PDA

View Full Version : Annealing...

BCB
07-31-2015, 04:03 PM
Does annealing really help make neck tension the same with a given brand of brass?...

Example: I have 40 pieces of Hornady 6.8 SPC brass that has been fired numerous times. When sizing, I notice different resistances when the case neck is sized while passing over the expander plug...

Will annealing help this?...

Thanks...BCB

country gent
07-31-2015, 04:31 PM
It should help in several ways. Annealing is a softening process to remove hardness and allow metal to form easily and more accuratly. Annealing the neck shoulder area will help with spring back over the expander ball and more consistant neck tensions also if you "bump" the shoulder back it will be more accurate. One of the side effects of brass hardening is brittleness necks not annealed will crack sooner than those annealed.

leftiye
08-01-2015, 07:27 AM
Could be differences in neck thickness too.

Maven
08-01-2015, 08:32 AM
"One of the side effects of brass hardening is brittleness necks not annealed will crack sooner than those annealed." ...country gent

A big thumbs up on this advice! (Don't ask!)

Smoke4320
08-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Absolutely correct ..
I have seen and had numerous examples of annealing benefits .. Brass lasting much longer, groups getting tighter and ok course the extreme benefit when doing case forming