PDA

View Full Version : removing breech plug Help

kckid101
08-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Hello all i have a traditions side lock i'm to get the breech plug out of. So far no luck seems to be about 3/8 sq. but might be metric, kinda got it bugger up and still no luck. have it socking in Kroil maybe drain it out and abit of heat, the haed part is getting something that twist on the plug. Any idea's or suggestion are welcome and thanks in advance Kevin

VintageRifle
08-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Why does it need to come off?

Omnivore
08-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Yes; let's not speak of the how until we've addressed the why. Why on Earth do you want the breech plug removed? Is it defective? Well it probably is now but I mean, was it defective before you started?

There are very few reasons to ever remove one. Stripped nipple threads? Leave it alone and tap the hole to a larger size. Stuck charge? Blow it out with CO2. You want to re-bore the barrel? OK, maybe remove the plug.

The typical breech plug for a sidelock muzzleloader is not going to have any particular "size" (metric or otherwise) to the flats used to turn it in. That's because the plug is not intended to be removed and replaced. Most such guns will never have the plug removed. Ever.

bubba.50
08-01-2015, 01:15 PM
if traditions continued to use the same breech set-up as cva i'd advise against ever tryin' to remove the breechplug as the barrel/drum/breechplug are an integrated assembly that is machined together & will never go back together right even if you do get it apart.

mooman76
08-01-2015, 01:29 PM
I agree with everyone else. It should only be as a very last resort. It has a special patient breech system and so particular you cannot buy a replacement for them. If you have removed the drum you have already set yourself up for trouble. I'm not sure why but some people think that is the first thing you need to do when acquiring a used ML.

kckid101
08-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Thanks too all i realize maybe not a wise choice i'll leave as is and bore brush it.The only reason i tryed in my in line came out somewhat easy; Thanks to all KEVIN

bigted
08-01-2015, 01:50 PM
I agree with above ... the most troublesome "used" rifle I have gotten was cleaned up from rust and pits that tore up my patch's before any ignition could be taken ... so what I did is to hand lap the barrel with "water base valve grinding compound" and after the lapping it became smooth and easy to load and didn't tear the patch's even with rough looking bore [by the way ... this older very abused TC Renegade is now one of the most accurate 54 cal rifles I own.

don't know the why of your need to remove the plug, but there is plenty of help here for whatever problem exists and these fellers would bend over backward to help.

dondiego
08-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Thanks too all i realize maybe not a wise choice i'll leave as is and bore brush it.The only reason i tryed in my in line came out somewhat easy; Thanks to all KEVIN

The breech plugs in inlines are designed to be removed.

Tatume
08-02-2015, 07:23 AM
I removed the breech plug from a T/C Renegade barrel with no problems. With the barrel in a carpenters vice (wood lined jaws), an open end wrench was found that fit the flats, and the plug came right out. Then I replaced the breech plug with another and built an underhammer rifle. (The T/C barrel was a take-off from a gun that was rebarreled).

That's not to say I recommend doing it. The threads are an interference fit, and are designed to be permanently installed. This was a special case, in which the barrel was to be repurposed.

kckid101
08-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the advice. after seeing what you folks have said it won't be taken out.Just thought it would a nice way to run the bore brush all the way through ,bad idea. nothing hurt at this point so all is goodTHANKS Kevin

bob208
08-02-2015, 12:57 PM
I have removed and replaced breech plugs with out problems when they had to be removed. first is to know how the rifle comes apart. yes traditions uses the cva system. next either have the right tools or be prepared to make or buy them. a bench vise and big adjustable wrench are not even in the running for the right tools.

LuckyDog
08-03-2015, 11:03 AM
Does Pedersoli use the CVA system for their breech plugs? They are Italian.

Just won a Pedersoli Traditional Hawken at the shoot yesterday.

bob208
08-03-2015, 11:59 AM
I don't know about them. but any with the screw in bolster. treat them as such it is the safer way to do it.

OverMax
08-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Kind'a wish you would have commented your desire here on C/B first before trying to do
I've heard some plugs are screwed & rusted so tight that a barrel vice & rosin were required tools for their removal. BTW: You're not to only'est fellow who has thought about removing his plug. We all have at one time or another. For many of us its been just in thought though not in practice Thank Goodness.

John Taylor
08-09-2015, 04:07 PM
If it has a screw in bolster, that would need to come out first as it is threaded into the side of the breach plug. If the breach needs to come out then sometime heat is the only way to get them to move. I have a flint lock in the shop that is to bored out to a larger caliber. Having no way to get the flash hole insert out I had to bore it out before the breach plug could be removed.