PDA

View Full Version : Powder drop settings

trixter
08-02-2015, 09:19 AM

This is much easier that trying to actually read the numbers and record them. "Picture worth a 1000 words" kind of thing. I printed them out and but them in the reloading book.

Yodogsandman
08-02-2015, 09:44 AM
That should get you close but, I would still confirm the setting each run with a trusted scale.

44man
08-02-2015, 09:54 AM
For my Redding I have settings for every charge for every powder in my book. They are close enough to fine tune on the scale. The numbers are easy to read. Very good measure.

blikseme300
08-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Documenting what we do in the loading room is very important IMHO. Our memory is not as good as we think it is and it helps to document everything. Today I was cleaning up my loading bench and came across a few containers of CB's that I had no idea what they were alloy wise or what they were intended for. Back into the scrap bucket they went. Typically I use a Sharpie on containers to document what things are but these were not so lucky. [smilie=b:

This thread came along at the right time as I was earlier thinking about the slip-up in my documentation that forced me to dump good looking CB's as I had no idea what they were intended for. All the containers of my loaded rounds are well market with details but components need the same attention.

Blackwater
08-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Awfully good advice above on all counts. I lost my book somehow some years ago with all the settings in it, and haven't recreated it since. I've been doing it long enough on that old Ohaus measure that I can zero in on it pretty quick, but it'd save some time if I could find that old notebook again, or recreate one, which I've simply forgotten to do since I lost it.

Frank V
08-03-2015, 11:34 AM
That should get you close but, I would still confirm the setting each run with a trusted scale.

This is VERY good advise!
I never throw a charge from a measure that I don't check with a balance beam scale until I verify it's accuracy, then depending on the powder I use a trickler to trickle up the charge to where I want it. I use the scale to set my measure.

Cowboy_Dan
08-03-2015, 12:58 PM
My reloading log has the powder measure setting noted by (nearly) every load. But I have transitioned to weighing every charge and seating the boolit while the next charge dampens on the scale. Hasn't slowed me down at all, but I've never loaded progressively. That will be changing soon as my Lee Automator arrived yesterday, I will be trying it out as soon as I acquire the rest of the needed parts. [smilie=w:

Geezer in NH
08-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Not being OCD/Anal :kidding: I just set the measure every load I want. Takes about 1-2 minutes tops. I record the loads and what seems to work I will set the measure again. The little marks on the measure really do not mean anything in regards to the actual weight of the powder being used.

Charlie U.
08-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Not being OCD/Anal :kidding: I just set the measure every load I want. Takes about 1-2 minutes tops. I record the loads and what seems to work I will set the measure again. The little marks on the measure really do not mean anything in regards to the actual weight of the powder being used.

Well said Geezer......Exactly the same for me,

Nothing wrong with being a little OCD/Anal in this line of work :oops:

Mike W1
08-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Don't think they make em' anymore but years ago RCBS had a micrometer gizmo for their powder measure. The recorded settings have been pretty much on the money for repeatability but I do check with a scale before loading.

Frank V
08-06-2015, 08:23 PM
It is always a great idea to check settings with a reliable scale.
I like the balance beam scales.

50target
08-10-2015, 08:22 PM
Reading this thread got me to thinking about my time years ago working part time in the evenings and Sat at the local gun store. We had everything you could want in equipment, for anything. One Sat. I waited on a Doctor who wanted to get set up for reloading. Got him everything but the scale and got a couple to show him and he stated that he didn't need one and I asked if he already had one. Nope, and wasn't going to buy one since the Lyman 55 had graduation marks on the sliders and a scale was wasted money. Try as I might he would not consider it. Left with everything but the scale. I would like to know how it went for him. I wouldn't shoot his reloads. My scale is always used in setting my measure and checking the throws. Reloading to me is primarily a mechanical operation with a LOT of attention to detail. And if you're tired, do it another day.
Bob

Czech_too
08-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Some years ago I changed out the RCBS Uniflow from the as issued powder adjustment screw to the micrometer type, which is still available BTW. I make a note of the setting on the micrometer for a given load and use this 'note' as a starting point when going back to this load. Everything is still checked against the beam scale though and the micrometer setting is adjusted accordingly.

Brian

Frank V
08-11-2015, 08:50 PM
A good set of scales is mandatory for me.

Just today I went to reload some & found the charge setting set screw had loosened allowing the drum to change just a bit. My scales told me my powder charge wasn't right. Without a good set of scales I might have wrecked a nice rifle. I won't be without one! Also ALWAYS verify your powder measure setting before loading, even if you've been using the same powder charge for days!