PDA

View Full Version : Coffee grounds for filler???

Coastie
03-29-2008, 12:25 AM
I have read about using coffee grounds for filler in several different places.
It sounds "interesting".........has anyone here ever tried this filler? How did it work?

joeb33050
03-29-2008, 07:30 AM
I've used new coffee and old used dry coffee grounds for filler. All worked fine and as well as COW, but I'd rather use COW, and do.
joe b.

montana_charlie
03-29-2008, 12:26 PM
It sounds "interesting".........
If a guy needs large volumes of filler, and has access to the output from a restaurant, low cost might be 'interesting'...if he has the patience to dry and store the material.

Did the discussion(s) mention something about coffee grounds that make them more suitable as a filler? That quality might be 'interesting', if one exists.

But, if cream of wheat (to name one material) has been found suitable, I would need to compare that substance with dried coffee grounds to discover any differences.
For instance, equal volumes of COW and CG might have noticeably different weights. Since a filler is a 'volume thing' anyway, CG being significantly heavier (if it is) might screw up a proven load that was developed using COW. In that case, you couldn't simply decrease the amount of CG...because you require a given volume to do the 'filler' job.

Just looking at the mess that comes out of a big old coffeemaker, I guess what I am wondering is...what was it about those articles that made coffee grounds sound 'interesting'?
If the contents of the garbage can might be a treasure trove of filler, perhaps a sewer system could yield a substance for improving bullet lubes...no?

Then, as 'expended' food products become more commonly used as reloading components, the act of discharging a round of ammunition might (eventually) become known as 'flushing a rifle'...and Drano may come to replace Hoppes #9.

CM

35remington
03-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah, just so long as we don't start using Preparation H.

Ricochet
03-29-2008, 01:46 PM
As much as we sit in front of these computers, I'd bet someone on here is using it...

Razor
03-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Do you think KY jelly might be toooo much of a lube ??:twisted:[smilie=w:

Razor:castmine:

Freightman
03-29-2008, 02:40 PM
I myself and my wife make enough used coffee grounds to keep me shooting for ever. I was and am concerned with the moister drawing of the CG over a period of time. Any thoughts on this?

Jim
03-29-2008, 04:05 PM
I've used ground coffee many times over as filler in straight cases. It's compressible, so the pressure can be regulated. I do NOT use used grounds, nor do I buy cheap coffee. Considering the amount of ground coffee I use as filler compared to what I use for consumption, I can afford to use it in my ammo as well as my brew.

dnepr
03-29-2008, 04:23 PM
The boom of a big bore and the smell of coffee . man that would have to really perk a guy up . I have to try that.

Newtire
03-29-2008, 06:18 PM
If you are trying to keep the loads subsonic, be sure & use de-caf.

randyrat
03-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Regular coffee is for +P rounds only. Here i took it for grantid you all knew that. One more: Dark roast/ kona blend coffee is only for the Argentine rifle loads.

badgeredd
03-29-2008, 06:38 PM
This thread is why I love this forum! You guys are all full of.....................HUMOR!

waksupi
03-29-2008, 06:54 PM
If you are trying to keep the loads subsonic, be sure & use de-caf.

Your correct. Wouldn't want jittery boolits!

Ricochet
03-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Hmmm, dried bacon bits would smell good with that...

RustyFN
03-29-2008, 11:17 PM
I have heard of people using oatmeal to help clean the bore, and it supposedly works. I wonder if coffee grounds would do the same thing.
Rusty

dnepr
03-30-2008, 11:02 AM
so the next question is do I use tea for my .303 british[smilie=1::-D

miestro_jerry
03-30-2008, 11:19 AM
The problem I see is that my guns will be up all night and have the jitters. :mrgreen:

Jerry

sundog
03-30-2008, 11:22 AM
dnepr, that or grated lime rinds...

montana_charlie
03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Uhhh...hold up a minute, guys.

Ever since I started learning about BPCR shooting, I have run across information about needing certain factors to be met before your bullet 'goes to sleep'. And, in BPCR, reaching that sleeping bullet condition is considered to be a 'good thing'...perhaps even a necessary thing.

Is it possible that the effects of caffein contamination relegates the use of CG (coffee grounds) or GC (ground coffee) to non-BPCR use only?

It may be that the 'punch' provided by smokeless powders will render a bullet immediately unconcious...assuring that it is thoroughly asleep before exiting the muzzle. If true, CG and GC fillers would not be deleterious to accuracy when 'white' propellants are used.

Of course, all of this is totally theoretical on my part, having no experience with fillers in ammunition. For me, use of a 'filler' means adding CC (crumbled crackers) to my bowl of chili...or CO (chopped onion) to my pinto beans.

I've used ground coffee many times over as filler in straight cases.
I do NOT use used grounds,
THAT comment certainly does answer one of my questions about this whole subject. I could (perhaps) accept having GC in carefully-crafted ammunition, but using CG would inspire thoughts like, "Garbage in...garbage out."

And now (with more insight about the effects of caffein), I believe that 'wide awake garbage out' would be a BPCR disaster.

CM

carpetman
03-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Maybe have a duplex filler. Substitute donuts for the cream of wheat and use the coffee as well and have a cop load.

Lead melter
03-30-2008, 03:18 PM
The way I see it is that you guys are really opening up a can of worms here. I mean, look at what you are doing....coffee grounds! Now do we have to figure out which load like cream, cream and sugar, or just sugar. Not to mention all the synthetic sweeteners! Dark roast, breakfast roast, "silk" roast, etc., etc., etc.
Then, when all this works out, do we have to use Starbucks coffee for our more "refined" loads and Coffee House coffee for our everyday loads?
And after all this mess gets worked out, think about your loads having to stop to go to the bathroom. "Hold on just a minute Mister Deer, my ammo has just stepped out to pee."
You guys are just asking for trouble here.:veryconfu

Ricochet
03-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Ever since I started learning about BPCR shooting, I have run across information about needing certain factors to be met before your bullet 'goes to sleep'. And, in BPCR, reaching that sleeping bullet condition is considered to be a 'good thing'...perhaps even a necessary thing.
We know that warm milk promotes sleeping. So try some powdered milk for filler.

montana_charlie
03-31-2008, 01:07 PM
We know that warm milk promotes sleeping. So try some powdered milk for filler.
If it makes sense to induce sleep through the use of dairy products, perhaps some of them should be examined for use in the bullet lube.

If the lube can put the bullet to sleep before it's pressed into the cartridge case...and keep it asleep throughout it's storage period...that might even prevent the antimony from 'migrating into the center' of the bullet.

What I'm getting at is...we may have finally discovered something that makes it useful to produce (yuk!) cottage cheese.
CM

bcp477
03-31-2008, 01:27 PM
:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

This is the MOST entertaining thread I've read on this site yet ! Hilarious !

armoredman
03-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Newtire, that was baaaaaad! :)

charger 1
04-01-2008, 05:02 AM
So will somebody please tell me what GC means? now I could have an lbt, lfn,GC x 2. Too much for me. I need a coffee

sniper
04-01-2008, 09:21 AM
All that caffeine, even from used grounds couldn't do anything good to accuracy! :roll: Poor, nervous rifles! Oh, the humanity!

Then we'd blame the boolits, the brass, the powder, the scope mounting, the bag softness, roundness of our Robert E. LEE or Lemon moulds, and the phase of the moon, before reducing or eliminating the caffeine intake. Oh, the discussions we could have! :mrgreen:

Jim
04-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Ric,
Don't use bacon bits. Too much sodium.

montana_charlie
04-01-2008, 02:41 PM
So will somebody please tell me what GC means?
CG = coffee grounds - wet, nasty stuff from the garbage can which must be dried before use as a cartridge filler.

CC = crumbled crackers - good filler for chili, with or without beans.

CO = chopped onion - excellent filler for hot pinto beans (which are normally scooped from the cast iron pot with a ladle because they clog up bottom spouts).

GC = ground coffee - new, fresh smelling product which requires no special treatment before use as a filler in cartridges. The decaffinated type is best used as a filler because it should not keep the bullet awake...and is totally useless for making drinkable coffee.

CM

Ricochet
04-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Well, bacon grease for loob, then.

runfiverun
04-01-2008, 04:41 PM
think i am gonna go ahead and not use any of the above suggestions,
besides i am laughing so hard i don't think i could get any of them in a case

sniper
04-02-2008, 02:03 AM
think i am gonna go ahead and not use any of the above suggestions,
besides i am laughing so hard i don't think i could get any of them in a case

What, the suggestions?:mrgreen: Lemme see...4.5gr of Suggestion under a HPHB LYMAN 132 1/2 gr. SWC...HOW do it shoot? :Fire:

HORNET
04-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Ricochet, that bacon grease might work but you should have bought some of those extra loob grooves that were in selling & swapping a few weeks ago....[smilie=1:

MT Gianni
04-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Well, bacon grease for loob, then.

Not concerned with barrel salts?

Ricochet
04-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Wonder if salt raises barrel pressure as it does blood pressure?

As for pinto beans, they've never clogged my bottom spout.

Calamity Jake
04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I sure am glad I'm wearing my BOOTS. Cause it's getting DEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP in here
and a good laugh too, I might add.