PDA

View Full Version : powder problem?

chevyiron420
03-29-2008, 04:43 AM
ok guy's, my 3.2 grains of unique load in my 38S&W was a bust! each charge was thrown from my RCBS measure about 1\2 grain lite, and trickled the rest of the way. my velicity was all over the place, report sound was noticably different, and primers looked inconsistant. could my powder be bad?? it smells and looks good. could this just be the wrong powder for this round?-phil:castmine:

jhrosier
03-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Unique seems to need a real good crimp to burn consistently, and still, sometimes doesn't work well for me in very light loads.
I would be inclined to use Bullseye for popper loads. I've gone down to 2.5 gr in the 38 Spl with 125 gr boolits and had very good accuracy.

Jack

44man
03-29-2008, 07:51 AM
You are confusing me? :confused: Are you loading the .38 S&W or the .38 special?
If it is the special you will have powder position problems with that light of a load.

Morgan Astorbilt
03-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Phil, Try a faster powder, either Bullseye or Red Dot work for me.
Morgan

jhrosier
03-29-2008, 08:19 AM
You are confusing me? :confused: Are you loading the .38 S&W or the .38 special?
If it is the special you will have powder position problems with that light of a load.

44man,

Phil is loading 38S&W and I am loading 38Spl.
My point was that, if Bullseye will work with very light loads in the 38Spl, it should work also in the 38S&W.
I have been using the light Bullseye load in the Spl for many years. While it seems that powder position would be a problem in the Spl, it has not been a problem in practice.
I have found, in most revolvers, that a firm crimp can make a big difference in accuracy.

Jack

bullshot
03-29-2008, 09:11 AM
I agree with Jack. I've been shooting 2.8 gr Bullseye with a 158 gr swc lead in 38 spl for 40 yrs. bullseye should work fine in the 38 S&W.

lathesmith
03-29-2008, 11:32 AM
chevy, Red Dot gave me the same problems as you mentioned having with Unique--RD is also a flake powder. As the other guys mentioned, Bullseye or WW231 seems to work much better with light charges in virtually every cartridge I have ever tried it in. Perhaps it would be easier to switch than fight. Don't worry about excess case capacity; I use a load of 3 grains of Bullseye in my 375 Winchesters, and also in my 38 S&W,with no problems and great accuracy. Try it, I think you will like it.
lathesmith