the better part of the day driving, shooting, cleaning guns.