PDA

View Full Version : Air pressure device for Star sizer

johnho
10-08-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm seriously considering buying the air pressure control unit for my Star. I seem to resize too many bullets trying to keep the pressure on the lube. Has anyone used this and does it work well?

Willbird
10-08-2005, 06:41 PM
I'v never run a star WITHOUT one, but I like mine. Honestly you can probably make one if you have a lathe, not much to it, just fasten an air cyl. with a regulator jacked into it to the stop of the star lune tube, and make an aluminum piston to fasten the seal that is already in your star to the cyl. rod.

Bill

McLintock
10-10-2005, 07:52 PM
That's my next accessory for my Star, but I have to wait until I get in the house we're building so I can hook up my air compresser again with a line to where the Star will be set up. I think it'll be worth it.
McLintock

Springfield
10-17-2005, 12:17 AM
So can you get more lube in there if you have the air setup? I can only lube about 250 Big Lube bullets per stick and more would be nice. Otherwise, why bother? Turning the little handle ain't that big of a deal. At least not with soft BP lube.

johnho
10-17-2005, 04:33 PM
I finally got it and installed it this weekend. You might be able to get a little more soft lube but not hard. I am having some problems with it in that I think the nylon washer that attaches to the end of the push rod (it's the same as the one on the hand crank, just taken off and reinstalled) is too tight to make a consistent pressure. I was going great and fast until I ran out again, after a while the lube appeared. I oiled it but it hasn't helped. If it works right and applies conistent pressure it will be very much faster than the hand crank.

I think it will work much better with soft lube than the hard I am using in spite of having the heater base.

slughammer
10-20-2005, 05:33 PM
I was going great and fast until I ran out again, after a while the lube appeared.
I think it will work much better with soft lube than the hard I am using in spite of having the heater base.

Did you perhaps hit an airpocket? I use hard lube in my star and I think that melting and pouring is the best way to get it in there. No air pocket and buy the commercial size sticks to save $$$$.

Temperature and pressure are interelated, preferably you can adjust both and find a happy medium.

I was getting lube on the noses and cured it by lowering the temp and increasing the pressure. Add a little bit of hold time at the bottom of your stroke to allow the lube to flow. Just 1/2 a second and this really helps for some nice results.

LAH
11-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Make sure the washer is no tighter than needed. I lube mine with petrolumn jelly or white grease, use plenty. Not sure which bullet you're lubing but I lube 785 ea. L-429421's on average with Ballisti Cast 1X4 sticks.

johnho
11-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all replys. I loosened the washer and also don't tighten the piston tightly to the main body and all works well now. Wish I had bought this in the beginning, makes life a lot easier.

tding
05-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Has anyone ever heard of an air pressure control for an RCBS lubrisizer, simular to the one made for the Star?