PDA

View Full Version : First boolits en route!

tinhorn97062
08-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Well, it's been a slow process of acquiring everything that I need but I believe I'm finally able to cast some boolits. A wonderful member of the site blessed me with a mold and some WW alloy a while ago, but I didn't have anything to melt it with. Yesterday, I went to Walmart and got a 1000w hot plate for $10, and a cheap sst pan and ladle from the goodwill store. So- $15 later, I'm ready to melt some lead.

Next week I'll order a Lee push thru sizer at .460diam, and I've got some Lyman Alox to get me going for now. So- later today, I'll be pouring some boolits! I'm super excited about it. 😬👏

I've spent an inordinate amount of time reading on this website, and am just amazed at the wealth of knowledge available for the ones who are willing to invest some time and learn. To all the various ones who have posted your experience, wisdom, tips, and tricks- thank you!

bangerjim
08-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Be aware that most cooking hotplates can have a built-in temp limiter and will not get to the 750F or so you need to melt lead efficiently. And they take a very long time to melt anything. Nothing beats the high BTU concentration of a turkey fryer propane flame to melt COWW's!

A LEE 4-20 bottom pour is 750 watts but it is built specifically to melt lead (not heat cooking ware) and the heat is concentrated in the 20# cavity for fast and efficient melting and casting. I can bring a cold 18# load to casting temp in around 20 minutes or so.

But give it a try. Just do not get discourage because you may have the incorrect equipment. Starting out with the right equipment sure make learning a totally new operation much better.

Let us know how you get along.

banger